Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Redisle wrote: »
    not sure if anyone has seen this.. could be an interesting car (maybe for dgt!).

Stilo Abarth
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4202046

I noticed it last week when I was randomly browsing. Not a clue why it's listed in vintage cars though! Again shame about the vrt/tax.

2.4 with only 180hp and selespeed box :confused:

I'd rather eat €2600 then spend it on that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

To be fair a 325 is only 192bhp and a 323 is less than 180 iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Stilo is actually 170

0-60 is 8.2 for example

An mjet diesel is just as quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

But won't sound as good and won't be as much fun

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

1.3l Rotory FTW!
    RX-7 Spirit R, 278bhp and 0-60 in 4.9 seconds. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CianRyan wrote: »
    1.3l Rotory FTW!
    RX-7 Spirit R, 278bhp and 0-60 in 4.9 seconds. :cool:

I fear those cars.

I'm seriously thinking of getting a Punto Sport or some such as my next car, I've decided I like small cars.
    My own however is too short, I can never find the little beast in car parks as all the hulks hide it :D

Stheno wrote: »
    I fear those cars.

I'm seriously thinking of getting a Punto Sport or some such as my next car, I've decided I like small cars.
    My own however is too short, I can never find the little beast in car parks as all the hulks hide it :D

I fear the people that own them, not the entusiastas but the idiots that buy them and don't look after the engines!

I want one, they better be still around when I can afford one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CianRyan wrote: »
    I fear the people that own them, not the entusiastas but the idiots that buy them and don't look after the engines!

I want one, they better be still around when I can afford one.

They are beautiful cars, I just don't know enough about them, hence the fear, and why I'd not buy one now if I had the money.

There was an MX-8 I used see regularly on my commute, always made me smile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I can't see the point of putting that kind of money into a car that's just not worth anything.

I don't agree. I have a good solid reliable 156 myself that needs suspension work and a bulb to get it through the NCT. The car is only worth €800 but, I'd happily put money into it, because at the end of it, I have a lovely car that I know everything about, service history etc, and I'll use it for a couple of more years.

You might say sell it and put the €800 towards a new car but I'd be looking at under €2k car's if that was the case, and the chances are I could buy a serious POS that won't be anything like the Alfa to drive.

When the NCT come's round, I'll be putting good money into mine because it's worth it to me. I couldn't give a toss what someone else will pay for it...

166man wrote: »
    I don't agree. I have a good solid reliable 156 myself that needs suspension work and a bulb to get it through the NCT. The car is only worth €800 but, I'd happily put money into it, because at the end of it, I have a lovely car that I know everything about, service history etc, and I'll use it for a couple of more years.

You might say sell it and put the €800 towards a new car but I'd be looking at under €2k car's if that was the case, and the chances are I could buy a serious POS that won't be anything like the Alfa to drive.

When the NCT come's round, I'll be putting good money into mine because it's worth it to me. I couldn't give a toss what someone else will pay for it...

I'm all about this.

You're paying for the car for yourself, not anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Difference is, for some strange reason you like alfas. I'm not saying Lightning doesn't, but they're probably not his top of the food chain.

There's no point continually pouring money into a car just because it works, or you know it's service history if you don't want to drive it, or don't see yourself keeping it.

Difference is, for some strange reason you like alfas. I'm not saying Lightning doesn't, but they're probably not his top of the food chain.

Why is it strange? :o:D

No that's understandable, and he's been hinting at a change so work away, I just don't agree in principle on the idea of ''sure it's only worth €800 no way am I spending €500 on it''. Fook that I say if you like and trust the car...:D

My two front tyres have different thread types so I believed that I had to have them both the same. Rang kellehers tyres to sort out a new one and he says once they are the same size tyre on the same axle and have enough thread it will pass. Is this right yeah?:o

I don't agree. I have a good solid reliable 156 myself that needs suspension work .........

Also spark plugs iirc and has variator rattle and also has been ran low on oil, good and solid in your eyes, a POS in most peoples eyes that wouldn't make €500 as is :)

......... Is this right yeah?:o

Yep, as long as one isn't a cross ply :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My two front tyres have different thread types so I believed that I had to have them both the same. Rang kellehers tyres to sort out a new one and he says once they are the same size tyre on the same axle and have enough thread it will pass. Is this right yeah?:o

You're grand

tread_types_en,property=original.jpg

no one is no.1 and the other is no.3 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Why is it strange? :o:DNo that's understandable, and he's been hinting at a change so work away, I just don't agree in principle on the idea of ''sure it's only worth €800 no way am I spending €500 on it''. Fook that I say if you like and trust the car...:D
    This similar attitude has left me nearly financially ruined at times. Just look at all the work gone into the 406 for example, it's made an example of me
    OSI wrote: »
    I have a loathing for Stilos. And the 2.4 Abarth is just insulting. Crap power from a heavy engine in the front of a light car.

+1

An absolute insult to what it replaced. A fairly bad move, they went electric mad on everything.

The 2.0 Bravo developed 147bhp and later 155 bhp, that 2.4 should have a lot more. At least 200 imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

RoverJames wrote: »
    Also spark plugs iirc and has variator rattle and also has been ran low on oil, good and solid in your eyes, a POS in most peoples eyes that wouldn't make €500 as is :)

its+a+deep+burn+_b328f25a0870ba1f40d475b1ae7feaa4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

tread_types_en,property=original.jpg

no one is no.1 and the other is no.3 :)

As long as the tyres are the same size and "e" marked, I don't see why you should have a problem. :)

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The 156 is a great car and has served me very well and if it wasn't for a few things I would probably keep her. She is comfy, drives well, looks good but isn't worth anything. Putting 450 in Tax,50 NCT and another 175 for suspension isn't worth it in my view.

That said she has never let me down and I would not have a problem getting another Alfa in the future. In fact the only cars that have never let me down have been Italian cars :o

I always believed regardless of the make/model just as long it serviced and maintained it shouldn't give trouble. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

As long as the tyres are the same size and "e" marked, I don't see why you should have a problem. :)

...and that they are the same brand and size on each axle.

They have to be the same brand as well? I did look through the NCT manual, but couldn't see anything about that..

one is a conti and the other is goodyear. cant imagine them needing to be same brand? otherwise my mum and brothers cars shouldnt have passed. they are both 225/35/178 though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Folks. Do NCT centres usually ask for the log book. I see its on the advised list of items to bring but I think I didn't bother with it last time either.

I can get the log book but it will involve a 50 mile drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Folks. Do NCT centres usually ask for the log book. I see its on the advised list of items to bring but I think I didn't bother with it last time either.

I can get the log book but it will involve a 50 mile drive.

I needed mine a few weeks ago

RoverJames wrote: »

Not having new spark plugs doesn't affect it's reliability. You just made up the thing about the variator rattle seeing as it was replaced in February and it has never been ran on low oil, I just top it up when it needs it.

It is good and solid in my eyes. It starts, stops and drives fine for me, that makes it a reliable car. It has never failed to start in the 12 years we have it so please don't refer to my pride and joy as a Piece of Sh1t please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

They do not even need to be the same thread let alone the same brand. As long as they're E marked and you're not mixing cross-ply and radial tyres (unlikely) you're fine.

Size is a given though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Same size yes

same brand no

• Advertisement

dare I? :eek: :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement