Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Nope, I haven't. I worked in an engineering fabrication job for almost 2years so I know grinders etc! :)
    I didn't even tighten the plate when I put it on first, hand tight only.
    My dad and his apprentice said it was broken too :p

Is it the female thread thing (i.e. the part that you screw the backing plate into) that's broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

It's literally the locking mechanism. On a usual grinder you press the lock button and spin the disc til it catches on the lock right? And then you undo the disc with the special grinder key yeah?
    Well the locking mech is not catching no matter what. When you press the button it still spins freely which leaves the only way for getting the plate off by holding it with your hand and trying to undo the nut with a spanner. This is the equivalent of holding a disc while undoing it which is obviously not the way it's meant to be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Can you not hold it with a spanner? The 5 inch grinder has a button and a cutout for a spanner if it fails

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

What you're meant to do is use the supplied spanner to hold the nut-type receiver in the D/A and screw in the backing plate. Then hold the spanner and tighten the backing plate with your hand. Then to remove it, use the spanner to hold the receiver and unscrew the backing plate. There was no such thing as a lock button on any of the D/A's I've had or used.

No it's not like a usual grinder that way dgt. I mean I could undo it each time if I wanted but it's a pain in the arse and after paying €200 for the thing I'm not gonna accept it if it's broken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

What you're meant to do is use the supplied spanner to hold the nut-type receiver in the D/A and screw in the backing plate. Then hold the spanner and tighten the backing plate with your hand. Then to remove it, use the spanner to hold the receiver and unscrew the backing plate. There was no such thing as a lock button on any of the D/A's I've had or used.

Aye I was under the same illusion.

Didn't get a spanner with it? :(
    I was wondering that because my 14" spanner barely fits in between the gap to hold the nut, I presume the one supplied is pretty skinny?
    I would have no problem doing it that way MM but it was feckin tight! I had to hold it while my dad screwed it off, seems a crap way to get it off that's all.
    Even now I have it in my hand I see that even if the nut receiver was locked you'd still have to undo it with your hand anyway? Which leaves the question why the hell is the button there so?

Didn't get a spanner with it? :(
    I was wondering that because my 14" spanner barely fits in between the gap to hold the nut, I presume the one supplied is pretty skinny?
    I would have no problem doing it that way MM but it was feckin tight! I had to hold it while my dad screwed it off, seems a crap way to get it off that's all.

9 inch grinder is an absolute bastard to unscrew, same principle though.

Bang up some pictures of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Still have not sold the car..:(

a few test pilots that didnt know what they were looking for and a guy that want to swap for his BMW 5 series(no thanks). Recently noticed the front inner CV boots, inner tie rod and gaitors need replacing so more money unless I sell as is for cheaper. I think its the only FTO for sale that still has Tax and NCT.

Aye they are, especially with a splitter disc on!
    Na I can see now that a locking button wouldn't even work. I just thought as I was trying to loosen the backing plate with my hand and the thing was warping tht it couldn't possibly be right! But it appears it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Finally made it to the nct centre today at the third attempt. Failed on 2 things. 1, a bulb gone, which was news to me as I checked them Friday and the computer didn't tell me, and 2, the oil leak I have on the engine. Need to get that looked at post haste, anyone dealt with oil leaks on 9-5 2 litre engines before? Likely spots? I would have thought rocker cover myself as its quite high but I'm only guessing.

Still have not sold the car..:(

a few test pilots that didnt know what they were looking for and a guy that want to swap for his BMW 5 series(no thanks). Recently noticed the front inner CV boots, inner tie rod and gaitors need replacing so more money unless I sell as is for cheaper. I think its the only FTO for sale that still has Tax and NCT.

Trust me Chris I know how you feel! No airgead around

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Not a car but I really thought I'd have my amp sold by now. Loads of interest but no money. :(

just bumped my ad on donedeal there, 878 views in 23days, back to 0 again! :pac:

im even thinking of putting it on adverts things are so bad :eek:

No one wants to part with money. One example: I had a set of wheels for a Corolla (of all cars) and no one wanted to buy them. Nice 5 spoke design, 15 inch.

Weighed in and got about £30 for them. Pity

Same with car parts, no one wants to spend. So I end up binning a fair few boxes of parts per week. It's fairly sad to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

CianRyan wrote: »
    Not a car but I really thought I'd have my amp sold by now. Loads of interest but no money. :(

you should have put 'No CASH no LISTEN' into your ad, lol.

bah, got pipped at the last second by €1 for led rear lights :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Richiefinan

Had my subaru legacy b4 robbed from ticknock last night. The reg is 03wd2777. It was my pride and joy, if anybody knows where it is please contact me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Had my subaru legacy b4 robbed from ticknock last night. The reg is 03wd2777. It was my pride and joy, if anybody knows where it is please contact me.

Just saw your poster in Centra - bad buzz lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Whats the quickest/safest route from Dublin to Donegal?? Have to do this route in 2 weeks time and would like other peoples opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Damn.. I really like them too (though not enough to rob yours). What colour, distinguishing features?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Autosport wrote: »
    Whats the quickest/safest route from Dublin to Donegal?? Have to do this route in 2 weeks time and would like other peoples opinions.
    Depends on what part of Donegal your going to? N3s not a bad road, but if your going to somewhere like Letterkenny or further North, N2/A5 would be a better way.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Damn.. I really like them too (though not enough to rob yours). What colour, distinguishing features?

Navy from what I saw.

Autosport wrote: »

If it were me I'd just follow up the N3 the whole way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

dar83 wrote: »
    Well it was more a question of giving it away really. But if you want to give me anything for it a tenner will do to cover petrol or whatever if I meet you somewhere to give it. I'll unroll it and see how much is left first if you want. :)

Ah no i'll take it for a few beer tokens i'll be in Dublin next weekend if that suits you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

Have you got a link with any pics that people can throw up on Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

guttenberg wrote: »
    Depends on what part of Donegal your going to? N3s not a bad road, but if your going to somewhere like Letterkenny or further North, N2/A5 would be a better way.

I'll be going to LetterKenny. Thanks for the replies :)

Ooooh almost forgot! kilianmanning was that you outside Dunshaughlin earlier circa half 3? Your'e the only person on here I can think of with a mk3 Golf! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

dgt wrote: »
    Ooooh almost forgot! kilianmanning was that you outside Dunshaughlin earlier circa half 3? Your'e the only person on here I can think of with a mk3 Golf! :)
    Haha yes was me ;)

• Advertisement

Haha yes was me ;)

I only copped at the last second as you went by! Must keep a better eye out in future :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement