Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Wire brush small paint brush basin of fairy liquid and water and halfords pot of brake caliper paint i guess, they been in the shed for ages, also got some decals for the calipers but i ordered the wrong colour.

I've used brake caliper paint before, followed the instructions and after a month or two, it all flaked off. I did the calipers and disc hubs on the 335 recently and didn't bother taking pics and doing a DIY for here although I wanted to.

I spent half an hour on each corner sanding all the crap off them. There was rust, caked-on brake dust etc on them, then masked them all up. I used Hammerite direct to rust spray paint (3 coats leaving 15 mins between each coat and heated each coat with a heat gun) followed by 3 coats of Halfords petrol resistant lacquer and the same with the heat gun.

I've painted the calipers on all the cars I've had and this has to be the best job I've done so far. You need the direct to rust paint because it's thick and very tough and sticks very well. The petrol resistant lacquer is so that it doesn't break down and flake off like normal lacquer would over time from using wheel cleaning products.

It was a lot of work and took me 10 hours to do each side and I did one side on the Saturday and the other on the Sunday.

Then the following weekend I washed the car and the paint was rough. It turned out that the each side of the car was covered in overspray so I had to clay the whole car, apply a fresh coat of Jetseal and a fresh coat of Collinite but it was fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Can i come to your house MM, you might do my grilles and fog surrounds while you at it :p

We can use your shed !

Can i come to your house MM, you might do my grilles and fog surrounds while you at it :p

We can use your shed !

Good one!! Hahahaha

I don't have a shed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

MugMugs wrote: »
    Had to bring a crew cab Renault master up the M1. Not a pleasant drive at all!

Yikes, I'd say that was mental, I saw one small truck on the M50 and he was crawling along. Serious gusts out there now, RTE are saying sustained of 80kph and gusts up to 130. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Good one!! Hahahaha

I don't have a shed :(

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQy4Bck65mJg3Cs67z9AbRTTR6MDSkUetn03JLoNI7p9FSAwf2nGQ

I don't either, my uncle has a big farming complex of sheds but they are full of beasts :p

Itching to make a 2nd attempt at doing my grilles fog surrounds and putting some DMB decals on the car on the days im off, but removing the grilles the first time i only got as far as removing the slam panel for the airbox and somehow managed to break the bonnet locking mechanism.

Gonna use aerosol paint this time and will try to be braver, loads of how to's on the ST owners club but i keep chickening out and ofc the weather isn't helping with no shed.

We should build a shed !

• Advertisement

That reminds me, on Sunday I took out my grilles, scrubbed them with degreaser and used the Gtechnic trim restorer on the black plastic parts and also did the same on the rubber air intake scoop behind them. Looks good I must say and will have top class beading and fook all dirt-clinging properties :D

In the likes of Oz and parts of the US, garages are a normality due to the sun. It should have been the same in Ireland when houses were being built because of the rain! People should have forseseen the current rise in detailing but oh no, we'll build a spare room that we'll use once in a blue moon if at all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

You could just move somewhere that has a garage if it's that big an issue!

Or throw a tow hitch on the back, hook up a trailer and head down to the builders yard for some bricks...

You could just move somewhere that has a garage if it's that big an issue!

I never said it was a big issue :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Why not build a shed/garage??? With all the boardies help it shouldnt take too long ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Autosport wrote: »
    Why not build a shed/garage??? With all the boardies help it shouldnt take too long ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

RoverJames wrote: »
    How did the NCT retest go?

Good question, car was NCT'd 29th of January and should have been retested by the 29th February. It wasn't due to not being ready and it's now booked for May 20th. I might ring them though and try and get an earlier date. The car is all ready to go though (just needs the wheels aligned) thanks to a regular on here helping me out! What am I saying, he more than helped me out, his knowledge is absolutely astounding. Truly is. :)

In total the parts bill to get it through the NCT was under €120, but it had a service and spark plugs and other suspension stuff done so it's driving absolutely spot on. In total it's probably had about €800 spent on it, money well spent IMO and there's more to spend but that can wait until the summer.

I'm itching to get that disc to show it to my mates and laugh at them who doubted the 156! :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

I've used brake caliper paint before, followed the instructions and after a month or two, it all flaked off. I did the calipers and disc hubs on the 335 recently and didn't bother taking pics and doing a DIY for here although I wanted to.

I spent half an hour on each corner sanding all the crap off them. There was rust, caked-on brake dust etc on them, then masked them all up. I used Hammerite direct to rust spray paint (3 coats leaving 15 mins between each coat and heated each coat with a heat gun) followed by 3 coats of Halfords petrol resistant lacquer and the same with the heat gun.

I've painted the calipers on all the cars I've had and this has to be the best job I've done so far. You need the direct to rust paint because it's thick and very tough and sticks very well. The petrol resistant lacquer is so that it doesn't break down and flake off like normal lacquer would over time from using wheel cleaning products.

It was a lot of work and took me 10 hours to do each side and I did one side on the Saturday and the other on the Sunday.

Then the following weekend I washed the car and the paint was rough. It turned out that the each side of the car was covered in overspray so I had to clay the whole car, apply a fresh coat of Jetseal and a fresh coat of Collinite but it was fun :D

I wish I could buy a car with nice already painted brembo calipers, with a nice decal.
    Oh wait.........I did:P

pred racer wrote: »
    I wish I could buy a car with nice already painted brembo calipers, with a nice decal.
    Oh wait.........I did:P

I wouldn't mind but the brakes on mine are the same as on the E92 M3 but just not painted :(

166man wrote: »
    I'm itching to get that disc to show it to my mates and laugh at them who doubted the 156! :o:D

Fair play.

I can't see them being surprised with a passed NCT tbh though, unless they are total gnomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Eeeep! Just booked my tickets for this http://www.iwm.org.uk/events/iwm-duxford/flying-legends-air-show

Oh let those Merlin engines roar! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Eeeep! Just booked my tickets for this http://www.iwm.org.uk/events/iwm-duxford/flying-legends-air-show

Oh let those Merlin engines roar! :D:D:D

Have been to 2 duxford airshows. They're unreal :cool:

When I arrived home yesterday, I checked my post and there was a letter from the gardai:eek: I was thinking I've finally been caught speeding.
    But no, it was the renewal for my gun licence:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

pred racer wrote: »
    When I arrived home yesterday, I checked my post and there was a letter from the gardai:eek: I was thinking I've finally been caught speeding.
    But no, it was the renewal for my gun licence:D

How much are they even nowadays?I remember paying more for my air rifle than my auld fella's shot gun, never made sense to me but I guess that's the way they are classed.

How much are they even nowadays?I remember paying more for my air rifle than my auld fella's shot gun, never made sense to me but I guess that's the way they are classed.

I just checked the form and it doesnt say, iirc it was €80 last time for a 3yr licence for a shotgun.

I must put the form somewhere noticeable in case my daughters boyfriend comes over:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

RoverJames wrote: »
    Fair play.

I can't see them being surprised with a passed NCT tbh though, unless they are total gnomes.

Cheers, I won't be surprised to be honest. Most of them haven't a notion tbh, many of them drive 1.4 Golfs...;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

What's going on on the Navan road near the M50? There's a Garda car parked horrid quare pushing a shiny Audi....?!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Dgt, lots of fiat tempra action on rte1 now

No saorview in the house..... What was it? Might gawk at it on t'internet after :)

Might have the amp p/x soon so I was poking around Done Deal.
    1.8 NA MX5 on English plates for €750, I checked VRT and it's more than the car. €893. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

CianRyan wrote: »
    Might have the amp p/x soon so I was poking around Done Deal.
    1.8 NA MX5 on English plates for €750, I checked VRT and it's more than the car. €893. :eek:

Welcome to Ireland! Enjoy your stay! :D

**** it, lads. I'm out.

I'll send a card from Tokyo. :p

I can now confirm that if you hit the barrier in the express lane of the toll booth on the m7 it doesnt damage your car:D

And dont bring a car you like into the underground car park at the Mater hospital, some of the turns are very tight between pillars (they have rubber guards put on as an obvious afterthought) and a 159 is not that big.

Parked between a bm and a nice jag (i always do this when space is tight) everyone reversed in perfectly between the lines and I just barely had enough room to get out my door.(Im not that fat ;) )

My youngest sister has just bought a boggo spec mondeo which she is very proud of, every time I used a feature in my car, I happily pointed out to her that her car didnt have it :D By portlaoise she wasnt talking to any of the rest of us ( my mother and another sister) and when we pointed out a recovery truck with 2 mondeos on it she threw a proper strop:pac:

My dad was awake, all tubes removed, only oxygen left, looked remarkably well

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What's that car park in town (Dublin Biko!;)) that's as tight as a nun's fanny? Trinity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    What's that car park in town (Dublin Biko!;)) that's as tight as a nun's fanny? Trinity?

Yep trinity street car park, god that place is awful :mad:

MCMLXXV wrote: »

Temple bar can be a tight auld squeeze in places...!

• Advertisement

Do the people who design these things use an old fiat 500 as the average car?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement