Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am surprised they are closed that long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

This day gets funnier and funnier

To the person who just drove past my house in a grey Mini convertible with the roof down, I salute you and I think you need your head checked :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I am surprised they are closed that long.

Closed it appears from the 22nd to the 2nd

The only way to find this information is to click on individual opening times for each flipping centre!

I thought I was going nuts, as I couldn't get an appointment in about 15 different centres, and ended up ringing them.

No general announcement on their site at all that I can see

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Looks lovely, enjoy it and good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

That's nice, now will you post the picture of your new TT?.....Including the custard... *waits*

• Advertisement

That's nice, now will you post the picture of your new TT?.....Including the custard... *waits*
    Ha! I just had a thought.

Take car for test drive.
    Park up in housing estate.
    Photograph with said tin of custard.
    Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I want a TT but would need tints all round whilst wearing a balaclava and sun glasses :o.

Stheno wrote: »
    Ha! I just had a thought.

Take car for test drive.
    Park up in housing estate.
    Photograph with said tin of custard.
    Post.

Yup, But it must be birds custard, I cant stress it enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Chilli day outside this morning!

Bi1K5.jpg

Well wear, looking forward to having a snoop around at the next meet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

RoverJames wrote: »
    A checkpoint outside of Dublin :eek:
    Surely not.

Maybe it was only D reg's He was pulling in :D

• Advertisement

pred racer wrote: »
    Maybe it was only D reg's He was pulling in :D

Have neither of you ever driven through Portlaoise?

I lived there for years, at least twice a week I came across a checkpoint at all hours of the day and night, and there were fairly regular checkpoints with the cops and armed soldiers every month or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well wear Lightning, I think they look great, and at least there's another silver car driver on here:D:D

.......bla bla bla bla...

Stheno, don't be daft, it's FACT that there are only checkpoints in Dublin, motor tax is a Dublin tax :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Well wear Lightning, I think they look great, and at least there's another silver car driver on here:D:D

We should start a private forum. :pac:

Just got my full test date, a whopping 13/14 weeks waiting list. My jaysus.
    31st of January, bring it on! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

OSI wrote: »
    I remember booking my driving test knowing there was a big wait, so said I'd organise lessons once I got a date. Got the date and pretty much forgot about it next day. Queue day of test when my phone alarm goes off to say my test is that day. Not having any lessons I thought I was guaranteed to fail, but decided to do it for the experience. I passed. Was a pretty shocking indication of how poor the Irish driving test was.

The first time I got into the school car, I was told to apply for the test :p

I remember booking my driving test knowing there was a big wait, so said I'd organise lessons once I got a date. Got the date and pretty much forgot about it next day. Queue day of test when my phone alarm goes off to say my test is that day. Not having any lessons I thought I was guaranteed to fail, but decided to do it for the experience. I passed. Was a pretty shocking indication of how poor the Irish driving test was.

Hahaha, jesus. Well Tallaght's got one of the highest fail rates so I may not be so lucky.
    I've two lessons booked as a refresher, just have to set the dates for them now. I'm thinking I should be alright, I need to stop resting my hand on the gear stick and start breaking in third>clutch in>hand brake up>into neutral.
    Bad habits and all that.
    dgt wrote: »
    The first time I got into the school car, I was told to apply for the test :p

You and every other van driver in Ireland. :pac:

To be fair, I don't think my tester gave a fook. He got in the car and refused to put on his seatbelt despite me asking thinking he was trying to catch me out.

:confused:
    I want that one.

To make this harder on me, if I fail I'll be the first sibling not to get the test first time.
    My 30 YO sister hasn't applied for her test yet so at least I'm ahead of her. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Chilli day outside this morning!
    Well wear dude.

I've a sneaky suspicion I know that car though. What county did you get her?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Have neither of you ever driven through Portlaoise?

I lived there for years, at least twice a week I came across a checkpoint at all hours of the day and night, and there were fairly regular checkpoints with the cops and armed soldiers every month or so!

I am in Portlaoise alot that **** I marriedthe ex lives near so Im in there with my kids, I havent seen a checkpoint n the last couple of years
    Dont encourage people, they'll think its allright to buy the non colour:D
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Stheno, don't be daft, it's FACT that there are only checkpoints in Dublin, motor tax is a Dublin tax :D

In fairness RJ (and I know this is a bit of a bugbear for you) checkpoints down the country have pretty much dissapeared in the last few years, I dont know why. A few years ago if I didnt have tax I would have been afraid to drive anywhere for the first week of the month. Whereas thats the first checkpoint ive seen since january.

On a different note I had that **** I married the ex on to me a couple of weeks ago whinging that she was broke and couldnt buy prezzies for xmas, so I gave her 500 quid (on top of the maintenance I always pay) then this weekend she turns up in a new (to her) jeep, which cost a damn sight more than my car (which I got dogs abuse for buying I might add)
    So angry right now:mad:

Covering mostly North East and North and West Dublin, I've encountered more checkpoints outside of Dublin.

One should also remember that Gardai now use ANPR.... Exclusive of Drink/Drugs this should generally eradicate the need for checkpoints. One should finally note that Gardai numbers are well down and that resources are depleting quickly with ageing vehicles etc.....

• Advertisement

pred racer wrote: »
    I am in Portlaoise alot that **** I marriedthe ex lives near so Im in there with my kids, I havent seen a checkpoint n the last couple of years

It's a few years since I lived there so could have changed, used to be seriously regular occurences.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Covering mostly North East and North and West Dublin, I've encountered more checkpoints outside of Dublin.

One should also remember that Gardai now use ANPR.... Exclusive of Drink/Drugs this should generally eradicate the need for checkpoints. One should finally note that Gardai numbers are well down and that resources are depleting quickly with ageing vehicles etc.....

And you've the go safe vans as well.

When they released the drink driving figures last week they said they are actually ahead of their mandatory target for checkpoints.

We do get regular drink driving and tax/insurance checkpoints around here

I came across a mad checkpoint last year outside Guinness, nowhere to run!

Came across two in Cork since August

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

The mother just ordered one of these earlier today:D

ceed-SW.jpg

Same colour as the pic and in 1.6 daysul form. Should be here in the first week in January.

Not very exciting I know! But the last time the family had a brand new car was in 2001(not counting company cars).

They're a fine looking motor.

My Dad ordered a new Sportage for the 2nd Jan.... Looking forward to a wee spin in it. Seriously impressed with Kia lately.

CianRyan wrote: »
    We should start a private forum. :pac:

Just got my full test date, a whopping 13/14 weeks waiting list. My jaysus.
    31st of January, bring it on! :cool:

Well I wish you luck, Iv'e been meaning to book my own there the last week. But I get goosebumps even thinking about it.

@mugmugs - I like your avatar, it makes me laugh. :)

Well I wish you luck, Iv'e been meaning to book my own there the last week. But I get goosebumps even thinking about it.

Nothing to give you a burst of adrenaline to improve than an impending test date!

@ Dad_Z that's a lovely looking car, I hope your Mum enjoys it!

Nothing to give you a burst of adrenaline to improve than an impending test date!

@ Dad_Z that's a lovely looking car, I hope your Mum enjoys it!

Ya, I see. I'm going to go back to the driving lessons soon after xmas/ early jan, so I will go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

MugMugs wrote: »
    They're a fine looking motor.

My Dad ordered a new Sportage for the 2nd Jan.... Looking forward to a wee spin in it. Seriously impressed with Kia lately.

They really have come a long way. When she started looking at cars we looked at a VW Jetta, a Prius and a Merc B class (actually much better looking than the old model but i'm still not a fan). The Kia cost about 10 grand less than the same spec as some of the other. it's much quieter and refined than the others which is important to her as she does a fair few long motorway trips. Also the ride quality is way better. Not to mention that when the warranty on the others runs out there is still another 4 years or 50,000Km left on the Kia warranty.
    A no brainer really.

Yeah, he was a die hard Opel after the Cortina died.... moved from them around 95ish and onto Toyota like a typical Irishman really.

When I initially suggested Kia he laughed in my face. Sent him up to the garage a few weeks ago and on to Hyundai. He went around a few others and came back with the Kia.

Amazing how the brand snobbery can be wiped away :)

• Advertisement

Well you'll have a few months to practice if you book it now.
    If you have the money, just go and do it!
    Otherwise you'll be like me and put it off for months. :p

Good luck to you too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement