Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

RoverJames wrote: »
    Yep, the floor is dug out iirc

If the car was very low though you'd encounter difficulty with the brake test as there's a drop for that as the wheels slip into the roller yokes :)

Ah right cheers, never knew that before, this might sound strange, but Iv'e never been in a N.C.T center before. :( am I missing much?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ah right cheers, never knew that before, this might sound strange, but Iv'e never been in a N.C.T center before. :( am I missing much?

Nah but if you get to one where you can see everything they do it's interesting to see what they actually do

My usual one is too big to be able to see the ramps, I was in a smaller one recently that had viewing windows the whole length of the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

A few bench seats and a window and a €55 charge for one of the most painful performances in the world.

I'd give it 2/5 just because they know how to make you tense.

............. am I missing much?

Not a whole lot, the first time it's remotely interesting, I do mean remotely though :)
    It's sometimes satisfying to have the fail sheet agree with what you thought was wrong with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

CianRyan wrote: »
    A few bench seats and a window and a €55 charge for one of the most painful performances in the world.

And a serious stench of Body Odour.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah the OH had a heart attack at the end of his, as they were inspecting his tyres and he decided there was something wrong with the suspension :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Nah not really, interesting hearing some of the other people getting their cars tested too what they have to say

Stheno wrote: »
    Nah but if you get to one where you can see everything they do it's interesting to see what they actually do

My usual one is too big to be able to see the ramps, I was in a smaller one recently that had viewing windows the whole length of the centre.

Not a whole lot, the first time it's remotely interesting, I do mean remotely though :)
    It's sometimes satisfying to have the fail sheet agree with what you thought was wrong with the car.
    dgt wrote: »
    Nah not really, interesting hearing some of the other people getting their cars tested too what they have to say

Ah right, not missing much so. :D Where do you go when you arrive with the car that has to be tested? is there an office or reception joined onto it?

Ah right, not missing much so. :D Where do you go when you arrive with the car that has to be tested? is there an office or reception joined onto it?

Usually you pootle into reception, pay your fee and there is a waiting/viewing area.

Last one I had, I think the guy had seen my car, decided there weren't too many of them, as he was hanging around, and as soon as I gave my reg, he asked the receptionist for the keys :D

MugMugs wrote: »
    And a serious stench of Body Odour.....

Oh that made me LOL! :p

I don't want to experience that! :pac:

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    ............. and as soon as I gave my reg, he asked the receptionist for the keys :D

He was probably needing a fail for the daily target :D

He was probably needing a fail for the daily target :D

I'm hurt now :(

/cries :(

It was at 8:30 in the morning, I'll stick with my previous thoughts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

From a ka to a TT. The hairdressing buisness must be going well...;)

Next he'll have a S2k :pac:
    pred racer wrote: »
    Anyone care to enlighten me, what exactly are coilovers?
    And how do they differ from normal shocks/springs?

Not taking the piss btw, genuinely curious

Late to the party here, but that's what happens when you go away for two hours :pac:

Coilovers are basically a self-contained all in one shock&spring combo, rather than being separate parts. They're also usually much more adjustable, in terms of camber/castor, ride height, etc, which means the suspension can be set up properly for either best ride comfort, or best handling. Usually with one there's sacrifice to the other. Most of the time they're a fair amount stiffer (and therefore less comfortable) than a shock/spring combo, particularly standard ones. And you can lower a car much more with coilovers, without hitting issues.
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Well it seems that not only has somebody been messing with my KA they have bent one wiper and kicked off a wing mirror. They did the same to my brother VZR that he is trying to sell. Why the f*ck cant people love other people`s cars alone. I live in a nice estate and some asshat obviously takes issue with my leaving my car there.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Cúnts.

Out of curiosity, how much is the VZR up for? They must be selling for pennies these days.
    But, would the car be tested with lowering spring or does it have to have the standard spring on?

Yet again, RJ is right...
    Yep, the floor is dug out iirc

If the car was very low though you'd encounter difficulty with the brake test as there's a drop for that as the wheels slip into the roller yokes :)

Lowered cars aren't a problem for NCT, unless they're excessively low. If they physically can't get into any part of the test area (like the rollers for brake test) without bottoming out / parts of the car touching the ground, then they won't be tested and it's an automatic fail.

Also it's worth noting that the car will dip during a brake test too, so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

LIGHTNING wrote: »

The keep lifting up the wipers on the front, seriously considering hooking a battery up to the wiper arm. Wont be so funny then
    Feckers, that's just vandalism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Standing right there in a DOE centre while some mullah revs your diesel engine like a hot rod. Painful to watch is right. :mad:

Standing right there in a DOE centre while some mullah revs your diesel engine like a hot rod. Painful to watch is right. :mad:

Oh dear, what do you drive? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Oh dear, what do you drive? :)

Trying to find out if they still do this. I heard they stopped doing it:confused: because a few engines went bust.

I drive a feckin builder van. A vw transporter. Used to have a car but went back to college and could only keep one or the other. I still need it for a bit of work here and there. It idle's at 760rpm. Anything over 1100 at idle and sounds like it gonna throw it's toys out of the pram!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

We tweaked the fuel pump of our defender before the doe so they couldn't rev the nuts off of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That and threw a drop of petrol in for good measure. All good for the DOE.

That and threw a drop of petrol in for good measure. All good for the DOE.

That bit of petrol helps clean out the engine doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

BX 19 wrote: »
    We tweaked the fuel pump of our defender before the doe so they couldn't rev the nuts off of it.

That reminds me, the Daily has its DOE tomorrow.... Must do something with the mixture screw later :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Just trying to sort out tyres. The alloy I bust is fixed but the tyre (NS2) was shot too..

At the moment the car has:

FL: Space Saver FR: 215/45/17 Nankang NS2
    BL: New 215/45/17 NS2 BR: New 215/45/17 Minerva F105

The NS2 on the front is probably half worn, but it also has a chunk of rubber out of the sidewall. Does that look safe?

I'm thinking maybe I should just leave the back and get a set of part worns for the front? I don't really like having random mismatched tyres like that though and can't find any reviews for Minerva so have to assume the worst. Then to complicate things I was also thinking about winter tyres! But I was going to get another set of rims for those.... what to do!?

Also, am I okay to drive on the space saver? I have been avoiding it for the last few days but will probably need to visit a tyre place or two today.

Redisle wrote: »
    Just trying to sort out tyres. The alloy I bust is fixed but the tyre (NS2) was shot too..

At the moment the car has:

FL: Space Saver FR: 215/45/17 Nankang NS2
    BL: New 215/45/17 NS2 BR: New 215/45/17 Minerva F105

The NS2 on the front is probably half worn, but it also has a chunk of rubber out of the sidewall. Does that look safe?

I'm thinking maybe I should just leave the back and get a set of part worns for the front? I don't really like having random mismatched tyres like that though and can't find any reviews for Minerva so have to assume the worst. Then to complicate things I was also thinking about winter tyres! But I was going to get another set of rims for those.... what to do!?

Also, am I okay to drive on the space saver? I have been avoiding it for the last few days but will probably need to visit a tyre place or two today.

Its missing a chunk of runner out of the side wall? :eek: :eek: Personly I wouldn't drive with that, it doesn't sound safe at all..

I presume the spacesaver has 80km/h on it? to indicate that is the highest speed that your're supposed to drive at when you have the space saver on the car.

I personally would try not to drive on it too much, as I've only ever seen the spacesaver as a last resort, to either get you home or to the closes garage, once the normal wheel goes flat. (But I'm open to correction on this.)

Its missing a chunk of runner out of the side wall? :eek: :eek: Personly I wouldn't drive with that, it doesn't sound safe at all..

I presume the spacesaver has 80km/h on it? to indicate that is the highest speed that your're supposed to drive at when you have the space saver on the car.

I personally would try not to drive on it too much, as I've only ever seen the spacesaver as a last resort, to either get you home or to the closes garage, once the normal wheel goes flat. (But I'm open to correction on this.)

Yeah the car passed the NCT with that tyre and all! It does look like it's mostly the rim protector bit is damaged but still!

The spacesaver does indeed have 80km/hr on there. I only drove it home after the puncture and it hasn't moved since. I do need to collect the alloy & get tyres though but all within 10km.

Yeah the car passed the NCT with that tyre and all! It does look like it's mostly the rim protector bit is damaged but still!

The spacesaver does indeed have 80km/hr on there. I only drove it home after the puncture and it hasn't moved since. I do need to collect the alloy & get tyres though but all within 10km.

Ya, With this, I say it's better to be save then sorry.

Hmm, that's what six miles? what kind of road is it?

Ya, With this, I say it's better to be save then sorry.

Hmm, that's what six miles? what kind of road is it?

Mixed backroad + City.

Mixed backroad + City.

If I were you, Id chance it. I would try my best not to go over 70km/h though, just to be safe. Also what condition is the spacesaver in?

If I were you, Id chance it. I would try my best not to go over 70km/h though, just to be safe. Also what condition is the spacesaver in?

I probably will. It doesn't look like it was used before tbh.

I probably will. It doesn't look like it was used before tbh.

Should be safe, take it very handy though!

• Advertisement

Got a quote over the phone for 90 fitted for two part worn Pirelli's with MY2009 but looks like they get very bad reviews on tyrereviews.co.uk! Are they that bad I wonder?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement