Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

BX 19 wrote: »
    We tweaked the fuel pump of our defender before the doe so they couldn't rev the nuts off of it.

From the DOE manual:
    If the fuel pump seal is missing and the maximum rpm achievable is less than 90% of the manufacturer’s stated
    maximum rpm with the vehicle stationary, it may be the case that the fuel pump has been adjusted to pass the test
    and the vehicle should be failed on this test.

Mine is a TDI. What are you adjusting. The throttle cable?

NCT manual
    http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/NCT%20Manual%20Revise%20May%202012.pdf

DOE/CVT manual
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle%20Testing/LGV%20Manual%2029.02.2012.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Redisle wrote: »
    Got a quote over the phone for 90 fitted for two part worn Pirelli's with MY2009 but looks like they get very bad reviews on tyrereviews.co.uk! Are they that bad I wonder?!
    What pirellis? Had P3000 (budget tyre) on a car - noisiest things ever. But grip/wear seemed ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I'm not sure, Forgot to ask for the model. Pretty much all the reviews of Pirellis are pretty bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

From the DOE manual:
    If the fuel pump seal is missing and the maximum rpm achievable is less than 90% of the manufacturer’s stated
    maximum rpm with the vehicle stationary, it may be the case that the fuel pump has been adjusted to pass the test
    and the vehicle should be failed on this test.

Mine is a TDI. What are you adjusting. The throttle cable?

NCT manual
    http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/NCT%20Manual%20Revise%20May%202012.pdf

DOE/CVT manual
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle%20Testing/LGV%20Manual%2029.02.2012.pdf

They is no rev counter in a Defender and they are fecking loud so I'm not sure they would know. You talking about a VW TDI? If not on the Landy 200tdi you can fiddle around with the max fuel adjustment on the back of the fuel pump. The same with the 300tdi (except the ECU ones with the fly by wire throttle)

They is no rev counter in a Defender and they are fecking loud so I'm not sure they would know. You talking about a VW TDI? If not on the Landy 200tdi you can fiddle around with the max fuel adjustment on the back of the fuel pump. The same with the 300tdi (except the ECU ones with the fly by wire throttle)

Ye vw TDI fly-by-wire. Could put it through in limp-mode...

• Advertisement

Ye vw TDI fly-by-wire. Could put it through in limp-mode...

I wouldn't know enough about them to be honest! I could imagine anything in limp mode would fail though...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

May, Bought the glanza. fresh, unabused, straight, original. so hard to find.

September - goes to college

First day down there someone reverses into my unattended car, parked well out of the way, hundreds of euros of damage done to the front end. Again, October, someone reverses into my unattended parked car, rear bumper this time had to be resprayed.

I am so fussy, very particular about my bodywork, loved this glanza because all its panelwork was original and straight.

Drove 120km's early yesterday morning on damp and frosty roads, got the car filthy, literally brown with road grit, the number plate on the front was unreadable with dirt. **** it i said i have to get all that salt and grit off of the car its not good for it, took it to a topaz jet wash hand wash and was very very careful. DEEP GOUGES EVERYWHERE!!!

why me :( why why me, trying to do good and just done bad. 3 times in the space of 6 months my car will see paint, the poor thing. i've actually fallen out of love with it.

First day down there someone reverses into my unattended car, parked well out of the way, hundreds of euros of damage done to the front end. Again, October, someone reverses into my unattended parked car, rear bumper this time had to be resprayed.

I am so fussy, very particular about my bodywork, loved this glanza because all its panelwork was original and straight.

Drove 120km's early yesterday morning on damp and frosty roads, got the car filthy, literally brown with road grit, the number plate on the front was unreadable with dirt. **** it i said i have to get all that salt and grit off of the car its not good for it, took it to a topaz jet wash hand wash and was very very careful. DEEP GOUGES EVERYWHERE!!!

why me :( why why me, trying to do good and just done bad. 3 times in the space of 6 months my car will see paint, the poor thing. i've actually fallen out of love with it.

Thats the problem with buying a nice car. It's only going to get wrecked :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Yeah.... that's why the washing machines can be better, or just being gentle with a sponge.

Jetwash tends to drive the grit into the paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

W0Ajr.jpg?1
    Well that explains the cold weather inside my car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Dartz wrote: »
    Jetwash tends to drive the grit into the paint.

:rolleyes:

Well that explains the cold weather inside my car.

Heater core valve?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

ahhhh i feel so horrible !

gotta absolutely slashed last night, boss throwing free drinks into us all night, in dicies having mighty craic, ended up back in the hotel with one of the girls i work with and we did some deeds....... she cant speak a word of English :o

felt the pain this morning , woke up for no reason at 7am so went and had the breakfast, woman in the restaurant was a legend and was messing with me. went back to bed, was woken at 12:30 by the maid wanting to clean the room, checked out,

went across the road to the store to get more rest, find my manager fecking dying, he walked home drunk at 5am and home at 6 and started at 10... nearly vomited in front of a customer too.. we both ended up sleeping in the office for 2 hours,

i then went off and tried to drink coffee, not a great feeling.

but still fecking great oul night so it was :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Heater core valve?
    Thermostat. It was jammed closed so there was no circulation of coolant. Result no heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

:rolleyes:

There's a reason I don't use the things. I've done the same thing to my own car. And being black, it showed....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Dartz wrote: »
    There's a reason I don't use the things. I've done the same thing to my own car. And being black, it showed....

Sounds like you got too close and personal with it...

This is where Snow Foam is the absolute winner. I just washed my car yesterday due to it being practically white all up the back of it due to the grit from the roads. One layer of Snow Foam applied and it lifted most of the dist right off it, one gentle microfibre handwash later and it was all shiny again. :D

wish i just left it so now, a day or two under a film of grit and salt would probably have been less harmful after all :(

wish i just left it so now, a day or two under a film of grit and salt would probably have been less harmful after all :(

You weren't to know that was going to happen Andy. Just put it down to experience.

You weren't to know that was going to happen Andy. Just put it down to experience.

you of all people would die if you seen it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I have a Kestrel polisher you're welcome to use to see if it makes any difference?

• Advertisement

I have a Kestrel polisher you're welcome to use to see if it makes any difference?

certaily appreciate the offer, i'm not bad with a polisher but i think this is past something that can be recovered D.I.Y. unfortunately. but thanks :)

its getting a little dark but i'l try take a few photos with the flash later

you of all people would die if you seen it :pac:

Pics or GTFO!

From what he said in his description, I doubt the D/A would have any benefit at all.

Pics or GTFO!

From what he said in his description, I doubt the D/A would have any benefit at all.

i'l take a few pics shortly to give yous a look.

to be honest, its not so much heavy swirling. its more like where the hose line must have banged off the side of the car once with some grit on it. its just 5 or 6 deep deep scratches on the rear quarter. you can feel the depth of them if you flick your nail across them. they aren't down to the bare metal but they are white so possibly down to the undercoat, i'm really not sure. just i have read threads before where miracles have happened with a professional and a polisher.naturally i'd get the whole car done if i found somewhere.

i - was - so - careful :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

i'l take a few pics shortly to give yous a look.

to be honest, its not so much heavy swirling. its more like where the hose line must have banged off the side of the car once with some grit on it. its just 5 or 6 deep deep scratches on the rear quarter. you can feel the depth of them if you flick your nail across them. they aren't down to the bare metal but they are white so possibly down to the undercoat, i'm really not sure. just i have read threads before where miracles have happened with a professional and a polisher.naturally i'd get the whole car done if i found somewhere.

i - was - so - careful :rolleyes:

Don't pull the hose when it catches :(

Sucks, i hate finding new little marks too, drives me apesh**e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Just leaving this here for Test Transmission

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=26811

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Seriously unlucky there lad :( do you have your own paint setup? I.e a compressor and hvlp gun?

I've decided to skip the seasonal wash after seeing how dirty the roads have gotten again. Plus the back has gone very black :pac:

dgt wrote: »
    Seriously unlucky there lad :( do you have your own paint setup? I.e a compressor and hvlp gun?

I've decided to skip the seasonal wash after seeing how dirty the roads have gotten again. Plus the back has gone very black :pac:

My car hasn't been washed since after August at electric picnic where it got covered in dust, the rain does a great job.

The advantages of driving a low value shed of a car. I don't really have to give a damn about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

My car hasn't been washed since after August at electric picnic where it got covered in dust, the rain does a great job.

The advantages of driving a low value shed of a car. I don't really have to give a damn about it.

+1

Especially with the barge I drive! It's cheap motoring in comfort :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Some "beading" from lastnight...

3URry.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I am very much a fan of these frozen beads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement