Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

MarkMc wrote: »
    Yeah, they did that for all of them apparently. Feckin missed out on getting one. I voted for a reprint, hope they do it.

Spoilsport..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

OSI wrote: »
    That hover crafting in Athboy is epic. Did it a couple of times, you'll be wanting a nap after though, it's a lot of work!
    I live within earhshot of this place, but have never been! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Spoilsport..

We didn't want him feeling special now, did we? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I live within earhshot of this place, but have never been! :pac:

Next meet at Matt's house:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Hovercraft's are quite boring and you get quickly get bored with the entire concept.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

So, anyone get anything motor related? Got a supercar triple blast over in the UK :) Also got a hovercraft experience in Meath, not the worst 2 vouchers to be getting.

Noice. Gallardo is a very weird thing to drive for the first few minutes if you're not used to flappies. Visibility is fairly poor, the rear windscreen is practically non existent, and it's bloody impossible to keep an eye on the dash when you're driving it - there's far too much to look at. Oh, and reverse is a right cúnt. Button down near your left knee for that.

2010gallardo-interior.jpg

Despite all that, it's the best feeling in the world when you put the shoe in :D
    MarkMc wrote: »
    Yeah, they did that for all of them apparently. Feckin missed out on getting one. I voted for a reprint, hope they do it.

Qwertee give out them with every t-shirt, not just the boards ones :)

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Tell me about it, I was dying to have a go of one but after about 10 minutes I stopped. Its like a very noisy boat that doesn't handle that well.

OMG a motorsport VAG TDI drivers excel at!? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

So, anyone get anything motor related? Got a supercar triple blast over in the UK :) Also got a hovercraft experience in Meath, not the worst 2 vouchers to be getting.

Got these...
    Photo0337.jpg?t=1356553337
    Cool photography Skills.. :D
    Photo0340.jpg?t=1356553353
    Photo0341.jpg?t=1356553364

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's an ideal present BW, did you get 2 socket sets!

I got a chocolate orange :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Oh completely forgot, my parents paid for my NCT work for Christmas. Haha

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

pred racer wrote: »
    I got a chocolate orange :rolleyes:

So did I!

And jewellery

Nothing car related

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Mucho money for me. Now to buy myself a nice Galaxy Note II or SIII.

Stheno wrote: »
    So did I!

And jewellery

Nothing car related

No jewellery!

1 chocolate orange, a grater, a garlic press and an ice cream scoop.
    Thats the full list.

(In fairness I tell my kids that I dont want presents, and my sisters and I buy for all the kids, not each other)

I ordered a set of car mats on the 13th and the knob jockeys didnt post them untill the 20th :mad: so no present for the alfa either.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That's an ideal present BW, did you get 2 socket sets!

Yup, Dargan 1/2mm and just the humble halfords 3/8mm. The Dargan set feels 10 times more sturdy then the halfods one, but the halfords one is under a 1 year guarantee. So I was happy. I have no excuses now to have no updates for the sporting. :D

dgt wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind getting that today with the weather were having at the moment :pac:

Does a full tank of diesel count? :D

Yes, but I'm expecting too see alot more black sut on the 406 soon though. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Saw a UK private plate Range Rover.
    BO55 was the start of it.
    Howya boss! Would suit a west limerick "visitor" fine!

May be a silly question but I'd feel better asking; Do I have to disconnect my battery when changing my fog lamps? (Whole unit, not just the bulb.)
    If in doubt, just disconnect I know but if like to know for sure. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CianRyan wrote: »
    Oh completely forgot, my parents paid for my NCT work for Christmas. Haha

My big present to the Oh was to sort his car for the NCT, and replace his stereo, hoping the motor factors is open tomorrow so that I can get (I think it's called) the iso loom converter to replace it, and then that'll be my first ever post in the "something I did to my car today"

Oh was really happy about it, as our mechanic found a fault with the accelerator which was driving the Oh mad and he fixed it, I've not been driving recently so didn't notice much.
    pred racer wrote: »
    No jewellery!

1 chocolate orange, a grater, a garlic press.

Shame, a bit of bling never goes to waste :D

I wouldn't have minded the latter two to be honest :)
    langdang wrote: »
    Saw a UK private plate Range Rover.
    BO55 was the start of it.
    Howya boss! Would suit a west limerick "visitor" fine!
    Was it near Cork by any change?

Big black beast?

My big present to the Oh was to sort his car for the NCT, and replace his stereo, hoping the motor factors is open tomorrow so that I can get (I think it's called) the iso loom converter to replace it, and then that'll be my first ever post in the "something I did to my car today"

Oh was really happy about it, as our mechanic found a fault with the accelerator which was driving the Oh mad and he fixed it, I've not been driving recently so didn't notice much.

It's a brilliant gift, my car would have been off the road for months otherwise. Not that there were any dangerous faults but I'd rather not get done for no NCT.

Hopefully I'll be doing my first proper HWIDT post tomorrow, spraying my wiper arms is a bit of a cheat. :o

• Advertisement

May be a silly question but I'd feel better asking; Do I have to disconnect my battery when changing my fog lamps? (Whole unit, not just the bulb.)

I'm fairly sure not, why do you need to disconnect the whole unit?

I wouldnt. You only need to disconnect it if there is a danger of shorting the wires (even then Im lax on this, unless its unfused wiring). Presumably your wiring goes into a neat plastic connector, not dangling wires so you should have no danger of shorting.

Nice one to both of you. :)
    Someone smashed one of them and I've been given two brand new ones, trim and all so ill be throwing them both in and keeping the intact one as a spare. :)
    The kit even comes with a light control unit for the stealing wheel. It feels so nice and new but I'll save that 'till I need it.

After this I'd like to try and get a decent cabin light if there are any, the standard one is dim as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Got myself that drive a Porsche 911 in Mondello voucher for myself for Christmas this year. Absolutely chuffed and deadly excited. Think they're 320bhp or something like that.

My Alfa's NCT expires on my birthday in February..hoping to get a similar present to the one Cian got for his Christmas present, although it could get very expensive....cough suspension cough...:pac:

Nice one to both of you. :)
    Someone smashed one of them and I've been given two brand new ones, trim and all so ill be throwing them both in and keeping the intact one as a spare. :)
    The kit even comes with a light control unit for the stealing wheel. It feels so nice and new but I'll save that 'till I need it.

After this I'd like to try and get a decent cabin light if there are any, the standard one is dim as hell.

What do you mean by cabin light Cian?

What do you mean by cabin light Cian?

The overhead light for when the doors are open or when I'm frantically looking for my carpark ticket. :p

166man: I've racked up €272 for repairs. :(
    My parents are fronting me and paying €150 of it, they said I don't have to pay them back 'till after my Paris trip! :D

It's a brilliant gift, my car would have been off the road for months otherwise. Not that there were any dangerous faults but I'd rather not get done for no NCT.

Hopefully I'll be doing my first proper HWIDT post tomorrow, spraying my wiper arms is a bit of a cheat. :o

He's had an awful year as he lost his Mum who he was very close to after a long illness, and it meant it was one small thing he didn't need to worry about. I did the NCT two months in advance of it expiring so he wouldn't have to worry about not being able to drive down to see her. Getting the accelerator found and fixed was a bonus as he was seriously pissed off with his car, and our mechanic said it would have driven him nuts, I've not driven far enough in a few months to have noticed tbh. Best money I ever spent, lovely to see him enjoying his car again.

And thanks to MM I got that Autoglym cleaner and polish, driving home from being at his family for Xmas he commented on how great it was so thanks to MM there. Sometimes it's the small things :)

Over the next few days between the two of us, (mostly me), we'll put in the new radio/cd, really really looking forward to it.
    166man wrote: »
    Got myself that drive a Porsche 911 in Mondello voucher for myself for Christmas this year. Absolutely chuffed and deadly excited. Think they're 320bhp or something like that.

My Alfa's NCT expires on my birthday in February..hoping to get a similar present to the one Cian got for his Christmas present, although it could get very expensive....cough suspension cough...:pac:

Do it now so you get an idea, you'll easily get a booking and can weigh up whether or not it's worth fixing.

Any weird noises when you turn sharply?

The overhead light for when the doors are open or when I'm frantically looking for my carpark ticket. :p

My parents are fronting me and paying €150 of it, they said I don't have to pay them back 'till after my Paris trip! :D

Is it maybe on the way out? I hate interior lights, evil things they are, am thinking of dismantling Oh's dash to replace the light that lights up the radio.

Oh's fix up for the NCT was €120, he got cufflinks and a nice pen to boot as I thought it would be more :) I forgot about the lidl radio I bought lol! Just delighted he was so pleased with the cars performance.

My 156 when it went was looking at over 1k to repair, wasn't worth it at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I can see my NCT bill easily being double that tbh...:D
    Lucky bastid heading to Paris...:p
    Do it now so you get an idea, you'll easily get a booking and can weigh up whether or not it's worth fixing.

Any weird noises when you turn sharply?

Yeah I think I'll be booking soon to get a fail sheet and see what's what. The tracking is definitely off anyway, I know that for sure and there is one bulb gone but it's the suspension that's the expensive part. It squeeks when I head over bumps, the bushings both front and back are near certainly gone, I hope the wishbones don't need replacing though.

All that being said, I'm happy to put €500+ into the car, I have it saved for a while and if it means I get the car back the way it should be than I'm happy out. I couldn't care less if I spend more than it's worth tbh...

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »
    I can see my NCT bill easily being double that tbh...:D
    Lucky bastid heading to Paris...:p

Yeah I think I'll be booking soon to get a fail sheet and see what's what. The tracking is definitely off anyway, I know that for sure and there is one bulb gone but it's the suspension that's the expensive part. It squeeks when I head over bumps, the bushings both front and back are near certainly gone, I hope the wishbones don't need replacing though.

All that being said, I'm happy to put €500+ into the car, I have it saved for a while and if it means I get the car back the way it should be than I'm happy out. I couldn't care less if I spend more than it's worth tbh...

Do you want the good news or the bad news first?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement