Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

dgt wrote: »
    And that's how my childhood ended, seriously! :(:p

Great minds, eh? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Really fighting the urge to put the credit card away now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Really fighting the urge to put the credit card away now. :D

DO IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Just got my car insurance renewal, €90 less than last year!

Thanks girls, keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

you damn rich parent children! :D

this was the biggest one i owned. the sad thing is i was 5 when i got it. so its was 1991. this model is from 1986!!! thats how crapy my country is/was. :p

f20110501132049-lego-8853.jpg
    fook! I had that one too, round the same time hahaha. rubber bands on pulleys, and rack and pinion steering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

langdang wrote: »
    fook! I had that one too, round the same time hahaha. rubber bands on pulleys, and rack and pinion steering.

Grrrr came back to a 5 inch scratch on the bonnet.... CNUT!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Grrrr came back to a 5 inch scratch on the bonnet.... CNUT!

1231378646043.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

1231378646043.gif

That is how I felt ...only plus is its looks like it wasn't deliberate ...one of my many cyclist friends judging by the marks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

That is how I felt ...only plus is its looks like it wasn't deliberate ...one of my many cyclist friends judging by the marks :(

Sorry to hear that dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

dunno m8. 83£ looks very cheap for amount of fun it can give. i am a gamer and i used to pay 50-60eu per brand new game and sometimes i would not even play 10 hours damn things. i could easily buy 2-3 per week.

and i will just leave this here too:

You sir are a grade A b*stard!!!!

Just watched that video thinking "my life is now complete. that is the single best thing I have ever seen and I will own one." and as I watched the video it kept getting better and better and then at the very end......

"this is not a lego kit"
    ffffffffuuuuuuu.jpg?w=512&h=40

• Advertisement

Ded_Zebra wrote: »

You sir are a grade A b*stard!!!!

Just watched that video thinking "my life is now complete. that is the single best thing I have ever seen and I will own one." and as I watched the video it kept getting better and better and then at the very end......

"this is not a lego kit"
    ffffffffuuuuuuu.jpg?w=512&h=40
    That thing is just something unreal. I watched that video like 10 times so far. I told some people in games I play that I bought lego for myself this year and they were all like: "are you 12?!". I show them that video and shut them up quite nicely. :D

All I do now is watching all lego videos on YouTube. Stuff they make is unreal. Truck trials. Differentials, gear boxes. Gearing for max torgue or speed. Blueprints, books, mechanics.
    There are different types of motors and databases on how much torgue and speed they all got.
    I know for some people it might look like waste of money and time, but feck it. It's a lot of fun and a very good brain training. Hopefully I will have enough of sets and parts to make my own WRX 4wd red lego monster with no spoiler! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Outside like a muppet (what am I saying like!) trying to find this fault in the power steering system. Surprise surprise, it decided to work perfectly :rolleyes:

Still staying in the yard though

Intermittent tensioner issue?

RoverJames wrote: »
    Intermittent tensioner issue?

Nah not this time. It loosened out on me once and I've kept on top of it ever since with the allen keys :)

I think its a pipe at the back of the engine bay breaking down internally, allowing fluid to pass sometimes, other times it won't. Needs sorting asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Back of the engine bay? :pac:
    better make some extra room for yourself to work in so...

Back of the engine bay? :pac:
    better make some extra room for yourself to work in so...

It being French, room is very tight and may genuinely have to resort to that..... :eek: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It being French, room is very tight and may genuinely have to resort to that..... :eek: :p

I miss my defender. SO SO simple to work on.

280120101206.jpg

Look at the engine bay. Almost everything is assessable even for people with slightly large hands and long limbs. None of this contortionist craic trying to screw out an oil filter. And then slipping and skinning your knuckles for the third time and flinging the oil filter tool across the garden in anger.

And it uses normal tools. Yes, none of these fancy star bolts which you're guaranteed to misplace the single tool you have to fit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Enough room in there for a V8 ;) I always found it handy working on my 1.3 lancer. So much space in the engine bay that could fit a 2.0 with turbo, intercooler etc.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Really? The guys in the garage in Mondello used to curse working on the things. Every small thing used to turn into a major job, that said the parts were very cheap for them.

We had 3 defenders over the last eight years. A TD5 and and two 200tdis

The 200tdi (pictured) is a simple engine. Turbo-Intercooled DI diesel with no fancy ECUs. They were bulletproof, nothing done apart from routine servicing. When we sold them (one in 2005, one in 2011) both of them had over 170,000 miles on them. They were tough simple machines. They were simple to work on too, the timing belt was on the front of the block and was an easy job, even for someone following the haynes manual. Best diesel Land Rover ever build imo. The EURO emissions requirements killed them off.

The TD5 was a later design persisting into the late 2000's. They were not as tolerant of abuse like the 300tdi and the earlier 200tdi was. ECU sensors gave problems, the MAF didn't live awfully long. Earlier engines were fitted with plastic dowels in the engine block which sometimes sheared. They were reliable enough but required a bit more TLC then the earlier engines ever did. That said ours never missed a beat and plenty of other peoples don't give any trouble either.

The vehicle as a whole was more or less bulletproof, parts were cheap (especially from the UK). Rust would kill them if not kept in check though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

All I do now is watching all lego videos on YouTube. Stuff they make is unreal. Truck trials. Differentials, gear boxes.
    Do any of the actual Lego sets have Diffs like that? The weener Lego I had definately didnt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Do any of the actual Lego sets have Diffs like that? The weener Lego I had definately didnt!

My unimog has front, rear and center diffs the same as the ones used in that truck in the video. It has a different one for the center.

BX 19 wrote: »
    I miss my defender. SO SO simple to work on.

280120101206.jpg

Look at the engine bay. Almost everything is assessable even for people with slightly large hands and long limbs. None of this contortionist craic trying to screw out an oil filter. And then slipping and skinning your knuckles for the third time and flinging the oil filter tool across the garden in anger.

And it uses normal tools. Yes, none of these fancy star bolts which you're guaranteed to misplace the single tool you have to fit it.

I know, I have a Series 3 FFR in the garden :) Uses whithworth measurements though :p

The German stuff here have lots of room to work on round the engine bay, Italian stuff is much the same (except the Sei) the 280 has lots of room in the bay for boxes of tools! :eek:

The 406 has really fiddly bits and small spaces to work with. Something is just in the way or just not enough room. Like the front doors for example, on any normal car you have a multi plug, on the 406 you have to unplug everything inside the door then feed the loom through the appeture as you take the door off!!! :mad:

It's not difficult just awkward :(

I know, I have a Series 3 FFR in the garden :) Uses whithworth measurements though :p

The 93 Defender 90 used a mixture of Imperial and Metric measurements. Bit awkward alright. Silly Brits. Almost everything can be tackled with a socket set though. (The diff plug uses a 1/4" countersunk square drive that I just used to shove a allen key in of almost the right side, they were never on too tight)

The 406 has really fiddly bits and small spaces to work with. Something is just in the way or just not enough room. Like the front doors for example, on any normal car you have a multi plug, on the 406 you have to unplug everything inside the door then feed the loom through the appeture as you take the door off!!! :mad:

Some French stuff is indeed awkward. The heater matrix on the Xantia? Forget it. It's like they built a car around the heater matrix.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

all that lego reminded me that one xmas i got this
    lego_technic_silver_champion-400-400.jpg
    spent the whole day putting it together

must have a root someday for her i really hope i stiil have it:)

and on it the engine cover lifted up too, so cool

6941800056_large.jpg

Rich11 wrote: »
    all that lego reminded me that one xmas i got this
    lego_technic_silver_champion-400-400.jpg
    spent the whole day putting it together

must have a root someday for her i really hope i stiil have it:)

and on it the engine cover lifted up too, so cool

6941800056_large.jpg

There is a new one F1 car being released as 2013 model. Looks cool too. Some fancy new suspension too. Push rod something. I know a lot of people lego f1 cars, somehow I was never a fan. Give me a truck, 4x4 or a sports car any day! :D

OSI wrote: »
    That's just because even you have to admit, an F1 car without a wing looks ridiculous.

Aye. The sports car I ordered has the pop up wing. I wil be enough of spoilers for me in this life time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

BX 19 wrote: »

Some French stuff is indeed awkward. The heater matrix on the Xantia? Forget it. It's like they built a car around the heater matrix.

Try replacing the power steering pipe on one :eek:
    Its a full day to get it out (the local tractor garage cut and joined it as a new one was nearly 200 pounds) and another day to get it back in.

pred racer wrote: »
    Try replacing the power steering pipe on one :eek:
    Its a full day to get it out (the local tractor garage cut and joined it as a new one was nearly 200 pounds) and another day to get it back in.

And that seems to be what has gone on the 406, don't think the one off the Xantia fits.

One can only imagine how awkward it must be to work on a 2.1.....! :eek: I could never see the point of the 2.1 tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The temptation to buy Lego is getting too much.....

Any decent bricks and mortar shop in Dublin that sells it? I'd order online only I won't see it on time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I want Lego...but have no money! Argh, damn you all!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement