Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

CianRyan wrote: »
    My parents and sister are driving to Cork tomorrow morning so I was asked to check the tyres and the pressure.
    20psi all round. :eek: And my mam was wondering why she was getting such little mileage out of the petrol.
    Back up to 51 now, she needs to fronts though, just about 2mm on them I'd say.

Think that's bad? Mother was driving for about 6 weeks with a wheel with 12psi on it. I wonder how it didn't roll off the rim when cornering.

51 is way way too high for anything except perhaps a Transit etc. Should be a pressure chart on the jamb of the driver/passenger door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

ottostreet wrote: »
    51??!!!! Isn't that tractor tyre pressures?

Tractor tyres are around 18 - 20 psi, so it can bite into soft ground. 30 psi is normal passenger car. 50 for swb van, Daily sized van is 70, 90 onwards for forklifts and lorries

I sometimes have the tyres pumped up to 60psi if they're bald and want to make a youtube video with them :pac::pac::pac:

On another note got a spin in a 2.2 Alfa Spider..... Only my 2nd time ever in a convertible :eek: I feckin loved it!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Stheno wrote: »
    Mine is 40 front, 37 back, if it loses pressure it really fubars the handling, check it weekly.

No one every believes me so I have to produce the chuffing manual.

She's alive, we thought they had finally worked you to death:pac:
    dgt wrote: »

On another note got a spin in a 2.2 Alfa Spider..... Only my 2nd time ever in a convertible :eek: I feckin loved it!!! :D:D:D

Old or new?

I want one of these

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4194103

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I know they reckon pressure is for tyres and all Cian but seriously dude!

You must be really stressed :pac:

i'll get me coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

What do you drive Tea bag??

Compton, why do you want to warp the fog light surrounds?

Because they're chrome and look crap!

Opel-Corsa_OPC_2010_photo_01.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Plasti Dip?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Compton wrote: »
    Because they're chrome and look crap!

Ah, I thought it was because they were black and had faded so I was going to recommend Gtechniq trim restorer.

Carry on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

When I came out of the shop a few minutes ago there was a porche panamera parked beside me. I had a fair idea that they were ugly, but I've changed my mind, they are fcukin horrible:)
    I didnt realise how big they were though!
    Didnt bother with a pic, it was ugly and filthy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

OSI wrote: »
    Just paid for 4 months of road tax. Went to pay it this morning online, and then got that annoying realisation that I wouldn't be able to as I had arrears, and expected to have to make that soul destroying trip to the the tax office. Colour me surprised when I discovered it gave me a figure for 3 months, plus the months arrears when I stuck in the details. No trip to the office for me!

You can pay up to three months arrears online IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

awesommmmeeee :P

20130426_111606_zps396a02ee.jpg?t=1366972350

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Nice one TT :D

Happy birthday to you sir!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

pred racer wrote: »
    She's alive, we thought they had finally worked you to death:pac:

Not quite, but close :)

pred racer wrote: »

New one.... Still quite an experience to me, especially when the sound echos! :D

Mmmmm tasty :cool: I remember Cian posting up vids of one with a 3.7 Busso under the bonnet.... What a sound it made :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

New one.... Still quite an experience to me, especially when the sound echos! :D

Mmmmm tasty :cool: I remember Cian posting up vids of one with a 3.7 Busso under the bonnet.... What a sound it made :eek:

Possibly the coolest Euro car ever.
    build thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Hmmmm, the not yet father in law has said he wants to buy a classic defender in the UK, and has asked me to start looking for one. This could be interesting.

Could be interesting if you pick the wrong one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Hmmmm, the not yet father in law has said he wants to buy a classic defender in the UK, and has asked me to start looking for one. This could be interesting.

UK is the place to go! Rust is the major enemy of these, otherwise they're bulletproof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

If you can buy it. Seems nowhere in Europe has, or will have it, for months.

I've been trying to buy it for the past few months. In the end I bought Halfords own knock off, it's called Flexible Vinyl Paint. It probably won't be until next week sometime before I can try it out though. I'll post up results.

RoverJames wrote: »
    23mpg average :)

Most of my runs are 12/15 mile spins with little enough traffic. I'd do one or two short spins a day too.

Pretty much what I expected, if I ran it on short trips only (a mile or two) around Cork City I'd expect 15mpg at best.

Official figures are...
    Fuel consumption (urban) 21.6 mpg
    Fuel consumption (extra urban) 32.8 mpg
    Fuel consumption (combined) 27.7 mpg

I rarely get close to official figures.
    Bpmull wrote: »
    ............ Next time you take yours on a long trip see how it does.......................

Over 665kms, Cork to Dublin and back to Cork along with some non trafficy spins up and down the N7 while there it returned 28mpg.

Most of the Cork to Dublin and return trip was with CC set to just a tad over 120kph :)

Armed robbers hiding in me back garden! Exciting

They might take you hostage John, lock yourself in the bathroom :pac:

• Advertisement

They might take you hostage John, lock yourself in the bathroom :pac:
    I'm not leaving my case of beer behind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Over 665kms, Cork to Dublin and back to Cork along with some non trafficy spins up and down the N7 while there it returned 28mpg.

Most of the Cork to Dublin and return trip was with CC set to just a tad over 120kph :)

28 mpg is not too bad. My dad done a similar trip a few months ago when I sold the astra and had no transport. He drove from Kilkenny to Dublin went to a few places around Dublin working. Drove to cork that evening to collect me. And drove home to Kilkenny again and worked 14 hours inbetween all that I don't know how he does it. On trips like that the newer octavia does 1200km to a tank and the tank is 55 litres about 65mpg :eek: if only my focus would do that :) still the grand Cherokee is alot nicer to drive than a 1.6 octavia :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Saw a 2008 Peugeot 607 today. Didn't even realise they were made that late, but Jesus it was a fantastic looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Saw a 2008 Peugeot 607 today. Didn't even realise they were made that late, but Jesus it was a fantastic looking car.

Nice looking car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

still looking for a fixer upper project, something for the missus to get her hands dirty with.

looks like ****s going to get real this week or next, we're just too indecisive :pac:

question - if we go to buy a car, would it be legal to tow it home with a towing pole without insurance?

i wouldn't mind transferring my insurance to the new car for a day to get it home, but whatever we end up buying will most likely not be taxed or tested either, you'd still be in a lot of trouble if you were caught driving it even with insurance i'd say so i'd rather just tow it if that made things easier.

the car we buy will become a display piece so will likely never see the road again so ideally we wouldn't want to spend money on tax and an NCT booking just to get it home.

looks like ****s going to get real this week or next, we're just too indecisive :pac:

question - if we go to buy a car, would it be legal to tow it home with a towing pole without insurance?

Are you's indecisive? Yes? No? Maybe perhaps? :P

Don't go towing, we used to do it on a regular basis and I hated every minute of it. Transfer insurance, get a recovery lorrey but for your own sanity and hers don't tow it!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Ive a CV boot kit for an Astra H going for free if anyone wants it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Don't go towing, we used to do it on a regular basis and I hated every minute of it. Transfer insurance, get a recovery lorrey but for your own sanity and hers don't tow it!!! :)

X2

just transfer insurance, towing is an unecessary safety risk..if you're picky, take a photocopy of the signed up book along with you, once the car's not a total shed / dangerous, you won't have an issue just bringing it home. Besides, it's only the nct that would be in question, as you cannot tax yet anyway.

Good luck with the banger buying :)

Start looking as in internet trawling? Or does he expect you to check one out over there for him etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I was in halfords today got some turtle wax spray for the tyres on the 3 for 2 I use it all the time and find it good. Indy say in the last 2 weeks in Kilkenny I've never seen so many gaurds and been through so many checkpoints its unreal. 3 checkpoints in a weeks. Which leads onto another question. My tax is expired according to the disc 04/13. So when does that mean I have to re tax it by is it the end of the month. Also if it ran till we say the 09th or so of next month would you be ok or can a gaurd fine you then? I don't really know much about the whole tax renewal system so any help would be appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement