Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'll second Dipetane

...... Shouldn't need any such tack in a petrol tbh, if its failed an emissions test fuel treatments may not be even worth attempting depending on results of test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

RoverJames wrote: »
    ...... Shouldn't need any such tack in a petrol tbh, if its failed an emissions test fuel treatments may not be even worth attempting depending on results of test.

+1

If you don't need it, don't use it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Gary ITR wrote: »
    +1

If you don't need it, don't use it

Just wondering is all :) My mechanic raves about the stuff, I'd never heard of it, nor dipetane before I came across that on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Lad's I know this has been done many times on here but a mate of mine is after giving me a big long spiel on how private clamping is perfectly legal throughout UCD. It's more a bit of a laugh but I am genuinely interested to hear what the motors folk think?

I always thought it was wrong and not technically allowed or something? Anyone shed some light? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I think your friend wouldn't think like that if they were clamped

166man wrote: »
    Lad's I know this has been done many times on here but a mate of mine is after giving me a big long spiel on how private clamping is perfectly legal throughout UCD. It's more a bit of a laugh but I am genuinely interested to hear what the motors folk think?

I always thought it was wrong and not technically allowed or something? Anyone shed some light? :)

If you are genuinely interested there are quite a few threads which have discussed the matter in depth, well worth a read for interested parties.

If you are genuinely interested there are quite a few threads which have discussed the matter in depth, well worth a read for interested parties.

Any links would be appreciated, I just would like to know if it's public or private area. I myself think it's a public area but I'm not really sure...

Any links would be appreciated, I just would like to know if it's public or private area. I myself think it's a public area but I'm not really sure...
    Didnt Waterford it get bye laws Brought in for clamping? It's possible that UCD followed suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If UCD allowed the clampers on their property to stop non-students parking there then they have every right to be there as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Please do bare with me while I use the search function :)

Please do bare with me while I use the search function :)

Jaysus you're an awful cheeky bollix :P

The sarcasm is just oozing out of your last few posts!

If UCD allowed the clampers on their property to stop non-students parking there then they have every right to be there as far as I know.

What if you are a student?

I presume you'll be unclamped but I haven't a clue. I'm just going on what someone said regarding clamping in an apartment complex. The management allowed clampers in to deal with non-residents parking there for free.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Jaysus you're an awful cheeky bollix :P

The sarcasm is just oozing out of your last few posts!

I think he's having a bad day :eek:

UCD is private property owned by the governing body of UCD.
    If they have bye laws and have clamping measures in place, and you get clamped as a result of falling foul of those bye laws, you've no recourse, regardless.

It would be folks who don't abide by the displayed t&cs regardless of them being students or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

@shteno, the book depository are having a big sale on the 6th, some good ww2 books on there. There's already good prices on it now anyway :)

@shteno, the book depository are having a big sale on the 6th, some good ww2 books on there. There's already good prices on it now anyway :)
    Bought 9 kids books for under fiddy quid last week! Cracking site!

I might find myself homeless if I buy more books :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Stheno wrote: »
    From this point forward I shall be known as Madam Zelda the psychic.
    my sister's name is Zelda :p
    I might find myself homeless if I buy more books :D

Always room for more books! Although I only (ahem) buy e-books now.

• Advertisement

pred racer wrote: »
    my sister's name is Zelda :p

Always room for more books! Although I only (ahem) buy e-books now.

Yes, I bought a tablet with the intention of using it as an e-reader.

That was three months ago :eek: I gave away 400 books a few months ago :eek:

Just checked the price of a new ball joint for my car on micksgarage, and I'm pleased to discover it's not too expensive :)

@ Pred, could I ask you a quick q about the C5?

I used use one but after a while it just became a pain the arse because you still have to dry the car as normal afterwards and I prefer to have more water than not enough when using wet wax.

I used use one but after a while it just became a pain the arse because you still have to dry the car as normal afterwards and I prefer to have more water than not enough when using wet wax.

You've reminded me MM.

I might be getting infected with beadophilia rather the car interior version

Well not quite.

Anyhow, my windscreen is manky, so yesterday I went to the motor factors, and got fast glass and glass polish.

Then I spent a good 20 minutes checking out interior cleaning/polishing products and leather care products.

Then I decided if my car behaved in the NCT I'd clean the glass, get the interior (dash/plastics) cleaner, leather cleaner, and leather conditioner.

And I bought microfibre cloths for the glass.

Those Meguiar (sp?) products are shockingly expensive!

Doing the glass now tomorrow, looking forward to it, am doing mine and the OH's car, need to get anti fog stuff too.

If you got the microfibres to clean the glass, don't. They will leave streaks if you're using a glass cleaner. The only time I would use microfibres on glass is to buff the AG glass polish.

Meguiars products are expensive but you get what you pay for ;)

No need to use the anti fog stuff once you have used the glass polish. You're almost undoing the glass polish by applying the anti fog stuff, just clean the windows and polish them following those steps and you won't need the fog stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

If anyone wants to buy an 80's era super Merc Coupe with 300bhp and a 5.6litre engine, search Donedeal for " 560 SEC ". Some awesome guy just put one up for sale.
    Just saying like. :pac:

If you got the microfibres to clean the glass, don't. They will leave streaks if you're using a glass cleaner. The only time I would use microfibres on glass is to buff the AG glass polish.

Meguiars products are expensive but you get what you pay for ;)

No need to use the anti fog stuff once you have used the glass polish. You're almost undoing the glass polish by applying the anti fog stuff, just clean the windows and polish them following those steps and you won't need the fog stuff.

Eerrm, so what do I use to clean the glass?:o

I think in fairness looking back, the Meguiars stuff was twice the size of the autoglym stuff :)

Eerrm, so what do I use to clean the glass?:o

I think in fairness looking back, the Meguiars stuff was twice the size of the autoglym stuff :)

To clean it initially, a small sponge and dry it with an old t-shirt. The harder the material is the more absorbent it will be. I don't know why this is but if you use a soft cloth it will only move the water and suds around and not mop it up. You could also use newspaper but that can be messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

OSI wrote: »
    Anybody use those car drying squeegees?

4139J0VMNNL._SS500_.jpg

I always cringed at the thought of running one over the bodywork, but I've seen numerous videos on YouTube of professional detailers using them, so I'm conflicted.

Use an open hose from top to bottom rather than a powerhose to rinse the car and if needed give it abit of quick detailer+microfibre towel, car always looks better and paint should look more liquid afterwards

To clean it initially, a small sponge and dry it with an old t-shirt. The harder the material is the more absorbent it will be. I don't know why this is but if you use a soft cloth it will only move the water and suds around and not mop it up. You could also use newspaper but that can be messy.

I remember my mother when I was a kid sending me out to clean windows with newspaper for drying!

Once I've the car through the NCT, I'm sorting out all the scratches on the bodywork, and will probably get into minding that then too :)

Having an OH with a willing slave son who refers to my car as the "cool" car (mwahahaaa) will help :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Matt Simis wrote: »
    If anyone wants to buy an 80's era super Merc Coupe with 300bhp and a 5.6litre engine, search Donedeal for " 560 SEC ". Some awesome guy just put one up for sale.
    Just saying like. :pac:

Easy to find! Looking good :) how come no pics on Irl plates?

Missing the whole

ignore tdi dturbo vtech rwd sierra boxy cheap k20,ep3,ek9,ej9,eg3,eg4eg8,eg6,ek4,is200,yahama beams,rb20,rb25,sr20,mivec,sri,gsi,gti,tdi,gttdi,rs200,rays,rota,316,318,doch vtec,mv6,vti,trd,sti,wrx,sir,sdi,gt3s,recaros,lsd,2way,gsr,ev o 123456789,bbs,vzr,bzr,zetec,gte,cbr,nsr 80

:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement