Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Question.

Does driving, for example a Landcruiser with a trailer containing plant equipment for reward require the use of a Tachograph? (This would probably be in the EB category licence)

Second question. Same as the first but driving personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

BX 19 wrote: »
    Question.

Does driving, for example a Landcruiser with a trailer containing plant equipment for reward require the use of a Tachograph? (This would probably be in the EB category licence)

GVW not over 3500kg?

Question.

No

No

Big clampdown on trailer licences recently in parts of Cork apparently, a friend got a day in court.

dgt wrote: »
    GVW not over 3500kg?

Presumably a Landcruiser with a double axle would exceed a 3.5t GVW. Hence the need for an EB Licence.

RoverJames wrote: »
    No

No

Big clampdown on trailer licences recently in parts of Cork apparently, a friend got a day in court.

Is it like that in the UK? Curious now. Was watching a video and it came up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7vOacDwejg4#t=873s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Copper grease hasn't stopped the squealing, warped discs I guess.
    Was changing into 4th too at high revs and messed it up and got a very stiff clunk through the gearstick, all seems well but it did not feel nice! :(

Was changing into 4th too at high revs and messed it up and got a very stiff clunk through the gearstick, all seems well but it did not feel nice! :(

Changed the oil yet?

Gearbox oil? Nope. It's probably full of bits of metal Now from that missed change :o

Gearbox oil? Nope. It's probably full of bits of metal Now from that missed change :o

Change it and see how you go :)

I'll get around to it for sure. It's just in the Astra It used grind when you missed a high at high revs. This was a bad clunk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Gearbox oil change? Cough cough ahem...:D

Changes aren't as smooth anymore in mine either...

166man wrote: »
    Gearbox oil change? Cough cough ahem...:D

Decided if you be willing to sacrifice the undertray? As the nuts are seized solid and will most likely ring when I look at it.... Plusgas won't work, gas is not an option!!! :pac:

Gearbox oil change? ..............

Oil change won't improve that in most case unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

dgt wrote: »
    Decided if you be willing to sacrifice the undertray? As the nuts are seized solid and will most likely ring when I look at it.... Plusgas won't work, gas is not an option!!! :pac:

Probably would tbh! Gotta get another wishbone and I also reckon the ARB bushes are shot too meaning sub frame off according to Alfa Owner! :eek:

Just keep telling myself I love my car...:D

Hows the blue one going?

Probably would tbh! Gotta get another wishbone and I also reckon the ARB bushes are shot too meaning sub frame off according to Alfa Owner! :eek:

Just keep telling myself I love my car...:D

Hows the blue one going?

Don't remind me of arb's on Fiat's 156's... A right arse to change is being quite polite! :eek:

Can you check them? For the bother of changing them I'd invest in a polyurethane set for peace of mind :)

As for that car, I have more of it shredded, handbrake gearlever unit all removed. Will fit straight into the Bravo, surprise surprise :pac:

Am thinking of some trickery with the top mounts, I mightn't be able to use my coilys....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

My mums new yaris was keyed today :mad: the mark is about 5cm long and very deep, it goes down to the metal. So pissed off.

Ah fcuk, sorry to hear that.

Any idea how much a garage would charge to change the gearbox and diff oil? Hoping to get that, plugs and oil change done soon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Any idea how much a garage would charge to change the gearbox and diff oil? Hoping to get that, plugs and oil change done soon

Do it yourself no?

I could, probably, and I will look into it alright. Would need to make up a device to pump the fluid in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Ask George Dalton, he has just done mine (gearbox not diff ;) ) it made a noticable difference to the alfa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I could, probably, and I will look into it alright. Would need to make up a device to pump the fluid in

Go to a veterinary practise or pharmacy and get the biggest syringe they have to offer. That worked for my mechanic on the RX8 ;)

Yeah I've heard syringes are good alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

pred racer wrote: »
    Ask George Dalton, he has just done mine (gearbox not diff ;) ) it made a noticable difference to the alfa.

Btw thanks to George Dalton for

Full service,
    including all fluids,
    All filters,
    Removing and replacing my gammy sump plug
    New headlight,
    All front bulbs (thank fook I dont have to do them)
    2 new front tyres
    Tracking (including an adjustment to try and stop it eating the inside of the front tyres)

All while I was away in Paris, car is now running like a dream:D

Edit: new rear anti roll bar bushing too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Just looking on donedeal, Rx8's have come down alot recently, most can be picked up for around 4k...I have this money now but I think a Nissan would be more fun and more reliable, will hear from my Credit union tomorrow if I have the loan approved or not.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Just looking on donedeal, Rx8's have come down alot recently, most can be picked up for around 4k...I have this money now but I think a Nissan would be more fun and more reliable, will hear from my Credit union tomorrow if I have the loan approved or not.:)

They have been around that price for a good while now. You're wrong by saying that a Nissan would be more fun, correct when you say more reliable :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

It's rough getting Credit Union loans these days i had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get mine even though i had 1/3rd in my account and 2 loans worth over 10k paid off both early with not one missed payment.

Buy a 300ZX i ain't brave enough to go back that far in years but they sound insane burbling along :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It's rough getting Credit Union loans these days i had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get mine even though i had 1/3rd in my account and 2 loans worth over 10k paid off both early with not one missed payment.

Buy a 300ZX i ain't brave enough to go back that far in years but they sound insane burbling along :)

3 litre tax is the issue there, my max will be 2.5 l, I am getting an extension done, anything thats left over is going in to buying the skyline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

What Nissan are you thinking of? The RX8's are cheap for a reason, the Integra DC5 is a far better car in terms of fun, handling and even power (from my own experience on the dyno)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

3 litre tax is the issue there, my max will be 2.5 l, I am getting an extension done, anything thats left over is going in to buying the skyline.

What you looking at a GTS or GT-R ? Also what year ?

• Advertisement

Would something like this tickle your fancy?

Full-19041096.jpeg

Don't look so surprised if I end up in one someday....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement