Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Quick one:

If you had the choice would you buy a highish perfomance car with known reliability issues (say a Saab Aero Hot) or a lower performance car with a good rep for reliability (Mk6 Accord 2L VTEC)?

Given my record with cars, the Accord might be the better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If you're not mechanically minded get the Accord.

Whichever one I preferred tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'd be taking the Hinda.... Mainly because I prefer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The Saab. I've always wanted one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

OSI wrote: »
    3 insurers now have listed my car as a GTI Pirelli Edition....

But your're car isn't yellow for a start! :confused:

EDIT: I Missed my 3,000 post, ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

EDIT: I Missed my 3,000 post, ffs!

Delete a few :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Such a picture to put on a car add.. :pac:

4374465#.jpeg

EDIT: Hmm, won't work! :mad:

I'll just put up the link! It's of someone SMOKING INSIDE THE CAR!. :eek:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4374465

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

No smoke, no poke.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No turbo, no poke in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

how in the name of god did vw sell a n/a diesel in 2004 and more to the point who would buy it:confused::confused:

It must be slower than continental drift.

EDIT: Post 500 :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Currently in West Kerry at the moment since yesterday. Over 300 miles and the 156 has.'t missed a beat. I'm actually chuffed at how well its driving at the moment. Have 6k miles on it since the middle of September
    and since then its had 2 tyres and 2 litres of oil and that's it. Great stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    how in the name of god did vw sell a n/a diesel in 2004 and more to the point who would buy it:confused::confused:

It must be slower than continental drift.

EDIT: Post 500 :D:D

SDI engines. Apparently popular with tight taxi drivers in no hurry to get anywhere.

I'll say one thing. When the wastegate stuck open on my Scenic and it stopped building boost... it got noticeably better fuel economy. It also needed to be strangled like an unwanted to go anywhere....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

A friend of mine used to have an 05 Golf 2.0 SDI, NI import. Did they sell those here?

Recently helped a friend buy a Bora SDI, I thought it was seriously down on power, then realised what I was in... :o

Dartz wrote: »
    I'll say one thing. When the wastegate stuck open on my Scenic and it stopped building boost... it got noticeably better fuel economy. It also needed to be strangled like an unwanted to go anywhere....

Despite my fiddling with the pump and turbo, economy hasn't been effected much for me. Still returns about 45 mpg combined driving! :)

dgt wrote: »
    A friend of mine used to have an 05 Golf 2.0 SDI, NI import. Did they sell those here?

Recently helped a friend buy a Bora SDI, I thought it was seriously down on power, then realised what I was in... :o

I couldn't pay near €700 roadtax for a 68bhp diesel no matter how reliable...

166man wrote: »

The chap in question isn't interested in speed or modifing, more economy. Has kids and a mortgage you see

166man wrote: »

They sold the mk5 sdi in the uk alright, but I'm pretty certain they never sold here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

DGT i'm surprised you fuel economy is still so good, fair play :)

I thought that n/a diesels are less economical than turbo (per bhp output) and thought that being underpowered would make those golfs heavy on fuel in comparison to a TDI (especially as re-maped diesels have more power and better economy) TBH I don't know much about this craic so i'm open to correction :confused::)

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    DGT i'm surprised you fuel economy is still so good, fair play :)

I thought that n/a diesels are less economical than turbo (per bhp output) and thought that being underpowered would make those golfs heavy on fuel in comparison to a TDI (especially as re-maped diesels have more power and better economy) TBH I don't know much about this craic so i'm open to correction :confused::)

I guess it depends on the car and driving style, a lot of the time I do long journeys, town driving and backroads send the mpg down. I must see what it does on a long journey someday soon :)

The non turbo Daily averages 24mpg. As slow as a wet week. The sooner it gets the IDTD the better....

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    The chap in question isn't interested in speed or modifing, more economy. Has kids and a mortgage you see

I wasn't referring to that chap, I'm sure if speed isn't an issue than its perfectly fine,I was just sayi g how I couldn't pay that type of money for the power available.

I know I have seen a few MKV's SDI around Dublin, they could have been imports though.

There's a 98 SDI Golf around Navan, my goodness I think it's louder than the International here :eek:

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

awec wrote: »
    G

Am I the only one who thinks that's a "well... you shouldn't, if you're caught you'll be in bother but you could risk it" type answer? :pac:

Yes

I'm looking at it here with my renewal. I'm also looking at this nice open fire and thinking of throwing the whole lot in....! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I have to say, I really love living so close to the mountains.
    It makes feeding my addiction so much easier.

Pred's brake dilemma posts moved here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Pred's brake dilemma posts moved here

Thanks.
    Probably should have done that myself:o

After tramping around Dublin city again today still yet to see a 131 reg....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

WTH? Can't find a buyer's guide for the Mk6 Accord anywhere online. It's as though they're so reliable they don't need one! Looking for an auto 2L with leather and toys, easy to find a couple but whether they're worth it... well, that'll have to wait.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement