Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Ah that's terrible but such is life I guess. I hope the holidays weren't to hard on him not having her around.
    I wish my girlfriend had half the interest in cars you have, if I asked her to help me change a radio she'd kill me. Sure I asked her to pop the fuel cap one day and she looked at me like I had ten heads. Haha

Could be on its way out I guess, I might chance a new bulb before having a look at LEDs. I'm constantly pulling out my phone to see things, it gets old.
    My GF got me a hoody so I had something to open on the day, the little things is right. :)

Oh don't mention the steering! I've a knock when I lock it left, mechanic said its grand for now but to start saving to get it done. Looking at about €250 again. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

How long has that bulb been gone now at this stage???you've mentioned it enough times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Cian you've just reminded me of another set of parts I have to add to my shopping list: top mounts.

Gonna be a long, expensive day today if the scrappies are open.... :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CianRyan wrote: »
    Ah that's terrible but such is life I guess. I hope the holidays weren't to hard on him not having her around.
    I wish my girlfriend had half the interest in cars you have, if I asked her to help me change a radio she'd kill me. Sure I asked her to pop the fuel cap one day and she looked at me like I had ten heads. Haha

He's doing ok, thanks Cian :) We're both now busy making sure his Dad is ok, he's a bit of a loner, he ribbed me today that he got his George Foreman cheaper than I did :D My OH is like you GF. When he last looked for a car, he wanted one, that was big, black, and had a big boot.

And no he didn't get an Octavia.

He literally test drove it after I checked it out, handed over the cash and that was it. Four years later, it's still going strong, about to pass another NCT, and we are saving for something nicer.

He's no interest in cars, but he's good enough to take mine every week along with his, clean out the interiors, get all the rubbish out and put them through a carwash.

Myself and my mechanic have decided that his next car will either be an Accord or possibly a C Class, but most likely an Accord, I reckon he'll love it as does our mechanic, OH has seen loads online, and loves the look of them, but is leaving the rest up to me tbh.

He's fecking great when it comes to trying to figure stuff out though, we'll sit down and go "how do we fix this" and figure it out, he's much more patient than I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

Stheno wrote: »
    Do you want the good news or the bad news first?

give him the bad wishbone neus :pac:

• Advertisement

Greetings of the season to all, I not hold grudge about no one anser my brake friction halford question :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

cabb8ge wrote: »
    give him the bad wishbone neus :pac:

You mean the bad news that if the front bushings are gone the steering rack needs to be either reconditioned or replaced?

Greetings of the season to all, I not hold grudge about no one anser my brake friction halford question :)

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Do you want the good news or the bad news first?

Ah shure g'won hit me with it... What's the news? :(:D

166man wrote: »
    Ah shure g'won hit me with it... What's the news? :(:D

See above post before yours.

• Advertisement

You mean the bad news that if the front bushings are gone the steering rack needs to be either reconditioned or replaced?

How does this occur exactly? :eek:

Well not in all cases is that a must do, but if he escape with only not replacing wishones I be very surprised. Can't see €500 sorting the car unless he do work himself, as bulb abd ignition plugs seems a big projects I cannot imagine him do anything to car. Steering rack I would not concern about 166man, not wanting upset Steno but maybe Steno not correct on this point.

dgt wrote: »
    How does this occur exactly? :eek:

The bushings are not sold seperately from the rack, you can either:

1. Buy a reconditioned rack on ebay (plenty of recommendations)
    2. Have it reconditioned
    3. Replaced it

the first two options cost about €250 the third costs €1000 plus.

It's a serious fault with the car, most cars, the bushings are seperate from the rack, in the 156 they are not.

link?

:confused:

Well not in all cases is that a must do, but if he escape with only not replacing wishones I be very surprised. Can't see €500 sorting the car unless he do work himself, as bulb abd ignition plugs seems a big projects I cannot imagine him do anything to car. Steering rack I would not concern about 166man, not wanting upset Steno but maybe Steno not correct on this point.

How am I wrong on this point? I've had that failure and had to replace the steering rack? Have I just gotten the part name wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Cheers Stheno, that's something I did not know, but now will budget for. This is going to be expensive isn't it...:(

The bushings are not sold seperately from the rack, you can either:
    Are you confuse sterring rack with other part of car by any chance?

166man wrote: »
    Cheers Stheno, that's something I did not know, but now will budget for. This is going to be expensive isn't it...:(

Well depending on that cabbage poster telling me I'm wrong I don't know.

The suspension and bushes are notorious for going, and you can't get the bushes seperate from the steering rack, I'd one that got reconditioned, and when it failed two years later I got my current car.

Send it in for the test and get the results, I nearly had a heart attack as I've only one small thing to deal with on my car after it's last NCT.

OH's car had six faults, heeeheeeeeee :D

How am I wrong on this point? I've had that failure and had to replace the steering rack? Have I just gotten the part name wrong?
    in my view you are mentioning reference to anti roll bar, not steering rack.

I'm pretty sure there is no confusion with Sthenos post

• Advertisement

Not that I'm aware of, I'd a bushes/bushings ( am crap with names) failure on my car, they were not a seperate part sold by alfa, so I had to either replace or recondition my steering rack as they were directly attached to it.

Another alternative was a steering rack from ebay

I'm pretty sure there is no confusion with Sthenos post
    wishbone bushings nothing to do with steering rack, wishbones upper and lower can be altogehter replaced leaving steering rack the same.
    perhaps your problem was bushings on steering rack? not wishbone bushing? Most Alfa squek and knock for suspension bushings not steering rack bushings, play on steering rqck not as often as wishbone bushing knock knock.

wishbone bushings nothing to do with steering rack, wishbones upper and lower can be altogehter replaced leaving steering rack the same.

There are bushings on the STEERING RACK that can't be replaced seperately according to Sthenos post. Nothing to do with wishbone bushings

There are bushings on the STEERING RACK that can't be replaced seperately according to Sthenos post. Nothing to do with wishbone bushings

no need to use the big writing, front bushings mostly refer to wishbone bushings.

perhaps your problem was bushings on steering rack? not wishbone bushing? Most Alfa squek and knock for suspension bushings not steering rack bushings, play on steering rqck not as often as wishbone bushing knock knock.

Yeah completely seperate.

You've upper and lower wishbones on the alfa 156 suspension that can be replaced independant of the steering rack, then you've got the bushings on the steering rack which are usually seperate from the rack but in the case of the 156 are a part of the rack so you can't replace them seperately.

no need to use the big writing, front bushings mostly refer to wishbone bushings.

There would be no need for big writing if the previous posts were read correctly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

LOUD NOISES

:pac:

Well when 166man tell us in Feb that he not need any work on steering rack we will see about correct posts

• Advertisement

Eh with an alfa, you talk about the upper and lower wishbones, and the bushings/bushes (as I call them) seperately

Makes a bit of a difference when you've a car where the bushings are part of the rack, and the wishbones can be replaced?

I'm replacing a ball joint this week on my car, any idea how many on each side and if any are attached permanently to the rest of the suspension?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement