Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MarkMc wrote: »
    Have one now, they've suspended it though cos I've got no monies for auto top up :(

Can you not pay by direct debit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Stheno wrote: »

Can you not pay by direct debit?

I think so, I must look into that actually. I have €12 on my account but cant use it. Bit of a pain cos I use the east link about 10/12 times a week.

Edit: Nope, easytrip are prepaid only with auto top up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

eFlow postpaid account all the way. Costs €1 a month if you use it or not, but if you use it more than twice in a month you save that Euro anyway. It's a win/win and it means they don't hold a 'float' of your funds to ransom for no reason.

dar83 wrote: »
    eFlow postpaid account all the way. Costs €1 a month if you use it or not, but if you use it more than twice in a month you save that Euro anyway. It's a win/win and it means they don't hold a 'float' of your funds to ransom for no reason.

I really really hate eFlow, I may have to try and get over that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I'm sure some of the other operators have similar options these days as well, they were the only ones that had it when I was looking for a tag. I can't stand the thought of having to have €12/15 minimum in your account before they pull more money from you for no real reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Ah good oul eflow....

Anyone know what happens when you don't pay a toll and the subsequent fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am only ever up in Dublin once in a blue moon so setting up an account is pointless for me.

Ah good oul eflow....

The pass it on to a debt collection agency

Ah good oul eflow....

It goes up to €41 and then €156 when the Kerry mob get their hands on it. They will eventually take you to court.

The pass it on to a debt collection agency
    And if you don't pay then it is court.

• Advertisement

And if you don't pay then it is court.

Thats a long way down the road. Wasn't there an article not so long ago about the amount of people who owe thousands to them

Here was one case http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/news/motorist-wins-17k-toll-fight-2377264.html what an absolute twat

But....it's a civil court so it's about as useful as a 156 that's never had a timing belt.

What happens when you don't show up there?

But....it's a civil court so it's about as useful as a 156 that's never had a timing belt.

What happens when you don't show up there?

The city sheriff is ordered to recover the debts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I am only ever up in Dublin once in a blue moon so setting up an account is pointless for me.

Did you look at the video account? No fees at all but you have to register a card.

The city sheriff is ordered to recover the debts

And if you still refuse?

And if you still refuse?

The city sheriff has the power to seize goods to settle debts afaik

Is there an implied contract with eflow? I.E. if you use the road then you agree to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Come to think of it...

A small motorised shield that folds down to cover the license plates coming up to the bridge....

Be worth its weight in gold, it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

mam was just saying, the logbook for the yaris was posted to shannon (from wicklow) on tuesday lunchtime, we got the new logbook in fridays post :P

3 day turnaround, things must be quiet. i remember having to wait weeks in the past.

In theory yes. In practice the sheriff is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

• Advertisement

And if you still refuse?
    Then you are brought before a court where you can be sent to jail for 3 months.

Then you are brought before a court where you can be sent to jail for 3 months.

Can a civil court issue a custodial sentence?

Can a civil court issue a custodial sentence?
    Yes. For contempt of court.

Yes. For contempt of court.

Anything to back that up? (Just curious)

Enforcement of court orders act 1940 and 2009.

Section 7 (d) of the 2009 act:
    (d) if he or she considers it appropriate, and
    subject to subsection (8), order the
    arrest and imprisonment of the debtor
    for any period not exceeding 3 months
    (which order shall specify the amount
    of the outstanding debt and costs,
    including the costs of that order), and
    the debtor shall be arrested and
    imprisoned accordingly.

........... you can be sent to jail for 3 months.

... and quite likely signed out after a few hours :)

Back to cars....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81100458
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Yep, you'd be very much taking your chances with one 2nd hand as even with full SH they give turbo turbo relatively fresh. The Uncle is on his 2nd and no trouble but that's in new ish cars.

I'd be very slow to advise anyone to buy one.

I know one or two lads in car sales that won't retail anything with the PSA 1.6 unless they have thousands built in for warranty issues and they prefer not to take them in too.

I've mentioned more than once that my uncle drives a 1.6HDi powered C5, was talking to him today, turbo failed last week, 08 car he's had from new, 125k kms and full main dealer service history, €1700 to repair in Citroen main dealer.

Thats what Sean Quinn went to jail for, 3 months for contempt of court in a civil case.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lads, I know most of ye know far too much to have bothered with it, but did anyone ever use the dummies for car mechanics (auto repair and maintenance) book to learn a bit more about mechanics of a car?

Not that I'll be servicing or repairing my car, but more to learn about the physical makeup of the car itself and be able to understand it better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Lads, I know most of ye know far too much to have bothered with it, but did anyone ever use the dummies for car mechanics (auto repair and maintenance) book to learn a bit more about mechanics of a car?

Not that I'll be servicing or repairing my car, but more to learn about the physical makeup of the car itself and be able to understand it better?

The stuff on howstuffworks.com is a great start imo. Spent ages on there a few years ago!

Nice summary of articles here:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

A haynes manual. Your only man.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement