Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Haha, I didn't take that into account for those of us who like to over indulge.

I guess it's going be a weekend then, which sucks for me because mine are always tied up. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CianRyan wrote: »
    Haha, I didn't take that into account for those of us who like to over indulge.

I guess it's going be a weekend then, which sucks for me because mine are always tied up. :(

If you ask nicely your gf might untie you for one of them?

Stheno wrote: »

It's really the only time I get to see her other than two hours during the week, I'd be free to go if I liked but ya know, she comes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Stheno wrote: »

His left hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

CianRyan wrote: »
    It's really the only time I get to see her other than two hours during the week, I'd be free to go if I liked but ya know, she comes first.

She can't live that far away from you.... Can she?

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    She can't live that far away from you.... Can she?

Only 4km but she works full time and goes to bed pretty early so we don't get a lot of each other during the week.
    More now that I drive but not enough to give up weekend time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Both have black leather,climate and Quattro. Power is something I like and since its the same engine tax isn't an issue. Think I will just have to smash the piggy bank and go for it.

Well I suppose how much extra power in the question. It's probably not worth 50% more money for 10% more power... Also there is lower miles on the second car...

How long will you be keeping it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Both have black leather,climate and Quattro. Power is something I like and since its the same engine tax isn't an issue. Think I will just have to smash the piggy bank and go for it.

I'd go for the 225TT:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

A weiner TT or a real one... tough choice! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Its a TT so its and both are quattro. Unsure really

180bhp
    225bhp

Get the 225 and then get it remapped. :p

• Advertisement

sorry for hearing my rant, quite upset lately...

Quite understandable, having the hours chopped is a huge issue so you are quite justified in being p1ssed off. Adding in the motor tax increases for two cars etc and it's no surprise at all you're down in the dumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Yay it's friday :)

Got the 22nd off for my annual Christmas pub crawl through Galway with a bunch of mates who are scattered across the country during the year, Oh yea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

**Rant alert**

First off, WTF is it with cyclists? Went round a bend (not the mental variety-soon will do at this rate though..) 500 mts down from my house and Wednesday morning there's this muppet standing in the middle of the road rubbing his arse, bike in the ditch. I stopped in time but only just, was doing about 35 kph as the road was solid ice in places-it froze hard the night before on a wet road (which never gets gritted BTW.:rolleyes:). Now normally I would be a bit more sympathetic, but for f**ks sake what the hell would you be doing cycling on an icy road in the Wicklow mountains in December when its barely above freezing? What goes through their tiny little minds?

I could have killed the dope, and guess who's fault that would been..:mad: Then the prick has the audacity to yell 'slow down' to me..I swallowed the rage and drove on, cause if I engaged I honestly don't know how it would have turned out. I rarely get annoyed on the road cause its not worth it, but sometimes I encounter people that just push my buttons.

If you are reading this you stupid, obnoxious little man, I hope you learned your lesson.

Then today, I see some moron reversing back up the southbound on ramp at Kilmacanoge :eek: what possesses some one to the wrong way up a ramp where people are accelerating up to 100 to merge?

Then to cap it all off, get back to the car after a trip to the shagging dentists to find a lump gone out of my rear bumper and drivers side rear panel by some clown who was parked beside me:(

Has there been an outbreak of rampant stupidity I missed or something?

Anyway, rant over and sorry for going on but its cheaper than a therapist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Get the 225 and then get it remapped. :p

THIS THIS THIS!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

There's a nasty thread over on BMW driver, costs for the year.

I banged together my receipts, €5000 excluding fuel. :/

€140 Battery
    €380 Centre link & tie rods
    €600 Tyres
    €500 Wheel refurb
    €60 DSC pump
    €190 Ball joints and links
    €220 Full fluid/filter service
    €220 Auxiliary fan
    €33 Intake boots
    €252 Rear control arms & guide rods
    €70 Rear heated seats
    €250 on joint machine polisher & detail products
    €60 Wipers
    €15 Bulbs
    €45 Alignment
    €115 Miscellaneous

+
    €1300 tax
    +
    €550 insurance
    =
    €5000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Can't believe this. I just picked up the Alfa (NCT to 2/14) and went for a first spin.. managed to hit a pothole and buckle the inner lip of an alloy and get a flat!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I really really really hope this is repairable. There is no crack but the lip is bent outwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

There's a nasty thread over on BMW driver, costs for the year.

I banged together my receipts, €5000 excluding fuel. :/

Ouch, I hope that's not an average year. What BMW do you drive?

A 2000 E38. Do frig all miles, works out about €1 a mile including fuel. To think even a spin literally down the road to the shop costs €2 is disheartening.

Sounds about fight for an 8 series tbh :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

A 2000 E38. Do frig all miles, works out about €1 a mile including fuel. To think even a spin literally down the road to the shop costs €2 is disheartening.

It's at that age now. Been thinking long and hard about a weekend car. Hard to find a balance between what I want to drive and what I can afford to drive. Don't won't to be having second thoughts about going for a spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Most of those costs ^ are either one off or long-life replacement items (hopefully). I'd say your average yearly isn't even €2500. (Still a fair whack before fuel though)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Most of those costs ^ are either one off or long-life replacement items (hopefully). I'd say your average yearly isn't even €2500. (Still a fair whack before fuel though)

He probably spent less than that on fuel. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Redisle wrote: »
    Can't believe this. I just picked up the Alfa (NCT to 2/14) and went for a first spin.. managed to hit a pothole and buckle the inner lip of an alloy and get a flat!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I really really really hope this is repairable. There is no crack but the lip is bent outwards.

Ah feck!, Best of luck with it anyway. :)

You're right, will be less next year anyways.
    MCMLXXV wrote: »
    He probably spent less than that on fuel. ;)

Think the total for this year is coming in a shade over €2000 on fuel, not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Oucho Voodoo!

Edit: I've changed my mind about sharing the figures, it's actually slightly embarassing...

I think I may have to take up a new hobby in the new year, I spend too much on the car!

Nevermind dar he is fine, he moonlights as a plastidip dealer, we all say we just need one hit until we need the next and the next...

Oh the humanity :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'm not telling ye coonts anything about my motor expenses only this - 36 mpg average from Thurles to Dublin this evening, cruise set at 130 all the way. That'll show ya how well engineered the N54 engine is compared to the MPS :D

/fanboi

I banged together my receipts, €5000 excluding fuel. :/...........

Mine wasn't too bad....

Coolant 2l OAT late Nov 13
    Dec 2011 Wiper Blades 22.5
    Jan 2012 10w40 diesel 97,600 miles 22.39
    Coolant 2l OAT Feb 13.5
    Gallon OAT May 24
    Osram Nighbreakers 17.35
    10w40 June 101800 20
    Part worn fronts.... 102126 140
    NCT July 103000 55
    Coolant 104000 30
    Pirelli 104000 175
    Stat and housing 104000 60
    Labour Sep '12 150
    Tail light bulbs 2

Lots of coolant before the stat housing finally calved and I paid to have it replaced, first time in a few years paying having to pay for labour but couldn't tackle it myself as I had an incident with a petrol hedge cutters during the summer and a fingy or too weren't the best.

Also had an incident in the car where I burst a front tyre, escaped with only that damage though, that €175 and the stat housing accounted for €385 of the €745 maintenance.

Add in a grand for tax and €350 iirc for insurance and it's not too bad of a total, €2095 :)

Have a gallon of Mobil 1 and an oil filter to throw in sometime soon and need two tyres shortly but that's be in 2013 :)

My yoke is less than pristine though and there's no way I'd throw €3000 maintenance into it in a year as it's worth feck all.

(happy to throw €4000/annum into the petrol cap though)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Redisle wrote: »

Hope so

My 156 ended up with the ABS light on after I hopped it off a pothole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Starting the godson early. :D

IMAG0238-1.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement