Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Fast car is crap imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

dgt wrote: »
    Fast car is crap imo

I know well, But the auto trader isn't really much good either. I think I might sell my 31 mags for the craic. :D "Just testing the water" style. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I know well, But the auto trader isn't really much good either. I think I might sell my 31 mags for the craic. :D "Just testing the water" style. :pac:

Or keep em like my dad did. Magazines that are 44 years old reside in the kitchen. Nice looking back at that vintage material :)

dgt wrote: »
    Or keep em like my dad did. Magazines that are 44 years old reside in the kitchen. Nice looking back at that vintage material :)

Ya, seems like a good idea. :) 31 magazines wouldn't gather much Id say anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Last trip of the year to paris, here we go!

• Advertisement

pred racer wrote: »

And done in style. Posts: 1,999. :cool::D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Difference is, for some strange reason you like alfas. I'm not saying Lightning doesn't, but they're probably not his top of the food chain.

There's no point continually pouring money into a car just because it works, or you know it's service history if you don't want to drive it, or don't see yourself keeping it.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The 156 is a great car and has served me very well and if it wasn't for a few things I would probably keep her. She is comfy, drives well, looks good but isn't worth anything. Putting 450 in Tax,50 NCT and another 175 for suspension isn't worth it in my view.

That said she has never let me down and I would not have a problem getting another Alfa in the future. In fact the only cars that have never let me down have been Italian cars :o

I took the same view with my 156, it got to a point where I could have put money into it, but economically it didn't make sense anymore

Folks. Do NCT centres usually ask for the log book. I see its on the advised list of items to bring but I think I didn't bother with it last time either.

I can get the log book but it will involve a 50 mile drive.

Northwood one in Ballymun Yes, Northwood two in Ballymun, no. Deansgrange, no Kells, no. It's like a feckin lottery, you HAVE to have id, but most of the time they will let you away without the logbook
    pred racer wrote: »

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Stheno wrote: »
    Northwood one in Ballymun Yes, Northwood two in Ballymun, no. Deansgrange, no Kells, no. It's like a feckin lottery, you HAVE to have id, but most of the time they will let you away without the logbook

Northpoint 2 in ballymun asked me a week ago when i did mine....... just saying.

also coming down the M1 i got fecking riddled by a 2002 Corsa... i was doing then 120KPH and she flew past me... fecking pocket rocket ! :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Northpoint 2 in ballymun asked me a week ago when i did mine....... just saying.

also coming down the M1 i got fecking riddled by a 2002 Corsa... i was doing then 120KPH and she flew past me... fecking pocket rocket ! :eek:

That's mad, I was in Northwood 2 last Weds, think you were there Tues?

M1 is a rally track disguised as a motorway :)

I'd a colleague who had a ford ka a few years ago, he regularly flew past the rest of us in the mornings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Stheno wrote: »
    That's mad, I was in Northwood 2 last Weds, think you were there Tues?

M1 is a rally track disguised as a motorway :)

I'd a colleague who had a ford ka a few years ago, he regularly flew past the rest of us in the mornings :D

A ka at speed? The whole thing feels like it's going to fall apart at 70mph haha. Can't imagine it has the beans to go much faster with 59bhp :pac:

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »
    I don't agree. I have a good solid reliable 156 myself that needs suspension work and a bulb to get it through the NCT. The car is only worth €800 but, I'd happily put money into it, because at the end of it, I have a lovely car that I know everything about, service history etc, and I'll use it for a couple of more years.

Not having new spark plugs doesn't affect it's reliability. You just made up the thing about the variator rattle seeing as it was replaced in February and it has never been ran on low oil, I just top it up when it needs it.

It is good and solid in my eyes. It starts, stops and drives fine for me, that makes it a reliable car. It has never failed to start in the 12 years we have it so please don't refer to my pride and joy as a Piece of Sh1t please.

I never said not having new spark plugs effected it's reliability (although it's quite likely not running as well as it could) that was simply in response to your claim about knowing the service history, no car as old as yours should be on the factory plugs which you no doubt know :)

Made up the thing about the variator rattle did I?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81638371

I suppose I made up the thing about you running it on low oil too :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81569670&postcount=1082
    Not checked enough in your own words.
    If you want to knock a few more years out of it it would be worthwhile not to neglect basic maintenance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

that iQ i was going to look at might be sold tonight so im gonna look at this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4203683 tomorrow. the seller is giving a good price. mileage is a bit scary with possible turbo/clutch issues etc but im still tempted!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I'm gutted i won't get to see biceps101s car!

BX 19 wrote: »
    A ka at speed? The whole thing feels like it's going to fall apart at 70mph haha. Can't imagine it has the beans to go much faster with 59bhp :pac:

He regularly overtook me when I was at 120kph on the motorway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

OSI wrote: »
    I know, but I guess we're lucky, wouldn't be a woman left in the midlands if he'd posted that car.

If i'm being totally honest i had a clean pair of boxers ready for myself just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

RoverJames wrote: »
    I never said not having new spark plugs effected it's reliability (although it's quite likely not running as well as it could) that was simply in response to your claim about knowing the service history, no car as old as yours should be on the factory plugs which you no doubt know :)

If you want to knock a few more years out of it it would be worthwhile not to neglect basic maintenance :)

You're getting sloppy James:pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80365270

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72803573

Same problem too not too far apart. If someones going to mention reliability at least be honest. Not major failings on an old car by any means but you'd swear it never gave a minutes bother:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

that iQ i was going to look at might be sold tonight so im gonna look at this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4203683 tomorrow. the seller is giving a good price. mileage is a bit scary with possible turbo/clutch issues etc but im still tempted!

Looks nice enough alright. That is pretty high mileage on that type of car at that age though, I'd be making sure the reasons given for that are kosher.

One thing I don't get is why they give the part leather seats but then put that greyish looking dull cloth fabric on them as well, it might just be the pictures, but they look terrible.

They are much nicer looking than the Astra OPC though, love that colour and the alloys are tasty looking as well. Central exhaust really suits the Corsa too.

He drives from cork to clonmel a lot he said. I actually used to hate the seats but now I really like them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I mentioned it being a reliable car in my post and you came along with the spark plug comment indicating that it might affect reliability. Granted I'm sure the car will be running better when it has the new ones in but I don't have the cash at the moment. It will be done after Christmas.

I do know the service history. I know how it's been kept and it's been a well minded car apart from the plugs not being done, that was more oversight. If it wasn't well minded it wouldn't still be running today now would it? ;)

I don't actually know what that rattle is tbh, it was doing it before the variator was replaced and it still did/does it today, as I said though, I know it's fine, you missed that part.

It was a little low on oil because of the driving it did over that period. The car used to do 4k miles a year and then suddenly did 4k miles in 8 weeks odd. That doesn't mean it's always run on low oil...

I then went on to say that I need to check it more which I have been doing. As far as I'm concerned the car starts and stops perfectly, making it reliable for me. No 12 year old car isn't going to have no problems.

Saying I neglect to give it basic maintenance and calling it a POS is just rude really. Not at all surprised though

@Muppetcheck - The same as before, I won't be replying to your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

@Muppetcheck - The same as before, I won't be replying to your comments.

Fair enough. I called you on it and got my answer.

• Advertisement

I said it was a piece of sh1t in most people's eyes as Is, needing suspension work, short nct, noisy from cold and having been ran on low oil and the original plugs. It wouldn't make for nice reading in a for sale add :)
    You know all about being rude, you don't consider calling someone a half wit insulting after all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I said it was a piece of sh1t in most people's eyes as Is, needing suspension work, short nct, noisy from cold and having been ran on low oil and the original plugs. It wouldn't make for nice reading in a for sale add :)
    You know all about being rude, you don't consider calling someone a half wit insulting after all ;)

Suspension work is necessary on most Alfa's. Short NCT? :D

Noisy from cold is something I have seen on many 156's to date. Car always warms up and always sits at bang on 90 on the dash.

It hasn't been ran on low oil for the third time. It needed oil so I topped it up. Has been fine ever since.

The original plugs will be rectified within the next 4 weeks.

I think you'll struggle to find a 12 year old Alfa that doesn't have something needing doing to it. In fact you'll struggle to find a 12 year old car for under €800 that won't need work doing to it.

Ah now, you're not still upset about that ''half-wit'' comment are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

@RJ And 166man

We've had enough of this little spat, either ignore each other or go on a date.I don't really care.Last and final warning, I will be banning both of ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

He drives from cork to clonmel a lot he said. I actually used to hate the seats but now I really like them :)

I drive through clonmel when I go to college in ucc and its about 110km so if he was doing that trip very often the mileage would add up. It's a lovely car the blue colour is the nicest colour IMO. You don't see corsa OPC's everyday so it is unusual. Seems to be a serious car for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

110km twice (we'll say he comes back as well :P) in 143,000km is 650 times, so 130 times a year allowing it be just about 5 years old.

I'm guessing it must be where the missus lives! :D

(of course this means he only ever drove there and back, which is obviously unrealistic but not quite as entertaining)

Well he's giving me a great price on it. Gotta sell my own first which ehem...there is a link to in my Sig:p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well he's giving me a great price on it. Gotta sell my own first which ehem...there is a link to in my Sig:p

Take this line out of the ad imo
    *1.8 mpg truly only marginally worse in town than the 1.4 but much more fun

Nice car g'luck:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Take this line out of the ad imo

Nice car g'luck:cool:

+1

I read that as the car having a mpg of 1.8!

That Corsa OPC is lovely btw, I saw one before up near the student accoms on Carrigrohane road. Lovely colour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Good luck with the corsa, can never have enough hot hatch fanboi boardsies

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement