Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

dgt wrote: »
    You know it's a sh*te night when I'm on this while in a nightclub....! Palarse in Navan, come up to the boredom sofa and say hello :) oh wait, no one else in their right mind goes here! :pac:

On the plus side, I'm the designated driver so I get to call the shots and not wait round for feckin chips and talking crap to yobbos! :)

Wait, I'd rather be asleep.... :(

A fun thing to do as designated driver is to close your left eye (the one your passengers can see) and tell them that you are going to see how long you can drive for without looking. You can ask them to call out leftish and rightish to you, when it's safe to do so you can drift over towards the curb or the middle of the road. Freaks them out :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Whats its like insurance wise with regards to age ?

well im 22, 5 years no claims with a full license and its €550 for me which is good i think.
    Matt Simis wrote: »
    Then buy something with a big engine or big power then!?

i only earn €230 working 2 days a week, not living at home so can't really afford big big power i don't think. a nippy 1600 would keep me happy for now. when im qualified i'l go hardcore.
    Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Toyotafanboi, don't be worried about the fuel consumption. I averaged 40.6mpg on my last tank (all fairly careful driving). Diesel fans eat your hearts out :pac:

i know in my last 1600 corolla, albeit the totally different 1600 vvti, i could barely scrape 30mpg. i reckon i'm getting around the 40mpg ballpark from the glanza too but i'm not really watching all that closely. how big is the tank in the levin? the glanzas is about the sie of a thimble :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i actually wouldnt mind a levin either, only in black though! not too many around here either, id probably change my mind once i saw the interior though :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

A fun thing to do as designated driver is to close your left eye (the one your passengers can see) and tell them that you are going to see how long you can drive for without looking. You can ask them to call out leftish and rightish to you, when it's safe to do so you can drift over towards the curb or the middle of the road. Freaks them out :pac::pac:

It's that windy here it'd wander by itself :p

i know in my last 1600 corolla, albeit the totally different 1600 vvti, i could barely scrape 30mpg. i reckon i'm getting around the 40mpg ballpark from the glanza too but i'm not really watching all that closely. how big is the tank in the levin? the glanzas is about the sie of a thimble :pac:

The tank in the Levin is a thimble too. the most I ever managed to put into it was 43l, and it was very very empty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

well im 22, 5 years no claims with a full license and its €550 for me which is good i think.

That's not bad at all, I'm a couple of years younger with a full license but am still building up my no claims (not even 1 year yet, if only short periods where reconised :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'd have to have a red BZR, they look so good.

with deep bronze alloys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

ae111's rock, I'd have another in the morning if I didnt need my 4x4, love them, great cars and reliable as rocks when looked after properly, some have problems with bottom end bearings - but thats only when theyre starved of oil, because they do use a good drop - like any good toyota :P

The age old question: a stock/light bolt on mods Glanza wouldnt even smell the smoke from a healthy ae111.

Great car in my opinion: good power of circa 160bhp, only weigh a shade over 1000kg -rev happy 8200rpm limit, (can easily take 9000 if silvertop rods are used with 300deg+ cams) lsd box, light arse, plenty of lift off oversteer - seriously reliable, i put over 60,000 miles on mine and all it ever needed was a wheel bearing, and lots of oil :pac:

They sound unreal at full whack with the plenum removed freeing the itb's, but its counter productive power-wise

heres an ancient pic of mine (taken with a calculator)

dsc000661w.jpg

And here's where it ended its life :mad::mad: :( taken from outside my house, bastards robbed it for the brakes - weren't even anything special - rebuilt calipers, dimpled discs, ebc pads, braided lines & msc stopper :confused: :mad:

08072010010.jpg

Had just bought a full set of koni inserts & springs for it, 2 of the inserts were in the boot along with a fair amount of tools, so 3 years later ive still no tools and a front and a rear yellow koni for any ae1** series toyota if anyone wants them :pac:

i actually wouldnt mind a levin either, only in black though! not too many around here either, id probably change my mind once i saw the interior though :o

It's not too bad TBH. Sure the plastics are thin and some bits of it do rattle but all of the things you actually touch are nice. Steering wheel, gear knob, hand break, all the switches are positive too. Just don't expect BMW materials and you won't be disappointed.:)
    The spec is good too.

• Advertisement

Ill tell ya...at least id beat one noeadays, i lost out to a Levin before in the Astra and im still bitter! :D

Cheensbo wrote: »
    ae111's rock, I'd have another in the morning if I didnt need my 4x4, love them, great cars and reliable as rocks when looked after properly, some have problems with bottom end bearings - but thats only when theyre starved of oil, because they do use a good drop - like any good toyota :P

The age old question: a stock/light bolt on mods Glanza wouldnt even smell the smoke from a healthy ae111.

Great car in my opinion: good power of circa 160bhp, only weigh a shade over 1000kg -rev happy 8200rpm limit, (can easily take 9000 if silvertop rods are used with 300deg+ cams) lsd box, light arse, plenty of lift off oversteer - seriously reliable, i put over 60,000 miles on mine and all it ever needed was a wheel bearing, and lots of oil :pac:

They sound unreal at full whack with the plenum removed freeing the itb's, but its counter productive power-wise

heres an ancient pic of mine (taken with a calculator)

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/9916/dsc000661w.jpg

And here's where it ended its life :mad::mad: :( taken from outside my house, bastards robbed it for the brakes - weren't even anything special - rebuilt calipers, dimpled discs, ebc pads, braided lines & msc stopper :confused: :mad:

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9340/08072010010.jpg

Had just bought a full set of koni inserts & springs for it, 2 of the inserts were in the boot along with a fair amount of tools, so 3 years later ive still no tools and a front and a rear yellow koni for any ae1** series toyota if anyone wants them :pac:

Looked like a lovely one, you would have to wonder what sort of scum would do that to it:mad::mad::mad:

jesus that's heartbreaking to looks at :(, never ever a nice thing to see. can i ask was it alarmed?

to be honest i think off the mark a glanza would be quicker, but top end a levin would own it. just my guestimation, no facts or common sense was applied to that idea. the only "proper" drag race i've ever had was my rs vitz against a silvertop 20v, and the vitz was way ahead until 80km/h ish and then the levin was miles ahead before i knew it, kind of got me thinking they were a bit slow off the mark, but he could have just been a **** driver too.

ca3_image3.jpg

the interiors are a bit mundane by european standards, but i think you have to accept that when buying any toyota :pac: i could certainly deal with it.

Ill tell ya...at least id beat one noeadays, i lost out to a Levin before in the Astra and im still bitter! :D

Yours is a 325 yeah?

I hate to break it to you but the Levin has more power per ton than it :cool::cool:

Looked like a lovely one, you would have to wonder what sort of scum would do that to it:mad::mad::mad:

Ive always known whodunnit, it was left like that about 3 miles from my house :mad: just never had proof.
    jesus that's heartbreaking to looks at :(, never ever a nice thing to see. can i ask was it alarmed?

to be honest i think off the mark a glanza would be quicker, but top end a levin would own it. just my guestimation, no facts or common sense was applied to that idea. the only "proper" drag race i've ever had was my rs vitz against a silvertop 20v, and the vitz was way ahead until 80km/h ish and then the levin was miles ahead before i knew it, kind of got me thinking they were a bit slow off the mark, but he could have just been a **** driver too.

the interiors are a bit mundane by european standards, but i think you have to accept that when buying any toyota :pac: i could certainly deal with it.

Wasnt alarmed, i was a 'mean student' at the time, too mean to get one in it :o heindseight eh, had planned on keeping that car forever :(

re: dragrace - in first gear the turbo would own it, due to no puff in lower revs in a 20v, but once it gets singing in 2nd gear the starlets wouldn't hold a candle.

Couldnt agree more about the interiors though, boring and rattly, but fit for purpose, seats arent the worst, plus the pillarless doors are bmw-esque :p

do you think an alarm would have prevented it? so many of them being stolen lately. seen one on the owners club a few months back, very similar to yours was stolen from the chaps house, video of it on youtube a day or two later having the sack driven out of it, wheels spun until it was down to bare rims, then handbrake turned into a pole and flipped on its roof. it'd make you sick to your stomach :(

do you think an alarm would have prevented it? so many of them being stolen lately. seen one on the owners club a few months back, very similar to yours was stolen from the chaps house, video of it on youtube a day or two later having the sack driven out of it, wheels spun until it was down to bare rims, then handbrake turned into a pole and flipped on its roof. it'd make you sick to your stomach :(

I dont know tbh, it was right outside my window, so probably :( professional theives though so would have been a minor inconvenience to them i guess.

This was back in 2010, but any of the high powered import stuff is in danger all the time, parts are worth too much & they're far too easy to steal

Jesus i remember seeing that, I still pop onto that forum now and then, don't post anymore though.

In saying that, id have another ae111 in the morning, if even just for a track car, some day maybe :)

That's absolutely shocking to see that, really heartbreaking stuff. Hope the people who did that get caught out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I picked up a car for my mother, there a few weeks back. Myself and my father went 60-40 on the prece. A 99 Yaris, 100,000 miles on the clock. Brand new N.C.T, 8 months tax, new front and back tyres and brake pads done. Full Toyota service history from new, pure spotless inside, really the only problem with it is that, there is a few little nicks on the paint work. It also has a bit of surface rust on the wheel arch, but I'll be able to fix that myself. Not a single knock or rattle from it though. I have pics of it on my phone I must upload them very soon, when I find my usb connection. :)

done similar for my mam there last december BW. 99 yaris, 110k, dealer history from new, they're a nice simple little car :) would like to see pictures of yours. done a few jobs myself, full service, nearly new tyres for the front, fitted a cd player, new (second hand) front bumper, just tidying up jobs, very happy with it. not much to look at though.

xaza1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Remember to keep oil in it for her this time, man. :p

Back at home and I'm feeling sad getting out of the car... I prob have everyone sickened at this stage but its such a wonderful place to be!!! :cool:

I should have spent the €12 on diesel instead, much more fun driving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Had a boardsie come over my place yesterday. He wanted to see if he will fit in to mx5! He is 6+ feet? ( is that right? I don't know your magic measurement numbers! :D).

So I managed to fit him inside of it and give him a spin after. Hopefully we will have one more mx5 driver! I took a picture of him next to the car, you won't believe that he fits inside and still manages to feel okay! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Yours is a 325 yeah?

I hate to break it to you but the Levin has more power per ton than it :cool::cool:
    Given the relative low power of both cars and relative low speeds of street antics, torque per ton is more telling, as is torque spread.

Things like Smart cars and Audi A2's have similarly high power per ton.. Which are deceptively high as the cars are so light.

Yours is a 325 yeah?

I still reckon I'd 'av one over a stretch :D

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Given the relative low power of both cars and relative low speeds of street antics, torque per ton is more telling, as is torque spread.

Things like Smart cars and Audi A2's have similarly high power per ton.. Which are deceptively high as the cars are so light.
    I still reckon I'd 'av one over a stretch :D

The BMW would probably win. RWD so it'll hook up much better off the line. Once the levin is hooking up well it'll probably catch up but never pass. The BMW will also monster it on top speed as the levin is limited to 180km/h.

What bhp do Levins usually make on Irish fuel too?

What bhp do Levins usually make on Irish fuel too?

They are normally arround 155-160 afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

done similar for my mam there last december BW. 99 yaris, 110k, dealer history from new, they're a nice simple little car :) would like to see pictures of yours. done a few jobs myself, full service, nearly new tyres for the front, fitted a cd player, new (second hand) front bumper, just tidying up jobs, very happy with it. not much to look at though.

http://i45.tinypic.com/xaza1.jpg

Last december, ah you bought yours first so. I just copied you.

That looks clean dude. A nice little car to work on though, as well as being very economical. But the Yaris seems to hold it's value very well.
    CianRyan wrote: »
    Remember to keep oil in it for her this time, man. :p

Haha, I will as I paid 60% of the price. :p:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

They are normally arround 155-160 afaik.

On a paper, yet to see them do that much power. Funny enough back in the day had a go on straight against a Levin in mx5 ( rolling start ). He was in front of me when we started and he did not got away from me even an inch. Considering mazda is only 140hp, I was expecting levin to run away from me.
    I know one levin is not a standart for all levins, but I found 160hp number just to be on paper. Same as altezza, 220hp on paper and if you got 160hp, then count yourself lucky.
    In levins defence we can say that a lot of them are half dead thanks to boy racing.
    If it is going 325 vs levin as over all package I would go for 325 and I am not german head.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement