Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dgt wrote: »
    I wanted a china blue 406 and even test drove 2 :) sadly, twas not meant to be...

Maybe someday...

Is that like baby blue?

Or the nice dark blue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Stheno wrote: »
    Is that like baby blue?

Or the nice dark blue?

Without the hideous spoiler
    7422490001_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

I wanted a china blue 406 and even test drove 2 :) sadly, twas not meant to be...

Maybe someday...
    My xantia was dark blue
    My 406 was dark blue.
    My c5 was sky blue (or Eds gay blue as it was known where I worked)

Do psa cars come in other colours than blue?:pac:

Edit: on a serious note, do you not find the TD a bit underpowered? When I changed to the c5 HDI, that extra 20hp made a huge difference! Better on juice too.

pred racer wrote: »
    Do psa cars come in other colours than blue?:pac:

Silver, red or green are the only other colours :D :pac:

Edit: on a serious note, do you not find the TD a bit underpowered? When I changed to the c5 HDI, that extra 20hp made a huge difference! Better on juice too.
    Silver, red or green are the only other colours :D :pac:

The mint green 406 was horrible, all the rest (except silver the unmentionable colour) were allright.

Although the red that the mk1 c5 came in was a bit ganky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Getting a part worn continental with 6mm thread for 50e in kellehers tomorrow, thank you mik!

The mint green 406 was horrible, all the rest (except silver the unmentionable colour) were allright.

Although the red that the mk1 c5 came in was a bit ganky

Bleuch! That green reminds me of these
    CY0147.jpg

Absolutely vile :(

As for it being slow, the pump and turbo are turned up well. Also no cat and no standard airbox. It's no slouch :D Looking to make an 11mm plunger hybrid pump with LDA pin mod and gov mod over January ;)

That last sentence means nothing to me, sounds cool though:D

Btw if you ever have the tank out, change the anti roll bushing under it, ;)

That last sentence means nothing to me, sounds cool though:D

11mm plunger + gov mod hybrid pump

LDA pin mod

Cheap fun!!! :D:D:D
    Btw if you ever have the tank out, change the anti roll bushing under it, ;)

Learned that already! :P

So after getting my suspension re hauled in my 318is i was recommended i should bring it for wheel alignment.

So despite my worries about competence i dropped it off in Atlas autoservice in sandyford. Queue a phone call a few hours later how the couldn't do the alignment because my inner track rod had play in it and they could replace it for €100 :rolleyes: Gave a quick shout to my mechanic who said they it was fine last week.

So i pick up the keys drive around the corner to Ace tyres, they done the alignment no problem at all. Turns out they a good bit out of line. Took the car for a quick spin after and the steering is much better now, before i was getting short pulls left and right over uneven surface.

In this economic climate i think its very stupid to risk a easy €65 just to get a extra €100 out of a unsuspecting punter.

• Advertisement

11mm plunger + gov mod hybrid pump

LDA pin mod

Cheap fun!!! :D:D:D

Learned that already! :P

Sweet, old school spannering ftw:D

Sweet, old school spannering ftw:D

The way foreward for me is backwards, no modern nonsense to worry about :)

A turn of a screw and a spanner, the car's standard again in that sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

less than 2 mins on the phone with Honda and no money spent and I have the radio code

all good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I put the Style 32s on it when I bought it, like 3.5yrs ago! I just re-painted them again recently. :p

:o

I think what put that in my head was I spotted you pick up the extra wheel on bmw-driver recently...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Rang up main ford dealer in Galway today to get an idea of price to "look at" my bonnet mechanism which hasn't been working for afew weeks.

Straight away woman told me that it usually runs into 4-5 hours and that would be 250-400 bob regardless if they can fix the old part or not.

Will give it a go myself tomorrow and if that fails it's off to my local indy, absolute robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

This E38 has been a thorn in my brain for the last week, just don't have the balls to go down and buy it!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4080943

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Sure going for a look wont hurt.

It will because there's no way i'd leave without it! I've never broken a car before, but there's definitely money in this one. But I don't have a lot of spare time, could put €1000 to better use elsewhere and it would be criminal to break it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

This E38 has been a thorn in my brain for the last week, just don't have the balls to go down and buy it!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4080943

What would you want that for, bar the V12 of course?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

^ does it come with it's own oil well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I know what you mean about breaking it.
    If there's anything I hate about the Irish car scene these days it's the like of that being broken up.

There was a beautiful RX-7 on DTD a while back that was broken, probably one of the best looking in the world with some serious engine work too. Such a shame.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    What would you want that for, bar the V12 of course?

V12, nappa leather and all the toys!

Do it, do it, do it...

I would if I had the moneys :D:D:D

And I will someday ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Right so, got the car radio in Lidl for the OH.

have to get a converter kit for his car in the motor factors, and then it should be a simple enough install :)

Will be nice to be able to play cds in his car again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

It will because there's no way i'd leave without it! I've never broken a car before, but there's definitely money in this one. But I don't have a lot of spare time, could put €1000 to better use elsewhere and it would be criminal to break it up!

Why would you break it and not just swap from your current one to it? Id get it and LPG it.

Why would you break it and not just swap from your current one to it? Id get it and LPG it.

Because it's pre-facelift and nowhere near as clean and tidy looking as his own. I gather if he were to buy it he would take out the leather and a few extra bits n' bobs and break the rest. I know you've LPG'd the S8 but personally I don't see the point. You either drive a big bus or you don't. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Because it's pre-facelift and nowhere near as clean and tidy looking as his own. I gather if he were to buy it he would take out the leather and a few extra bits n' bobs and break the rest. I know you've LPG'd the S8 but personally I don't see the point. You either drive a big bus or you don't. ;)

Well, clean and tidy looking is something that could be done to any car. But the engine is the centre piece and you realistically arent going to be able to transplant that too easy, at the very least it would be far cheaper to tidy it up. And it would be new to him, a cool project. But not to break, Id be doing it the other way round personally, using the 728i as the parts car (not that its not an excellent example, but its not a 750i). I wouldnt care for pre vs post facelift, minor things IMO.

On the missing point of LPG... dont know what to say, isnt it obvious?! Well actually I do know what to say.. the answer is Money. :pac:

You can have your cake and eat it. Instead of having a V8/V12 for "the weekend", you could drive it everyday. The way you say it its like you cannot drive an LPG car "the same".. quite the opposite, it means you now can drive it way way more the way you want, not sitting there looking at the fuel gauge, noting down the prices of petrol, no more "driving economically", you just get in and let it rip each and every day. It also allows motoring fun without sinking to driving a diesel and deluding oneself into thinking its just as good in regards power/refinement/noise/torque etc.

The only people this wont apply to are those with so much disposable income they can litterally afford to drive like this anyhow (or those with no where to drive, 15min commutes etc).

Well, clean and tidy looking is something that could be done to any car. But the engine is the centre piece and you realistically arent going to be able to transplant that too easy, at the very least it would be far cheaper to tidy it up. And it would be new to him, a cool project. But not to break, Id be doing it the other way round personally, using the 728i as the parts car (not that its not an excellent example, but its not a 750i). I wouldnt care for pre vs post facelift, minor things IMO.

On the missing point of LPG... dont know what to say, isnt it obvious?! Well actually I do know what to say.. the answer is Money. :pac:

You can have your cake and eat it. Instead of having a V8/V12 for "the weekend", you could drive it everyday. The way you say it its like you cannot drive an LPG car "the same".. quite the opposite, it means you now can drive it way way more the way you want, not sitting there looking at the fuel gauge, noting down the prices of petrol, no more "driving economically", you just get in and let it rip each and every day. It also allows motoring fun without sinking to driving a diesel and deluding oneself into thinking its just as good in regards power/refinement/noise/torque etc.

The only people this wont apply to are those with so much disposable income they can litterally afford to drive like this anyhow (or those with no where to drive, 15min commutes etc).

Sorry Matt, it's rare I would disagree with you but Voodoo's E38 is as good as the day it came out of the factory. Only thing it may be missing is a more powerful plant. Now suggesting he retire his current motor for the V12 and then converting that to LPG is just silly IMO.

What's the point in having a V12 if you're gonna run it on LPG? Can you imagine me doing similar with the Trans Am? Would you do it to the 850?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

What's the point in having a V12 if you're gonna run it on LPG? Can you imagine me doing similar with the Trans Am? Would you do it to the 850?

The point is it's still a V12, it still has the same power, and you get the exact same fun you always did for half the price (if not less).

The way it comes across is you're just a complete petrol fanboy, but for no obvious reason other than it's petrol..... almost seems that you'd rather take a 1L petrol yaris over a V12 on LPG. Begs the question why care about the engine (V6,8,10,12) at all? The engine and it's characteristics don't change.

Matt has his S8 converted to LPG and there was no difference what so ever switching between LPG and petrol. No reason to run the 850 on it as well tbh

• Advertisement

Sorry Matt, it's rare I would disagree with you but Voodoo's E38 is as good as the day it came out of the factory. Only thing it may be missing is a more powerful plant. Now suggesting he retire his current motor for the V12 and then converting that to LPG is just silly IMO.

I can confirm that Matts S8 was still well able to go on Lpg and I personally wouldnt have been able to tell the difference. (but I normally drive a daysul;) )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement