Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Girlfriend failed her driving test. No minors just one major. She was reversing around a corner when a car parked across the road moved off. As she didn't apply the brakes or anticipate it happening she failed. Balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

This is a sign at the end of my road. Whoever put it up, I salute you :D
    Image461.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Girlfriend failed her driving test. No minors just one major. She was reversing around a corner when a car parked across the road moved off. As she didn't apply the brakes or anticipate it happening she failed. Balls

Dammit!
    She'll get it next time, just tell her not to be like me and make sure to arrive at the right time. :P

CianRyan wrote: »
    Dammit!
    She'll get it next time, just tell her not to be like me and make sure to arrive at the right time. :P
    She is booked in again and the tester is going to get her a cancellation sooner if he can. She can't sit another one for 10 days according to the UK system. Mind you her test car was pretty sweet. A brand new Civic 2.2CDTI with loads of extras..........I told her not to get too comfortable in it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

ba_barabus wrote: »

Funny that, when I was doing my test and doing the reverse around a corner, which was also slightly uphill, I spotted a car coming down the road towards me and I applied the brakes to wait for them to pass. The tester sat there and told me to keep reversing until he told me to stop, so I had to tell him I was waiting until the car coming had passed before I was going to continue... He half sheepishly responded with, "oh, right you are...:o"

(Safe to say I passed first time :P )

• Advertisement

I really want to go out and fit my lowering springs, I wish I had all the tools. :(

I wish that self service garage was still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Met Vectra today, he kindly gave me some detailing samples, but enough about him....THE CAR:eek:
    I know it looks shiny in photos but I honestly have never seen as clean a car, ever. It's truly stunning (I may have put my hand to my mouth and made some girly noises)
    Doesn't half give me something to aspire to!
    And eh....he's a lovely man too :D

I really want to go out and fit my lowering springs, I wish I had all the tools. :(

I wish that self service garage was still around.

What you missing Cian? If you were in Cork we'd have it done in an hour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

x2 cian.

i have a set of spring compressors here in wicklow if you fancy a spin :)

on an extremely related note, i fitted my lowering springs today for the summer season. "slammed on her arse" out there so it is :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

x2 cian.

on an extremely related note, i fitted my lowering springs today for the summer season. "slammed on her arse" out there so it is :pac:

Pics!

• Advertisement

Pics!

2 minutes :)

2 minutes :)

NOW

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

IK09 wrote: »
    Theres one of them Opel GT's in Galway aswell, used to see it in a driveway near endas school on my way home from school on the bus. Its white with a single black racing stripe down the middle. For some reason i think i remember it having a 1990 reg. it was beautiful.

I often see them at shows. When I was in primary school in the 80's one of the teachers had one. :cool: But he was a d1ck! :mad: Aren't they all! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I often see them at shows. When I was in primary school in the 80's one of the teachers had one. :cool: But he was a d1ck! :mad: Aren't they all! :p

Neighbour of my folks had one for years. From memory he laid it and a cortina up around early/mid 90s and just let them rot. Was always in awe of the GT as we passed by in our hatchback Kadett

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Me and my baby hit a milestone today :D
    [IMG][/img]027-1_zpsb43f2ee4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Autosport wrote: »
    Me and my baby hit a milestone today :D
    How long do you have the car? It's an Opel of some sort I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

MugMugs wrote: »
    Try holding down a full time job at the same time.

This study melarkey is TOTES killing my train spotting time ! :(

I see your full time job and raise you 2 small kids!!!
    Brain is turning to mush.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Bpmull wrote: »
    How long do you have the car? It's an Opel of some sort I assume.

Opel Astra which i have now owned 7 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Ordered one of these today in Halfords in Galway as i didn't fancy driving to limerick for one, serious piece of kit for the money, UK halfords are looking for 350 sterling for them.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_868945_langId_-1_categoryId_212600

• Advertisement

you went ahead with it so, good luck with it :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

RoverJames wrote: »
    Not too bad...

http://www.micksgarage.com/service-parts/spark-plugs/alfa-romeo/gtv/gtv/1994-2005/2.0-t.spark-16v/9427/

Bosch ones < €40 for the lot :)

40k kms they are specced for.

Bloody things cost me 10 each for the 156!

Alfa survived today, I'm half convinced it's how the OH floors it that drives it to splutter on startup, but will get it checked out.

And entirely unrelated, I went into work today as I've done for the past three weeks expecting all sorts of levels of ****.

Some descended, but it was a good day, a really good day, I'm still working lunacy hours, but can see the difference after three weeks which is kinda cool to me (I like work challenges :D)

What you missing Cian? If you were in Cork we'd have it done in an hour :D

Well, it's easier to tell you what I do have.
    A decent trolly jack, two axle stands and the worst bunch of mix match wrenches you've ever seen. :pac:
    My dad's never been handy so I've never had the luxury of inheriting tools.
    x2 cian.

If you're offering a hand I'll supply the pizza. :D

Ordered one of these today in Halfords in Galway as i didn't fancy driving to limerick for one, serious piece of kit for the money, UK halfords are looking for 350 sterling for them.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_868945_langId_-1_categoryId_212600

Was thinking of getting one of them too but I'm not 100% gone on the look of them for some reason.

Well, it's easier to tell you what I do have.
    A decent trolly jack, two axle stands and the worst bunch of mix match wrenches you've ever seen. :pac:
    My dad's never been handy so I've never had the luxury of inheriting tools.
    I have a different problem my dad has every tool known to man literally anything you could want and more. But trying to find anything that's a different story I've often looked for over an hour in the garage for a particular tool. I'd eventually find it but the garage being so unorganised annoys me. And ever time I attempt to organise it it always ends up messy again.

I have a different problem my dad has every tool known to man literally anything you could want and more. But trying to find anything that's a different story I've often looked for over an hour in the garage for a particular tool. I'd eventually find it but the garage being so unorganised annoys me. And ever time I attempt to organise it it always ends up messy again.

I'll gladly swap!
    At least you can eventually get the job done, I can rarely get it started. :p

I'll gladly swap!
    At least you can eventually get the job done, I can rarely get it started. :p

I suppose when you put it like that. Still you'd be sick off searching for stuff. It's a pity you can't just go into a garage and be able to rent a lift and tools for a few hours. It be ideal for people who don't have a load of space and only need to do a few jobs to there car.

I suppose when you put it like that. Still you'd be sick off searching for stuff. It's a pity you can't just go into a garage and be able to rent a lift and tools for a few hours. It be ideal for people who don't have a load of space and only need to do a few jobs to there car.

That's just the thing, there used to be a garage just like that down the road from me, it didn't last long though.

Pretty common in the UK though AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

RoverJames wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting one of them too but I'm not 100% gone on the look of them for some reason.

Aux in (in back of glovebox zzz)
    USB port (Don't have)
    Bluetooth (Deffo don't have)
    Transit looking Head unit (Do have!)

No brainer for $180 quid tbh

• Advertisement

That's just the thing, there used to be a garage just like that down the road from me, it didn't last long though.

Pretty common in the UK though AFAIK.

It's a good idea maybe there's just not enough business for them in Ireland although Id of thought there would be plenty of people if they locate in built up areas. The insurance costs are probably very high if you have a legit set up. People coming in using lifts who don't normally use them insurance companies would consider it risky. That's the main reason I could think of why the places closed down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement