Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

cabb8ge wrote: »
    Well when 166man tell us in Feb that he not need any work on steering rack we will see about correct posts

That's it, turn being told you are wrong into having a pop at someone else, when the whole conversation started out in a friendly manner asking 166man if he knew how nasty his NCT might be in cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

Stheno wrote: »
    Eh with an alfa, you talk about the upper and lower wishbones, and the bushings/bushes (as I call them) seperately

Makes a bit of a difference when you've a car where the bushings are part of the rack, and the wishbones can be replaced?

but you seem to forget the bushings 166man speak of are most likely wishbone bushings that can be replaced but often times wishbones are replaced with them, bushings can be got without the wishbones

http://www.alfastumper.com/product_info.php?cPath=270_1_87_165&products_id=322

i think it not nice to have someoone worry without need about steering rack replacement

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

but you seem to forget the bushings 166man speak of are most likely wishbone bushings that can be replaced but often times wishbones are replaced with them, bushings can be got without the wishbones

But he never did, I referred to the fact he thinks he has suspension issues, and asked if wanted the good or bad news? Then I related my personal experience of posts on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If one set of bushings are worn, it's pretty likely another set are if they haven't been previously replaced. And the worn ones will put more stress on the others.

If one set of bushings are worn, it's pretty likely another set are if they haven't been previously replaced. And the worn ones will put more stress on the others.

Strangely CM on my 156, I replaced one wishbone on the nearside, but had to replace bushes on both sides both when I had my steering rack reconditioned and when it failed completely.

All four wishbones were fine.

• Advertisement

the link for total set, up and lower, left and right.

the link for total set, up and lower, left and right.

Upper and lower wishbones on a 156 are completely seperate from the bushes that are part of the steering rack

You don't seem to be getting that?

Strangely CM on my 156, I replaced one wishbone on the nearside, but had to replace bushes on both sides both when I had my steering rack reconditioned and when it failed completely.

All four wishbones were fine.

Nearside takes more of a pounding, it's always close to the ditch, more potholes, rougher surface. It's easier for the wishbone to get screwed on the nearside.

Upper and lower wishbones on a 156 are completely seperate from the bushes that are part of the steering rack

You don't seem to be getting that?

I get it totally but you seem defintite that 166man needs steering rack becaause yours did.

166man mention suspension bushings, you talk about steering rack bushings.

easy fix, time will tell

I get it totally but you seem defintite that 166man needs steering rack becaause yours did.

166man mention suspension bushings, you talk about steering rack bushings.

easy fix, time will tell

Eh I didn't I asked him did he want the good news or the bad news, and the bad news was a steering rack replacement.

Have you considered comprehension lessons? Read back through my posts!

• Advertisement

Nearside takes more of a pounding, it's always close to the ditch, more potholes, rougher surface. It's easier for the wishbone to get screwed on the nearside.

First time i hit the ABS warning light was shortly after I hopped the bejaysus out of the car in a pothole on the passenger side :)

and if it is steering the tie rod ends are availabnle from other suppliers, Alfa say all rack required as no tie rod ends seperate fromt them.

Have you considered comprehension lessons? Read back through my posts!

:(

i comprehend well, thank you.

work mates use sentance like, "small knowledge a dangerous item"

what the good news so?

and if it is steering the tie rod ends are availabnle from other suppliers, Alfa say all rack required as no tie rod ends seperate fromt them.

Why not wait till he has the test.

At least he knows now that if the nct crowd who won't know about suspension bushes (like mine didn't) and tell him it's a small job, that it's not. :)

Suspension issues on an alfa can be a minefield, I get my rear suspension checked every six months as it's a horror if it goes wrong, best to expect the worst and suffer the best :)

166 has an alfa owning family, I'm sure they have a great alfa mechanic who will advise them if it is mechanically unadvisable to keep the car.

I'm one of those people who through love of my car spend far more on it than I should so I'll not comment if his car fails, I just want him to know what the possible consequences might be, having experienced them.

Why not wait till he has the test.................

why you not wait? Steering rack replacment bad news poster :P

i only log on to vote for Subaru red in elections :o

I actually suggested he get a test early so he can get issues fixed in advanced.
    i only log on to vote for Subaru red in elections :o

Enough I'm reporting you as a troll.

I swear, you just reminded me of this and I've spent the last few minutes laughing

tumblr_m2aow2QG6x1qakgigo1_500.jpg

Enough I'm reporting you as a troll.

:confused:

reporting as troll? for voting in elections?

:confused:

reporting as troll? for voting in elections?

No elections here, but you are just not taking in what you are told pal

• Advertisement

No elections here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056837596

I call that election

You follow me to other forum, nutrition, that scare me to truth to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I call that election
    Strange, as in the language we all speak we call that a contest. :p
    An election is a formal decision-making process by which a population chooses an individual to hold public office

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Anyone know where the pressure differential sensor for the dpf is on the 159?
    Mine used to throw the odd error, now its all the time. The regens are still happening ok though, from what I read the problem is normally degraded pipes from the exhaust (due to the heat) .
    Ill replace them.....if I can find them:p
    (i can find where it is on a fiat croma, go figure!)

All help appreciated.

Last chance in 2012 to get the alfa jokes in, bring it on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Heh, I`m having fun with issues on my 156 now. Clutch squeaks due to a bearing in pedal box (have ordered a rubber washer to fix that), there is something oscillating when engine is at 3200rpm (no idea where to begin there) and the driver door plunger is sticking. More interesting than the Corolla at least :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Finally found a chemist open today. Finally have something to deal with this savage cold. Slept 14 hours last night. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Getting used to driving the TT now, clutch has a short action and the gearbox takes a while to warm up. On the plus I do like the turbo noise I no longer have to make "Pew Pew" noises, my car does them for me:pac:
    Did you pick the TT up in Galway by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

LIGHTNING wrote: »

No got her in Dublin just before Christmas.
    Ah right. Thought it was one a mate was shifting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Righteo people....

Anyone got any ideas on how to get the ribs sanded from the lenses and shiny?

Like this (convenient D8 lens :P):
    http://a.d-cd.net/30481fu-960.jpg

Or if the image is to large and my post gets edited...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

pred racer wrote: »
    Anyone know where the pressure differential sensor for the dpf is on the 159?
    Mine used to throw the odd error, now its all the time. The regens are still happening ok though, from what I read the problem is normally degraded pipes from the exhaust (due to the heat) .
    Ill replace them.....if I can find them:p
    (i can find where it is on a fiat croma, go figure!)

All help appreciated.

Last chance in 2012 to get the alfa jokes in, bring it on :D

Ahem:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The Stirling Moss documentary has just started on BBC 2 now. Might be worth a look. Seems alright so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement