Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

It will because there's no way i'd leave without it! I've never broken a car before, but there's definitely money in this one. But I don't have a lot of spare time, could put €1000 to better use elsewhere and it would be criminal to break it up!

Ive broken lots of them, but not in the way you mean:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The point is it's still a V12, it still has the same power, and you get the exact same fun you always did for half the price (if not less).

The way it comes across is you're just a complete petrol fanboy, but for no obvious reason other than it's petrol..... almost seems that you'd rather take a 1L petrol yaris over a V12 on LPG. Begs the question why care about the engine (V6,8,10,12) at all? The engine and it's characteristics don't change.

Matt has his S8 converted to LPG and there was no difference what so ever switching between LPG and petrol. No reason to run the 850 on it as well tbh

Shut your mouth diesel boy. ;)

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to these things. :cool:

And as for the Yaris comment - I think you know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The way it comes across is you're just a complete petrol fanboy, but for no obvious reason other than it's petrol

Careful now diesel boi :P
    pred racer wrote: »
    I can confirm that Matts S8 was still well able to go on Lpg and I personally wouldnt have been able to tell the difference.

+1 I was in the car with you that day and the change-over from petrol to LPG was seamless. If anything, LPG could produce more power because IIRC, it has a higher energy/octane rating than petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Sorry Matt, it's rare I would disagree with you but Voodoo's E38 is as good as the day it came out of the factory. Only thing it may be missing is a more powerful plant. Now suggesting he retire his current motor for the V12 and then converting that to LPG is just silly IMO.

What's the point in having a V12 if you're gonna run it on LPG? Can you imagine me doing similar with the Trans Am? Would you do it to the 850?
    Disagreeing with me is fine. :p
    Honestly I dont know his car in great detail other than the photos, so I dont know for sure what he would loose or gain. I was also suggesting I would run it on LPG, mostly in response to the predicted "does it come with an Oil well comment". The cost of fuel is (literally) prohibitive, its the death knell to virtually everything not a 4pot/diesel. LPG is an answer, pretty much the only answer in Ireland. If we would get super cheap E85 it would also be an option, but that ship sailed.

Im still not following you on "whats the point in having a V12 if you are going to run it on LPG". Owning a V12 is not about spending a lot of money on petrol.. yes if thats the attraction then LPG "ruins it". Its not like Im suggesting people buy V12s and run them as 6pots to save fuel or something insane. LPG is a 120octane mineral based fuel thats approx half the cost of petrol with about 80% the energy content.

I could imagine you doing it on the Trans Am yes.. again I dont see why not? Guy in work has a Dodge Ram 5.4 V8 with a 200litre LPG tank in it. He finds its cheaper to run than his diesel Ford Ranger. And obviously far nicer to drive, sounding, faster. Pretty much the same as my experience with the S8.. I could drive that for about the same price as the 2.4litre Alfa diesel (my commute is about 80miles a day) and again, no comparison.

Would I do it on the 850CSi? Yes though the only thing holding me back was the fact its a 1/160 example of that car and its a semi-sequantial fuel injection system which is awkward/problematic on the advanced modern fully sequential LPG systems. If setup properly it could potentially offer more power than the old petrol injection system.
    I was pondering doing it on a regular 850i. I already seen a 840i on LPG.. sounded and went excellent. And on a 400bhp EVO.

Im not trying to be a dick, but can you spell out exactly why you are so against LPG on "big engines/cars"? To me, thats the only point of LPG, its an enabler fuel.
    I boggle at the people putting it on 1.6litre Octavia's and the like, IMO thats missing the point.

I can see the point if you are doing big mileage in a big bus and want better fuel economy for sure. But generally most people driving older luxobarges aren't doing huge mileage and their main bone of contention is tax, not fuel costs.

Call me blind if you will but half the fun in having a big petrol guzzling beast is the fact that it's a big petrol guzzling beast, that and the two fingers to the begrudgers. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Call me blind if you will but half the fun in having a big petrol guzzling beast is the fact that it's a big petrol guzzling beast, that and the two fingers to the begrudgers. ;)

hard to argue with that:)

Although you could give the same begrudgers the same two fingers for half the price;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

But wouldn't you love to pass more begrudgers driving 80-100 miles a day and not have to worry about a €300 petrol bill at the end of the week? :D

I can see the point if you are doing big mileage in a big bus and want better fuel economy for sure. But generally most people driving older luxobarges aren't doing huge mileage and their main bone of contention is tax, not fuel costs.

Mostly arent doing big mileage due to the cost of fuel, which easily dwarf tax, they cant afford it. There is also no point in paying tax for a car you dont drive. Which is the catch 22 in the "petrol only" world.

If they have a garage queen they have no interest in actually driving, then obviously converting to LPG would be a pointless endeavor. Im not a fan of having a car I cannot drive anytime or all the time if the I want. I dont take pride in excessive consumption of fuel.. its expensive and stopping at petrol stations is annoying. I accept it, but if I can address it I would for sure. Giving 2 fingers to the begrudgers is the definition of running a V8 on LPG in Ireland btw. Running it on petrol they just laugh/pity you.

I would love to see how my 560SEC would run on LPG, its petrol injection system is prehistoric.

dar83 wrote: »

But wouldn't you love to pass more begrudgers driving 80-100 miles a day and not have to worry about a €300 petrol bill at the end of the week? :D

Thing is I don't do 100 miles a week so fuel costs don't bother me. It's spending almost ad much in tax as I do in fuel that does. Similarly with the T/A, it's a weekend car and the tax is only E52 per annum. If I was doing 100 miles a day I would happily drive a 535d.;)

Thing is I don't do 100 miles a week so fuel costs don't bother me. It's spending almost ad much in tax as I do in fuel that does. Similarly with the T/A, it's a weekend car and the tax is only E52 per annum. If I was doing 100 miles a day I would happily drive a 535d.;)

Well then you shouldnt compare the 850CSi to the T/A! The 850CSi maybe rare and swish but its a legitimate daily driver. Its doing 120miles a day and yes sadly its on petrol. BMW didnt spend 1billion DM to make a car I could admire on a driveway as I drive to work in a diesel 4banger.

535d's are nice (mother has one) however:

- Its about 16times more expensive than that 750i to buy
    - Its not as nice on the inside
    - Its not as classy (its an E60 5 series at the end of the day)
    - Its about 60bhp less than the 750i and despite the misleading peak torque its unlikely to have close to the same wheel torque (ie on the ground).
    - It would cost more to run than an LPG'd 750i and ironically likely less reliable too.
    - Doesnt sound or drive like a V12.. sounds and drives like a good diesel. Which is well short of the mark when the other hand is holding a 5.4litre V12's keys.

Just wanted to update the car video since so many have asked to hear more of it. The V12 is BMW's best engine IMO and the 7 series is a rock solid play toy if you have the gas card to feed it!

• Advertisement

Ewwww. Get out! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

<inserts random petrol hating comment>

<receives Diesel fanboi abuse>

<LOL's>

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

When was the last time you said "I'll take the 7er cos the T/A would cost too much for that trip" ? (May be a bad comparison for you, I don't know - you get the point) The point of LPG is never having to say that. Weekend cars can be daily cars. The reason the whole country moved to small diesel engines is because they're cheap (to tax, and to run).

I certainly think that Matt has a point. If LPG was common here and people (read: enthusiasts) were willing to forgo the "petrol is the only fuel" mentality, then IMO you'd have a much better car culture. Tax is the big killer in reality for large engines, but if you're looking at a tiny fuel bill rather than €2-300 every time you want to go somewhere, that pill becomes much easier to swallow.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

When was the last time you said "I'll take the 7er cos the T/A would cost too much for that trip" ? (May be a bad comparison for you, I don't know - you get the point) The point of LPG is never having to say that. Weekend cars can be daily cars. The reason the whole country moved to small diesel engines is because they're cheap (to tax, and to run).

I certainly think that Matt has a point. If LPG was common here and people (read: enthusiasts) were willing to forgo the "petrol is the only fuel" mentality, then IMO you'd have a much better car culture. Tax is the big killer in reality for large engines, but if you're looking at a tiny fuel bill rather than €2-300 every time you want to go somewhere, that pill becomes much easier to swallow.

I'd agree with this.

The OH would love a luxobarge, I'd love a 3.2 Alfa

We'd both be happy to pay the tax, it's the cost of petrol that puts us off.

Christ, don't ever let him kill something worthwhile!

He can't even work a cd player in a car. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

There's a guy in Thailand on the bimmerforums who bought an old 730d E38 ($21000!) and bought the front HALF of a 750i from Japan and transplanted the engine in, as import tax is mental over there. Always an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

we think our roads are bad?

fwvBS.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

Stheno wrote: »
    Right so, got the car radio in Lidl for the OH.

have to get a converter kit for his car in the motor factors, and then it should be a simple enough install :)

Will be nice to be able to play cds in his car again :)

What's the converter kit for? I was going to buy one of these for the Corrolla i just can't live without a cd player anymore i am cracking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fiona wrote: »
    What's the converter kit for? I was going to buy one of these for the Corrolla i just can't live without a cd player anymore i am cracking up.

It's an iso loom, you may not need one Fiona, depending on the radio that's already in the corolla (sometimes kenwood from new)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's an iso loom, you may not need one Fiona, depending on the radio that's already in the corolla (sometimes kenwood from new)

Yeah its actually a decent radio great sound from it but seriously need cd player when your driving for 3 hours solid!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Fiona wrote: »

Yeah its actually a decent radio great sound from it but seriously need cd player when your driving for 3 hours solid!
    If you have a lotta stuff on iPod then you could get a iPod-to-tape thing and away ya go. Practically the same as using aux in on a newer radio, and preferable imo to the FM transmitters.

On the other hand - If the lidl radio is under 50 and you want it now, then waiting for the slow boat from China to deliver the tape converter might not be worth it.

(personally, nearly all my choons are mp3 and I have a preference for keeping it digital til the final audio stage - so the sd card option on that radio would be handiest for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Or you could get a tape thingy in tesco!

Or you could get a tape thingy in tesco!
    Do they have em? Couldn't find one a while back when I was rocking a real banger that wasn't worth a real radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

langdang wrote: »
    Do they have em? Couldn't find one a while back when I was rocking a real banger that wasn't worth a real radio

Yes, we have em here. Technika (Tesco own) brand

dgt wrote: »
    Yes, we have em here. Technika (Tesco own) brand
    T'would do fine, as good or better than an eBay job and no waiting 3 weeks.

Although the bluetooth on the lidl yoke is another handy feature.

I've the same Sony radio now that follows me car to car, MP3, WMA, M4A, USB, CD, AUX in. Got for 150 yoyo in the Sony store years ago - they must have been smoking something that day, they were as cheap or cheaper than online. The equivalent model today is more expensive!

Hate the newer cars with the built into dash systems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

T'would do fine, as good or better than an eBay job and no waiting 3 weeks.

Although the bluetooth on the lidl yoke is another handy feature.

I've the same Sony radio now that follows me car to car, MP3, WMA, M4A, USB, CD, AUX in. Got for 150 yoyo in the Sony store years ago - they must have been smoking something that day, they were as cheap or cheaper than online. The equivalent model today is more expensive!

Hate the newer cars with the built into dash systems...

Just checked there, 20 quid for it :)

I have a radio like that myself, an odd spec Pioneer from the far east, have it since 2008 and it's been in a variety of different cars since! No frills, no stuff to go wrong :) has an rca out and aux in, good enough for me. Cheap as chips too :D

Jebus, 20yoyo? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

have to say just on those tape deck to mp3 things or the fm transmitters that the sound quality isint the best out of them, can be a bit hazy at times.

poxy headlight on the civic went yesturday , fecking halfords :mad:

considering some xeon upgrade but dont actually know whats involved in it - would get a white white and not blue type thing. and a set for the crv too......

have to say just on those tape deck to mp3 things or the fm transmitters that the sound quality isint the best out of them, can be a bit hazy at times.

poxy headlight on the civic went yesturday , fecking halfords :mad:

considering some xeon upgrade but dont actually know whats involved in it - would get a white white and not blue type thing. and a set for the crv too......
    Ya, mp3 on a usb is better. Was only suggesting a (cheap) tape as Fiona is on an eco drive there with the corolla.

Personally, I wouldn't do HID (guessing that's what you mean by Xeon) without projector headlights and definitely not if its H4 bulbs you have. Crv mk1 was h4. Dunno bout mk2. That's just me like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Ya, mp3 on a usb is better. Was only suggesting a (cheap) tape as Fiona is on an eco drive there with the corolla.

Personally, I wouldn't do HID (guessing that's what you mean by Xeon) without projector headlights and definitely not if its H4 bulbs you have. Crv mk1 was h4. Dunno bout mk2. That's just me like...

indeed lol

i havent a clue what bulbs the cr-v uses yet myself tbh, didnt change any yet unless the garage did them. was thinking that with the cr-v that it might no be best to do them like that because they are a bit high up too,

the civic uses H7's and H1's for high beams and 501s for side lights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement