Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Stheno wrote: »
    So current issues with my car:

1. Something is draining power from the battery if it is left off for more than about 7 days. It kills the battery completely and it needs a jump from one of those packs the AA/Recovery people have to get it going. Was previously investigated and thought to be the alarm and fixed but seems not to be the case.

Thoughts?

Old battery? Phone kit wired up incorrectly? Auto lights or wipers?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Zcott wrote: »
    Old battery? Phone kit wired up incorrectly? Auto lights or wipers?

Battery installed fresh Nov. 2011
    No phone kit.
    No auto lights or wipers.
    I suspect it's the alarm, I think I may have accidentally reactivated it, the car is currently beeping five times in a row about every 45 seconds.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hmm the OH has just suggested we keep both GTVs, sell his car and they are both our everyday cars.

Both cars would get used at the same day/time maybe three or four times a month so it might be a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

CianRyan wrote: »
    I guess diesel estates are just more fun than turbo AWD hot hatches. :pac:

Just on the subject of estates, did anyone every see the Skyline estate, the stagea, not my cup of cha but it is what it is
    stagea1gi8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Stageas are cool as f**k imo,

In fact, almost all estates are far cooler than saloon models,

Eg.
    Mistubishi legnum/galant estate
    Any 5 series touring
    Audi avant - 6 preferably
    Toyota Caldina:(ugly as sin, but, just appealing.. to me anyway)

86225j5_20.jpeg

I love estates, must buy one some time :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I like it ;)

I'd leave it's own front on it though.... Or make it into a pickup.... Or both.....
    bobparts2007-img600x450-1285163831aes4jd73084_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

dgt wrote: »
    I like it ;)

You mean my new plan yes?

You mean my new plan yes?

Oooh just read! :D

Personally.... I'd put he money into the car you have. You know what it's like, know what's replaced and what needs to be done.

You never know what ugly heads will rear up with a new car....

Just my
    euro-2-cent-madeira-001t.jpg

dgt wrote: »
    Oooh just read! :D

Personally.... I'd put he money into the car you have. You know what it's like, know what's replaced and what needs to be done.

You never know what ugly heads will rear up with a new car....

I think he wants to a. put money in the current car, which he is rather fond of, then b. fix up the citroen with a decent service and valet for sale, then c. fix up the second gtv so he has the first gtv.

We've to put a bit of money in all two/three anyway :) Never thought he'd suggest the two gtvs, the citroen needs the least work, but he's not a fan of it anymore.

I shall ponder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I think he wants to a. put money in the current car, which he is rather fond of, then b. fix up the citroen with a decent service and valet for sale, then c. fix up the second gtv so he has the first gtv.

We've to put a bit of money in all two/three anyway :) Never thought he'd suggest the two gtvs, the citroen needs the least work, but he's not a fan of it anymore.

I shall ponder.

Two GTV's? I never knew that! Pics or details on either?

In other non motoring related news, began college exams today and both went absolutely terrible..really really bad. Absolutely gutted and another 4 exams to go...:(

Motoring news - Alfa is crap on petrol...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Saw loads of Garda out tonight, went through my first check point with out getting stopped.
    Would have had no excuse, I was on my way up to the hills for a spin. :pac:

Just on the subject of estates, did anyone every see the Skyline estate, the stagea, not my cup of cha but it is what it is

Honesly, I've wanted one of those since I've seen one.
    All the fun of a GTR but with room for... Stuff! :)
    Cheensbo wrote: »
    Stageas are cool as f**k imo,

In fact, almost all estates are far cooler than saloon models,

Eg.
    Mistubishi legnum/galant estate
    Any 5 series touring
    Audi avant - 6 preferably
    Toyota Caldina:(ugly as sin, but, just appealing.. to me anyway)

I love estates, must buy one some time :pac:

I like the Caldina's looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Ive two options guys and need opinions.

Do i just get straight to it and buy these http://www.ebay.de/itm/JOM-Gewindefahrwerk-BMW-3er-E46-Limo-Cabrio-Coupe-Touring-Fahrwerk-komplett-/181107990608?pt=DE_Autoteile&fits=Make%3ABMW%7CPlatform%3AE46&hash=item2a2ae0a050

or

these http://www.ebay.de/itm/EIBACH-Sportline-Federn-35mm-BMW-3er-E46-Coupe-6Zyl-Diesel-/310644984466?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item4853e24a92

and see how the shocks get on over time?

Cant see myself wanting to go any lower than what the sportlines provide and would be replacing and shot shocks with bilstein b4 or koni yellow in time.
    But JOM bluelines seem to get good reviews and they are cheap

You get very mixed reviews about JOM, they seem to do the job but at the cost of comfort.

Got an interview tomorrow morning, come on new car!! :D

New car? Spill!

Or keeping it on the qt.... ;)

Best of luck on the interview! :D

You get very mixed reviews about JOM, they seem to do the job but at the cost of comfort.

Got an interview tomorrow morning, come on new car!! :D

and I been hearing that the FKs are harsher :o

and I been hearing that the FKs are harsher :o

I've fk's on the van, far comfier than the lowering springs I had, even with the 40's! :eek: and the handling was something else..... :D

So if you can stretch to a set, go for it :cool:

I need I get the job first. I'll start a thread if I'm successful. :p

FK's are a league ahead of JOM's right? If you can afford them now I'd jump right in, saves you spending more in the long run if you decide the others are too stiff.

Are ye sure? Most of the stuff Ive read said JOM are better than FKs. It'd be JOM bluelines id be getting, both are around 215e delivered.
    Sportlines and 4 koni shocks are about 400e

Oh really? I could definitely be wrong, I always get mixed up with these companies. :o

Are ye sure? Most of the stuff Ive read said JOM are better than FKs. It'd be JOM bluelines id be getting, both are around 215e delivered.
    Sportlines and 4 koni shocks are about 400e

I did get driving a Toledo with JOM coilovers and it was noticeably harder than my van at the time (could have been set up arseways though)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Any coilover is going to be hard, its the intended purpose but I wouldn't put a set of Joms onto a pushbike. At the very least I'd be looking at a set of D2's if I was looking but in saying that id probably just go for lowering springs and matching shocks. Joms would be a big step backwards on an e46 325

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I just paid off some of my credit card....ordering new turbo tomorrow :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I just paid off some of my credit card....ordering new turbo tomorrow :D:D

Power increase, or replacing broken one?

replace broken one. he needs to get the car working first like, then he can think about improving it :pac:

rocky wrote: »
    Power increase, or replacing broken one?

Replacing the rear turbo to sort the common wastegate failure issue.

When I have the money again, I'll be getting it remapped to between 350 - 380bhp. Not sure on when I'm getting that done though so we shall see but for now I will be happy with 2 working turbos and 306bhp :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Replacing the rear turbo to sort the common wastegate failure issue.

When I have the money again, I'll be getting it remapped to between 350 - 380bhp. Not sure on when I'm getting that done though so we shall see but for now I will be happy with 2 working turbos and 306bhp :D

380 just isn't fast enough chap. Buy a Polo or something would ya!?

Almost as much as an early E90 M3, ****ing sake!

380 just isn't fast enough chap. Buy a Polo or something would ya!?

Can't find any automatics for sale, they're the only ones to go for if you want a powerful Polo :pac:
    Almost as much as an early E90 M3, ****ing sake!

What're you talking about "early"?? The E92 and E90 M3s were all 420bhp from early to late excluding the GTS or any special editions.

What're you talking about "early"?? The E92 and E90 M3s were all 420bhp from early to late excluding the GTS or any special editions.

Just going by Wiki, in 2007 they were making 414, not a far cry from 380.
    It also says from 2010 they were putting out 444.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_S65

So excuuuuuse me for making an honest mistake. :pac:

I also only looked for figures, didn't think to look any further. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

166man wrote: »
    Some people should not be allowed sell cars....:mad:

Poxy timewasters....

Turns out I should edit my post, ended up coming to an arrangement with the seller. Deposit being paid this weekend all things remaining as they are...:D

How can I concentrate on exams now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement