Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

OSI wrote: »
    The problem I have at the moment is that there is too much water sitting on the car afterwards to make dry it with a cloth. I usually end up using 3 or 4 clothes before it's finished..

If you use a pressure washer, it should bead nicely after a wash but if not, that means you need to either boost the wax with the likes of wax it wet or it needs another wax.

I'm hating myself recently because I haven't gotten the chance to give the 335 a proper wax in ages. It's been getting boosters for a few months now. THere's no point in me trying though because it's either raining, too cold or I don't have enough time before the dew sets in :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

dgt wrote: »
    Easy to find! Looking good :) how come no pics on Irl plates?
    Yeah I know, Ill add them later. I spent hours cleaning it for that day (back when we had sun). Ive only got the plates now and the car and roads are muck covered.. between getting back in the dark from work everyday and the general $hitness of our weather, wont have IRL photos anytime soon. If it snows Ill get Winter tyres for the 16" wheel set and do some good photos, black SEC surrounded by clean white snow would look awesome!

But the buyer of such a thing is going to spend time looking at the advert, its not a fickle windowshopper purchase so Im not overly concerned. There are zero other 560SECs to compete with anyhow.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Anybody use those car drying squeegees?

I always cringed at the thought of running one over the bodywork, but I've seen numerous videos on YouTube of professional detailers using them, so I'm conflicted.

I've an autogylm one of those. Well my dad got one years ago. I was tempted to use it at one stage but settled on using claybar instead. I'm sure they do the same job, just clay would do it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Hal1 wrote: »
    I've an autogylm one of those. Well my dad got one years ago. I was tempted to use it at one stage but settled on using claybar instead. I'm sure they do the same job, just clay would do it better.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

The squeegee is for getting the excess water off the car, the clay removes bonded contaminants from the paint that can't be removed by washing alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Stheno wrote: »
    Yes, I bought a tablet with the intention of using it as an e-reader.

That was three months ago :eek: I gave away 400 books a few months ago :eek:

Just checked the price of a new ball joint for my car on micksgarage, and I'm pleased to discover it's not too expensive :)

@ Pred, could I ask you a quick q about the C5?

I read nearly exclusively on my Ipad now,

400 books, thats 3 years reading, even for me:eek:

If I can help on the C5, ask away;)

• Advertisement

Anybody use those car drying squeegees?..........

I used to use one of the wiper blades as a squeegee/water flicker type thing years back when I used to keep my car clean :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

pred racer wrote: »
    I read nearly exclusively on my Ipad now,

400 books, thats 3 years reading, even for me:eek:

If I can help on the C5, ask away;)

I read six to ten books a week, mix of fiction and non-fiction, bought ten yesterday, already read one.

Quick one, you know the console on the dash that displays the date/time/temperature/radio channel? The light on OH's has gone out, have you ever had to change one? Is it a case of remove that panel and replace the light or is it more complex?

No hassles if you haven't done it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

The squeegee is for getting the excess water off the car, the clay removes bonded contaminants from the paint that can't be removed by washing alone.

Ok thanks. Good job I never used it so. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

This D-turbo goes POWWWWWWWWW!

Hmmm, wonder if I can make my one do that.... :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

I read six to ten books a week, mix of fiction and non-fiction, bought ten yesterday, already read one.

Quick one, you know the console on the dash that displays the date/time/temperature/radio channel? The light on OH's has gone out, have you ever had to change one? Is it a case of remove that panel and replace the light or is it more complex?

Not often I meet someone who reads more than me:)

Sorry, I cant help on the display, mine worked fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Six to ten books a week!?!

That's at least a book a day! :eek::eek::eek:

In the words of Kenny Everett, you cannot be serious!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Six to ten books a week!?!

That's at least a book a day! :eek::eek::eek:

In the words of Kenny Everett, you cannot be serious!

Two to four over a weekend usually from Fri. evening to Sunday evening :)

I read extremely quickly, OH's kids call me the book hoover :)

Then time on busses, evenings etc.

Not small books either, I'd get through a Tom Clancy novel in about five hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Two to four over a weekend usually from Fri. evening to Sunday evening :)

I read extremely quickly, OH's kids call me the book hoover :)

Then time on busses, evenings etc.

Not small books either, I'd get through a Tom Clancy novel in about five hours.

What's the average Clancy novel? 500 pages easy? That's a page every 36 seconds - good going! :eek:

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    What's the average Clancy novel? 500 pages easy? That's a page every 36 seconds - good going! :eek:

Just checked two, without remorse, 768 and Rainbow Six 897
    Even as a kid I went to the library three times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

OSI - I use a drying blade every time I wash the car. I have an AG one and I wouldn't get away with one drying towel without it! It's perfect for the roof, bonnet and windows. When it gets to the lower half of the doors and front bumper etc... I just used the towel there as the water doesn't sit on them the same as the flat surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭bman1

So I don't think this is worth creating a new thread for but maybe some one might see this and be able to help. My ex had a 01 laguna and she got a new car and couldn't sell the laguna so I took it, it's grand as a runabout. Only problem with it is the passenger side rear wheel sits too far back towards the rear of the arch, it doesn't look centered like the other side. Ill be taking it to a garage on Friday anyway but figured it'd do no harm throwing it up here too. Anyone any ideas? Axle looks straight but I'm no mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

bman1 wrote: »
    couldn't sell the laguna so I took it, it's grand as a runabout. Only problem with it is the passenger side rear wheel sits too far back towards the rear of the arch, it doesn't look centered like the other side. Ill be taking it to a garage on Friday anyway but figured it'd do no harm throwing it up here too. Anyone any ideas? Axle looks straight but I'm no mechanic.

Sounds like you shouldnt be driving it, the damage that will cause on tyres and overall traction must be huge. I mean, it cant be driving or braking straight right? Did it slide into a kerb?

Lol on the "couldnt sell it", well obviously!?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭bman1

Not driving it no. Only drove it a few miles from hers to my house. It felt ok but obviously it's not. Only thing she remembered was hitting a open gully in a hole of water a while back, but I hadn't seen the car straight after that to say if that was the cause.
    Re selling it! It is a lol kinda thing, but it is a 2001 laguna with 179k on it and it's on it's second gearbox so despite it being really comfy if it wasn't free I wouldn't have had it either!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

RoverJames wrote: »
    Please do bare with me while I use the search function :)

Can we not keep our clothes on as you do the searchin' :D

Marcusm wrote: »

Jesus I'll be having nightmares now :(

That mental imagery was not necessary!

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »

It's the weekend after all :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Anybody use those car drying squeegees?

I always cringed at the thought of running one over the bodywork, but I've seen numerous videos on YouTube of professional detailers using them, so I'm conflicted.

Used one before and would never probably use one again. Very easy to scratch the paintwork I found. Then again I only used it once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

So blue LED dashboard lights is as good for coffee, if you're tired behind the wheel. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Trying to decide what to do with Alfa 156. Its running grand apart from the usual Alfa foibles (noisy variator, brushes at the front) but its out of Tax this month, will need a NCT in Jan which I know will need the other front wishbone replaced. So its a case of do I want to put 400-600 euro into a car that isn't worth much more than that.

Thinking of treating myself to something for my 30th. Just noticed that the 225bhp TT`s are down to 3-4k at this stage.

I can't see the point of putting that kind of money into a car that's just not worth anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Don't mention TT 225s....my head is wrecked from them!

Most people I've rang don't even know what haldex is or know that it needs an oil change. There's a nice one in cork for about 4.1k that's very clean. The owner sounds like he knows what he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Just checked two, without remorse, 768 and Rainbow Six 897
    Even as a kid I went to the library three times a week.

Without Remorse is one of my favourite books of his; I guess it must be nearly 20 years since I read it. I think Rainbow Six was the last one I enjoyed. This morning I noticed a new Jack Ryan novel but it's a joint effort and looks a bit short. Clancy was great with the techno thrillers and filled with detail - the jungle stuff in c&PD; the nuclear weapon stuff in SoAF. Not really excited or gripped by the ones post Rainbow 6.

Ok found out what I think is another symptom of my rough idle and buzzing noise from the Astra. The noise is only intermittent but now I think that it's only happening when I have the front and/or rear demistors on. The car vibrates a lot more when they are on and if you rev up the car when stationary with them on, when it drops below 1k revs to idling speed it vibrates a lot like it will conk only to rev itself up a bit to stop it from doing so. If you turn off the demistors this does not happen. The noise itself sounds like its coming from the alternator areaish but I never have anymore battery problems it starts perfectly all the time.
    Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Today, when walking back to college, there was a Transit broken down just before the side entrance. I couldn't believe what was got to jump start it....

An Alfa 156!!! :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    ...... Shame that I will probably have to scrap it in Jan...........

You should still get €300 ish for it imo by selling it as is :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement