Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

CianRyan wrote: »
    Wide arch with a duck tail, oh god yes!

This one by any chance?

It wasn't as shinny as that one or didn't have a body kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

MugMugs wrote: »
    Get a full licence and it'll come down even more ;)

Test's in two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Confab wrote: »
    Test's in two weeks.

Best of luck with it dude. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

OSI wrote: »
    OK, this Gender Equality insurance thing is bollocks.

Insurance on the GTI last year:

Me: 24, Full License, 4 points + GF: 23, Provisional, 0 points + 3 yrs NCB =~ €1,030

Insurance on the GTI this year:

Me: 25, Full License, 4 points + GF: 24, Full License, 0 points + 4 yrs NCB =~ €1,800

:O

Are you ****ing kidding me!?!?!

That's mental!

I'm off now to attempt to install the new radio in OHs car, I have carefully read the manual, checked all the connections, made sure I have the right ISO adapter etc.

Expect me back later with a tale of disaster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

So i had to ring traffic watch today.

Driving out towards the girlfriends house in the country, a road i know well. lots of hills and hollows and ****ty sharp corners, most of the road isn't wide enough for 2 cars to pass without one coming to a halt.

so im pottering along 50 ish km/h along the top of a hill and maybe half a kilometer down the road i can see the roof of a van traveling my way above the ditch. think no more of it. a few seconds later and im turning into a sharp enough left hand corner and just as i turn in, the van comes middle of the road through the corner.

now its a fecking long wheel base van and towing a decent trailer to boot on a tight little country road, he should have been taking it very easy.

im forced to bump my car up onto the ditch hard enough to avoid him (no damage other than caking it in muck and grass thank god), so naturally i've came to a stop, i glance in my rear view and the van driver had stopped too. so i jiggle the car a bit back and forth and get it to reverse out, aiming to reverse up to the van just to "exchange pleasantries", "here g'wan, nobody died so its grand kind of thing".

so as i reverse closer to the van he takes off, so i decided to follow just to get a reg number because you never know. he's towing a trailer with no reg plate on it :rolleyes: so eventually he sees me behind him and pulls in. windows are opened.
    he : "what do you want"
    me : "you nearly ran me off the road, what were you thinking!"
    he : "what are you talking about, you were in the middle of the road"
    me : "are you joking, sure i had to go into the ditch to avoid you"
    he : (and this is where i feel he admitted he was wrong) "sure didn't i miss you in the end, what more do you want?"
    me : "only by the grace of god you missed me"

and i left it at that. noted his reg as i left as i could see between the trailer and his back door then.

so when this happens and i rang traffic watch, what happens? i told them i didnt want to pursue it, just to make it clear what had happened and that the driver was a bit daft.

i just fear now that the other driver, alrready a bit thick and irate if he gets a call from the gardai to say i complained, wont he then blow up and make a bit deal of this and you know how this will go, respectable 40's working man in his working van or 21 year old in a glanza :( wish i just bottled it and said nothing now, used to it at this stage.

tl;dr : met a van coming in the middle of the road through a bad corner. had to clip the ditch and come to a halt to avoid him. van driver plays stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Viel Gluck Shteno! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

/rant

Fair play for having a word with him anyway! A couple of times I've turned around to have words with someone and chickened out :o.

Do you have a dash cam?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Stheno wrote: »
    That's mental!

I'm off now to attempt to install the new radio in OHs car, I have carefully read the manual, checked all the connections, made sure I have the right ISO adapter etc.

Expect me back later with a tale of disaster :D

Waiting:p

i just fear now that the other driver, alrready a bit thick and irate if he gets a call from the gardai to say i complained, wont he then blow up and make a bit deal of this and you know how this will go, respectable 40's working man in his working van or 21 year old in a glanza :( wish i just bottled it and said nothing now, used to it at this stage............

Wouldn't worry dude, for one thing I don't think traffic watch will contact him as you haven't made an actual complaint, if they do I'm sure they're well used to hearing the other side of the story from the rosetinted (lying bastad) side :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Yeah they won't do anything about it unless you're
    willing to make a statement.

Even then it's your word against his so unless you and a number of other people independent of you make statements nothing will come of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

pred racer wrote: »
    Waiting:p

Lol, it got too dark. Rather I am so feeble it took me about five minutes to disconnect the antenna, then I couldn't disconnect the iso connection and it got too dark.

I'll have another go in the morning.

I did manage to put the old connections back in and it's still working:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Anyone have a fuel tank pump to suit an Xantia Hdi they're willing to spare with? *cough* dgt *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

BX 19 wrote: »
    Anyone have a fuel tank pump to suit an Xantia Hdi they're willing to spare with? *cough* dgt *cough*

Turbo-D :(

dgt wrote: »
    Turbo-D :(

Feck. Mine gave up the ghost today. 220 notes new from Citroen. Sadface.

Put new hu in brothers Astra g. 6minute job :D

Feck. Mine gave up the ghost today. 220 notes new from Citroen. Sadface.

Ouchee!

Try one from a HDi 406? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Put new hu in brothers Astra g. 6minute job :D

And you said driving an Astra isn't genetic??? :P

His isn't an Astra in my mind, it's a horrible bucket :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

I wonder what the backstory of this is?
    Modern day barnfind maybe?

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C304463

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

For anybody at a loose end this evening. Wee documentary on Porsche enthusiast. :)

Only 30 mins long and worth a watch :)

http://www.reelhouse.org/mos/urbanoutlaw/urbanoutlaw

• Advertisement

So lads having given my feebleness with the connection on the car radio some thought, I'm wondering is there a trick to taking it out or am I just feeble?

It looks like two connectors, one black and one white (iirc) but from what I can see they are connected, like the converter I got today. Each colour coded piece has a clip that is close to the connector on the side away from the fuse.

Should I be pushing out both clips at the same time and giving it a good yank?

ISO plugs?

I normally use a screwdriver to push the tabs in and save my fingers, some can be very difficult to unclip :)

Pictures are king khed. Is it a standard iso connector?

As an aside, has anyone here driven both the 330 and 325i and comment on the difference in performance? Or a 330d. Thanks

ISO plugs?

I normally use a screwdriver to push the tabs in and save my fingers, some can be very difficult to unclip :)

Yeah :)

These tabs are already pushed in, it looks like I need to push them out, then once out press the other side as it seems to have a release as well, and give it good yank.

I guess after ten years they are a bit stuck.
    I shall find a larger headed screwdriver :)

Ouchee!

Try one from a HDi 406? :)

Hoping they're the same! There is a lot more HDi 406s about than Xantia HDIs (they were only fitted 00-01 when the model stopped production)

Pictures are king khed. Is it a standard iso connector?

Dunno, it's the standard Citroen C5 one :D If I need to I'll take pics tomorrow :)

Don't try to yank them out either or something could break... :(

I normally use a flat bladed screwdriver to pry the plug up a bit as I push the tab in. Then, once it has moved a bit up past it's fixed position it should lift out. Try to lift it out square (not at an angle) :)

Hoping they're the same! There is a lot more HDi 406s about than Xantia HDIs (they were only fitted 00-01 when the model stopped production)

Hopefully they're the same part!

Don't try to yank them out either or something could break... :(

I normally use a flat bladed screwdriver to pry the plug up a bit as I push the tab in. Then, once it has moved a bit up past it's fixed position it should lift out. Try to lift it out square (not at an angle) :)

Ah no I'm not applying every ounce of pressure, I'm pretty much going what you said, trying to get it to move as one unit and not one side first etc :)

I reckon it's a case of just getting it free that first few mm and then it will be fine.

Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4364810

is that a septic looking yoke? can you imagine how **** it would be to own?

my eyes would water handing over 10k for that steaming pile of dung.

fog blanks, hub caps, hard plastic as far as the eye can see.

spec list including "child locks, rear wiper, am/ fm radio" and... control your orgasms... an immobiliser :eek:

what must people be thinking?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement