Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

No sooner had one gone out the yard, another came in very late last night/early this morning

Picked up that Xantia as linked by RJ, following my request for 'something cheap and nasty' -

Well, cheap it is, nasty it's not :cool:

Spiel:

96 Xantia
    XUD turbo diesel
    97k miles -genuine :eek::eek:
    FSH & NCT reports
    2 prev owners, 1 for over 16 years, other for a month or two
    Very very Clean in & out, no test bla bla,
    It will keep me happy for a few k miles anyway, its like driving a cloud :o

got it for the price of a tyre for my Hilux :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Problem is it is as boring as wet carrot compared to idiotic skyline. Which is not a bad thing, sort of. When you need to daily drive to work and if you got a big trip in front of you scooby will Win. I see Scooby more of a sensible car, with some power to spare, then something pure nuts fun like skyline.
    All AWD are like that, could be worse though, the spector of diesel FWD runabouts loom everywhere. :pac:

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Picked up that Xantia as linked by RJ............

Happy out, it looked potentially decent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Morning lads,

Didnt wanna start a thread, and I reckon this doesn't really fall into bangernomics..

I'm on the lookout for something very cheap & very nasty,

The nastier the better,(sub 4/500) test not important, once it looked like it could pass one it will do, tax would get you a blue peter badge :D

Fuel type: unimportant - but diesel a bonus (diesel card)

Any of ye spotted/have anything some way presentable lying around / filling a hole in a ditch that runs & will do a few thousand miles?

I'm thinking xantia/205/306/golf/carina/cit zx/audi 80/... anything that's not huge engine wise. pacman.gif

Id rather avoid anything sub 1.4 also..

Edit: Im in the kildare/dublin area btw...

I have a 93 1.6 Civic Automatic, clean and tidy little car with low miles. It's the SOHC VTEC and is a miser on fuel. Test just out but I'd wager it'll pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

No sooner had one gone out the yard, another came in very late last night/early this morning

Picked up that Xantia as linked by RJ, following my request for 'something cheap and nasty' -

Well, cheap it is, nasty it's not :cool:

Spiel:

96 Xantia
    XUD turbo diesel
    97k miles -genuine :eek::eek:
    FSH & NCT reports
    2 prev owners, 1 for over 16 years, other for a month or two
    Very very Clean in & out, no test bla bla,
    It will keep me happy for a few k miles anyway, its like driving a cloud :o

got it for the price of a tyre for my Hilux :pac:

I love hearing stories like this :D

Keep the older stuff on the roads!

As it's a 96 model you should hopefully have the earlier type turbos and non ecu type pump too :)

I miss our one....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Gary ITR wrote: »
    I have a 93 1.6 Civic Automatic, clean and tidy little car with low miles. It's the SOHC VTEC and is a miser on fuel. Test just out but I'd wager it'll pass

You'll find the minimum stake for that wager is EUR53. ;)

To add to a discussion a few days ago regarding Traffic Corps Avensii:

The ones in Navan and Dunshaughlin also only have dipped beams with no tail lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I was having a good day today drove up to cork handed in an assignment drove home nice sunny weather. When I got in the drive I noticed the car was making weird noise at idle. Popped the bonnet and there is a weird spinning noise coming from the alternator maybe the belt. But it gets better I looked over to the steel pipe coming from the turbo the holder is leaking oil fairly badly. That's not a cheap part i think 200 euro. Like how much hassle can you have with one car it's not even funny anymore. I seriously regret getting rid of my astra at this stage. Ford focus reliable never again.

Ah man, thats crap :(

Is it the high pressure oil feed? Poss a seal gone

Bpmull wrote: »
    .............Ford focus reliable never again.

The 1.8s are grand :pac:

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    Ah man, thats crap :(

Is it the high pressure oil feed? Poss a seal gone

It's the steel pipe that comes from the turbo to the bottom of the engine it is a common enough fault on them there is a metal clip welded on to it to hold it to the engine it can break. Mine hasn't completly broken as there is only a small bit of oil going down the pipe it's leaking abit anyway. I'm after starting the engine again and it doesn't seem to make the noise from the belt anymore unless it just does it when the engines warm. I've heard that the steel pipes are serious expensive.

I love hearing stories like this :D

Keep the older stuff on the roads!

As it's a 96 model you should hopefully have the earlier type turbos and non ecu type pump too :)

I miss our one....

I Just love old cars :D

96 would be the upper end of the year scale for me though, i usually end up in <95 :pac:

To be honest I wouldnt know, I must verse myself in them a little, im hearing a little squeak from the belts though, do the crank pulleys give the same trouble as they do in the hdi's?

I take it its 'screwable' too? :cool:

Traffic Corps Avensii:

The ones in Navan and Dunshaughlin also only have dipped beams with no tail lights

Add Portlaoise to that list, they drive em on the drl's all the time without realising as theyre so fecking bright.. Seeing it a lot on our wonderful motorways too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Spotted some alloys today I think I'll get for my car

RoverJames wrote: »
    The 1.8s are grand :pac:

I know they are now but I didn't think the 1.6 was going to be this bad. I wouldn't mind but when I got rid of my astra I was going to go back a few years buy something cheap 2003 or so. And my dad said don't as it would cost me a fortune to keep it on the road well this van seems to be doing that and I even paid a good bit for it it wasn't exactly the cheapest focus on donedeal. Man it's just a pain at this stage I'm afraid of what will go wrong next. I'm just not even in the mood to joke about it it's a pure money pit.

..........I'm just not even in the mood to joke about it it's a pure money pit.

Fingers crossed you're over the worst of it.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Fingers crossed you're over the worst of it.

Hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

There's not a lot that goes wrong with those mk2 focus's. They have their known faults and sometimes they don't show up at all. It just seems like they are on yours, but once they've been sorted you can garantee trouble free motoring with them. Keep the faith man, sure there better than say a golf :).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Finally got some more DA work in today. Did the front quarter panel. The only thing I have to say is...whatever Menzerna put in their FG400 polish, its bloody fantastic. Took away scratches in hardly no time, will be using this from now and produces a great shine on its own without a finishing pad.
    And collinite 476s, although one of the harder waxes to apply/buff off regardless of how much applied, is magnificent!

I may have to try some of that myself looks like impressive stuff.

It's the steel pipe that comes from the turbo to the bottom of the engine it is a common enough fault on them there is a metal clip welded on to it to hold it to the engine it can break. Mine hasn't completly broken as there is only a small bit of oil going down the pipe it's leaking abit anyway. I'm after starting the engine again and it doesn't seem to make the noise from the belt anymore unless it just does it when the engines warm. I've heard that the steel pipes are serious expensive.

I'm guessing the oil return pipe so....? I'll have to get an image of 1 up later to see!

Maybe invest in an aftermarket 1? The high pressure pipe on my XUD can be replaced with braided pipe with banjo bolt for example...
    I Just love old cars :D

96 would be the upper end of the year scale for me though, i usually end up in <95 :pac:

To be honest I wouldnt know, I must verse myself in them a little, im hearing a little squeak from the belts though, do the crank pulleys give the same trouble as they do in the hdi's?

I take it its 'screwable' too? :cool:

Add Portlaoise to that list, they drive em on the drl's all the time without realising as theyre so fecking bright.. Seeing it a lot on our wonderful motorways too.

No pulley problems, just a bit iffy to remove when doing the t-belt otherwise they're fine! Perhaps tighten the belt up? Loosen the 2 allen bolts in the tensioner and wind it out at the bottom :)

You can indeed turn fuelling up or down provided you can get the tamperproof cover off :p turning the LDA pin 180 degrees also another way to improve response low down!

More than likely you have a T2/K14 with a car of that vintage. Our old 97 one had a K14, the crossover to the newer smaller turbos was sometime late 97... I wouldn't go turning up the wastegate on a K14, mine sticks and you can't take it off as easy as the T2....

The XUDs are so simple, bits easy to get and so much info out there on them, makes them great fun for an old IDI :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

:eek: Finally opened up my old engine...

250594.jpg

250595.jpg

250596.jpg

Amount of slush/whatever it's called scared me really, especially another engine I run now is the same age/similar mileage. Started thinking about engine flush.

To flush or not to flush - that's the question. :confused:

• Advertisement

Hal1 wrote: »
    There's not a lot that goes wrong with those mk2 focus's. ..........

The 1.6 PSA yoke is quite fragile, a lot can and does go wrong with many of them, not just in the focus.

No pulley problems, just a bit iffy to remove when doing the t-belt otherwise they're fine! Perhaps tighten the belt up? Loosen the 2 allen bolts in the tensioner and wind it out at the bottom :)

You can indeed turn fuelling up or down provided you can get the tamperproof cover off :p turning the LDA pin 180 degrees also another way to improve response low down!

More than likely you have a T2/K14 with a car of that vintage. Our old 97 one had a K14, the crossover to the newer smaller turbos was sometime late 97... I wouldn't go turning up the wastegate on a K14, mine sticks and you can't take it off as easy as the T2....

The XUDs are so simple, bits easy to get and so much info out there on them, makes them great fun for an old IDI :cool:

Thats good news so, Ill have a look at the tensioner later on.

Ah tbh, id say ill leave it well alone, its a little bit too good to go messing around with, not even a puff of smoke from it, was worried when i couldnt find any :pac:

Ill have a root around the net for a bit of info on them so, any good sites you'd recommend?

They're surely hailed as one of the best diesel engines out there.

Oh another thing about Xanti, ALL the electrics WORK :eek:
    must be a record for a 17 year old Citroen, feck thats a record for a 2 year old citroen :pac:

Thats good news so, Ill have a look at the tensioner later on.

Ah tbh, id say ill leave it well alone, its a little bit too good to go messing around with, not even a puff of smoke from it, was worried when i couldnt find any :pac:

Ill have a root around the net for a bit of info on them so, any good sites you'd recommend?

They're surely hailed as one of the best diesel engines out there.

Oh another thing about Xanti, ALL the electrics WORK :eek:
    must be a record for a 17 year old Citroen, feck thats a record for a 2 year old citroen :pac:

Best to use allen keys for the tensioner, ratchet will barely fit....

306oc and straight to the XUD section or feel free to ask me, I know a bit about them! :pac:

I thought the same about my 406, have the pump turned up quite high and coupled with the K14 its no slouch, despite the wastegate :pac:

Best to use allen keys for the tensioner, ratchet will barely fit....

306oc and straight to the XUD section or feel free to ask me, I know a bit about them! :pac:

I thought the same about my 406, have the pump turned up quite high and coupled with the K14 its no slouch, despite the wastegate :pac:

Okie doke, will do thanks again :)

Spot on, ill have a nosey later/when i get a chance.

Well, after getting out of a 2+ tonne truck with huge wheels, this is a rocket ship :pac:

joujoujou wrote: »
    To flush or not to flush - that's the question. :confused:

Engine oil for a diesel (of correct spec) for 2000 miles :)
    Nice, gentle flush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Well, don't leave us hanging! Cad é? Mazda6 MPS??

:D

It's not a MPS :)
    Though it could well be gone before i sell mine.
    I'll just say its more car than mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'll just say its more car than mine.

Mazda MX5?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Mazda MX5?? :pac:

Missing your Jap motors there dude?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

MugMugs wrote: »
    Missing your Jap motors there dude?

Jaysus ya can say naaatin' in this place but you're picked up :pac:

• Advertisement