Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Can anyone recommend a good BMW me mechanic in south Dublin preferably near ballsbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good BMW me mechanic in south Dublin preferably near ballsbridge?

If nobody knows you could pm Bmstuff.
    Im interested to find this out myself. Could you make it over to nissan doc?

There is also another good BMW mech in glasnevin too.

coolisin wrote: »
    If nobody knows you could pm Bmstuff.
    Im interested too find this out myself. Could you make it over to nissan doc?

There is also another good BMW mech in glasnevin too.

I've just dropped it into a place there now.

Seems like decent sort who knows his stuff

Result I think!

First garage today diagnosed it as having a fooked chain and didn't want to know.

MF autos in Deansgrange however put in more effort and have diagnosed the rattle as a loose heat shield and a fooked MAF is responsible for the rough driving at times.

Happy days.

I have to call them back and get it priced up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I was just reading car mechanics magazine the may edition has a 5 page write up on the focus 1.6 tdci. Have to say it was a good article gave plenty of information common faults with the engine. I'm hoping to get my own over to my mechanic in the next two weeks so he can go over it and make a list of what it needs done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Hi guys, wheres the best place to get wrap? I need to wrap 2 fog light surrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

My parents and sister are driving to Cork tomorrow morning so I was asked to check the tyres and the pressure.
    20psi all round. :eek: And my mam was wondering why she was getting such little mileage out of the petrol.
    Back up to 51 now, she needs to fronts though, just about 2mm on them I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

CianRyan wrote: »
    My parents and sister are driving to Cork tomorrow morning so I was asked to check the tyres and the pressure.
    20psi all round. :eek: And my mam was wondering why she was getting such little mileage out of the petrol.
    Back up to 51 now, she needs to fronts though, just about 2mm on them I'd say.

51? Is that not really high?

51? Is that not really high?

Max is 55, I said I'd leave it off a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Is it a light truck?

51 is way too high man, :eek:

about 30-32 psi is the norm aint it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

51 psi?!?!

They were safer with 20 tbh. I'm surprised it didn't blow up in your face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

:eek:

Let some air out, quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

gone very quiet in here..

Fair enough, will do.
    I e had mine up to pressure for months, I was advised to in the tyre shop. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

51??!!!! Isn't that tractor tyre pressures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

ottostreet wrote: »
    51??!!!! Isn't that tractor tyre pressures?

55 front and 57 back on my van. That's with 104 rated commercial tyres.

Personally I find, depending on the car, about 4 psi extra over the recommended you start to lose alot of grip. Fine on the motorway itself but not off it. I normally just run it 2 psi over the recommended if I want better economy.

Well I was told just under the max pressure is ideal and max is 55 so it made sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Ah Jesus that's ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Fair enough, will do.
    I e had mine up to pressure for months, I was advised to in the tyre shop. :confused:

your not the first on a forum to think the max pressure is what the tyre should be filled to, 30-32 is the recommended default for most cars, check your manufacturer's recommendation online. For some cars its 29 psi in the front and 28 in the back so do check.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Well I was told just under the max pressure is ideal and max is 55 so it made sense?

I also wouldn't be using that tyre place again

Well, down to between 30-32 all round, I'll have a look again and see what's recommended but that'll be alright for now.
    I've told my dad the craic anyway so he can adjust if he feels the need to on the way.
    I also wouldn't be using that tyre place again

Noted.
    Dodgy info by the looks of it!

Edit: I'm using a bike track pump here so it's hard to be very accurate. I'm also used to pumping up to 110/120psi in the race bike tyres so you can see why 50 seemed quite low to me. :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

your not the first on a forum to think the max pressure is what the tyre should be filled to, 30-32 is the recommended default for most cars, check your manufacturer's recommendation online. For some cars its 29 psi in the front and 28 in the back so do check.

Mine is 40 front, 37 back, if it loses pressure it really fubars the handling, check it weekly.

No one every believes me so I have to produce the chuffing manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Compton wrote: »
    Hi guys, wheres the best place to get wrap? I need to wrap 2 fog light surrounds.

Anyone!? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Have to say I get quite annoyed with tyre places that insist on setting all tyres on all cars at 32psi (2.2bar). All the high end BMWs run very high PSI, 850CSi is 2.7bar (39psi) while the 535d on 17" was asking for upto 3.2bar (46psi - cold, hot Im sure it creeps up near 50).

There is a night and day difference in control and handling between 30psi and 39psi. Im all on for high pressure, though over 50psi (cold) is higher than Ive ever seen spec'ed. Cian, its written on the petrol cap or door jam/sill usually.
    They prolly meant just under max for the car, not for the tyre. I wouldnt agree anyhow, Id set to the car rating erring on overpressure. Some tyres, like Falkens, respond way way better at over pressure, bearing in mind for example that 45psi isnt even close to the tyres safe pressure ceiling. Tyres are designed to operate upto the max rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Stheno wrote: »
    Mine is 40 front, 37 back, if it loses pressure it really fubars the handling, check it weekly.

No one every believes me so I have to produce the chuffing manual.

Mine recommends 38-40 rear but that just wears the centre of the tyres on the back taking about 6000kms off their useful life, so now at 34 seems to be working well. It's all about getting to know the car and what works really. Some cars are more sensitive to tyre pressure than others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

What do you drive Tea bag??

Compton, why do you want to warp the fog light surrounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Wish I could help but I haven't a notion, try google or the DIY section perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Or the modified cars section maybe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement