Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I've seen the system before, but its gas that they have it in the ad given how boring they are

That was my first thought too:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That's just what they want you to think :D

Bought another 4books today Shteno....think I have a problem :(

It's ok. When your local charity shop see you coming in with books (like 1/5th of those you want to be rid of) and scowl, you've a problem

I bought 24 before Christmas, I've three left now :(
    pred racer wrote: »
    That was my first thought too:)

Would driving one not just bore you to sleep though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Stheno wrote: »
    It's ok. When your local charity shop see you coming in with books (like 1/5th of those you want to be rid of) and scowl, you've a problem

Any new ww2 ones you'd recommend?
    Bought another 2 on Market Garden, one on battle for Berlin and the last is an ambrose book, citizen soldiers, for the collection.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Any new ww2 ones you'd recommend?
    Bought another 2 on Market Garden, one on battle for Berlin and the last is an ambrose book, citizen soldiers, for the collection.

One on Bletchley park, 2 Ludlums based on WWII, and two others strangely enough based on WWII

I've another on the war in Asia, Road of Bones, about the Brits and Indians fighting the Japs.

/hurriedly back to car matters, my car should be nct ready tomorrow :)

And do any of you read Car magazine?

Would driving one not just bore you to sleep though?

Guys its the 21st century, ebooks ftw (although i will admit I bought the latest jack reacher book in the airport yesterday) I can lend you thousands of books on a usb key, no disposal problems either.

Thats what I meant about the passat, its sorely needed on both it and the avensis to stop their drivers going into a coma!

• Advertisement

Guys and gals its the 21st century, ebooks ftw (although i will admit I bought the latest jack reacher book in the airport yesterday) I can lend you thousands of books on a usb key, no disposal problems either.

FYP :D

I know, I've got a playbook that has a built in reader, I just like my paper books.

I'm just an old fossil, no excuse for Ardennes :D

I spend hours during college each day looking at a computer screen doing programming etc...the last thing I want is to be reading off an e reader in bed. E-ink or not, I still prefer normal books.

One on Bletchley park, 2 Ludlums based on WWII, and two others strangely enough based on WWII

I've another on the war in Asia, Road of Bones, about the Brits and Indians fighting the Japs.

/hurriedly back to car matters, my car should be nct ready tomorrow :)

And do any of you read Car magazine?

The one on bletchly park? Is it good?! I had in my hands loads of times but never bought it :o

I spend hours during college each day looking at a computer screen doing programming etc...the last thing I want is to be reading off an e reader in bed. E-ink or not, I still prefer normal books.

HAH! Another excuse! I work in IT, spend approx. 10 hours a day using various laptops/projectors etc.

FYP :D

I know, I've got a playbook that has a built in reader, I just like my paper books.

I'm just an old fossil, no excuse for Ardennes :D

I was the same until I had to start lugging them to france and back, wouldnt be without my Ipad now.

Ardennes excuse is he's from cork:pac:

• Advertisement

The one on bletchly park? Is it good?! I had in my hands loads of times but never bought it :o

Dunno, it's one of the three, I'll look it up and send you the details, don't be buying it, I'll give it to you when I'm done :)

Unless I love it and you can have it on loan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Still a bit gutted about a sale that fell through today, car was clean as a whistle or so I thought after the test drive and going over it with a comb but a pre-purchase inspection showed she'd been in a smack and a bad enough one to trigger some of the safety stuff so I had to walk :( So who's got an E92 or E46 coupe 2.5-3.0L bimmer for sale with a good spec? The hunt is still on even if I'm not quite in the mood anymore

Dunno, it's one of the three, I'll look it up and send you the details, don't be buying it, I'll give it to you when I'm done :)

Unless I love it and you can have it on loan :)
    Thanks kid, I appreciate that :)

Still a bit gutted about a sale that fell through today, car was clean as a whistle or so I thought after the test drive and going over it with a comb but a pre-purchase inspection showed she'd been in a smack and a bad enough one to trigger some of the safety stuff so I had to walk :( So who's got an E92 or E46 coupe 2.5-3.0L bimmer for sale with a good spec? The hunt is still on even if I'm not quite in the mood anymore
    There's a very nice 04 black 325 for sale in Dublin that's now reduced to 4750 from 5750. It looks very clean. On donedeal I should add

I was the same until I had to start lugging them to france and back, wouldnt be without my Ipad now.

Ardennes excuse is he's from cork:pac:

I got my work to increase my baggage allowance :D

@Alanstrainor.
    I have heard lots about the poor cooling systems in the BMWs, is there anything that can be done to make up for the poor stock system? And what is so poor about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

There's a very nice 04 black 325 for sale in Dublin that's now reduced to 4750 from 5750. It looks very clean. On donedeal I should add

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4294339

That one? Yeah, that's the one I went to buy - avoid it. It drove fine, conzy took a look at it with me. Bonnet paintwork is perfect, as is the front left wing - he admited the wing was replaced when the mechanic asked him about it for me, admitted to me the bumper was sprayed too. The seatbelt pretensioner is gone on the driver's side (you can see in the pics over on BMW-driver.net the difference in stalk lengths for the buckle/holder on the passenger side), airbag faults that wouldn't clear, dash warning light for airbag and some safety switch that's the "last port of call" (i.e. takes a solid smack not a fender bender) has been triggered too. The mechanic suggested it could have been so bad as to pop the wheel, it's even missing clips and other bodywork bits for holding on the passenger brake disc ducting from the m-sport bumper and wing wheel liner.

Motorcheck tells me the guy selling it owns it since November 28th 2012, previous guy had it 9 days. Since March 2012 after 6 years and 2 months of ownership from import it's changed hands 4 times. Service history stops in 2008, though the services where done in Joe Duffy (I checked). VIN matches the spec so it's a real M-sport and it is in NCT too. Lots of alarm bells, even for that price and I was advised to walk away.

I'll keep the eyes peeled, that's the sort of spec I'm after

Thats what I meant about the passat, its sorely needed on both it and the avensis to stop their drivers going into a coma!

You'd want to be paralysed from the ears up to buy an Avensis anyway. State of the things.

Is conzy challengemaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just got a kindle, and the eInk is easier on my eyes than an actual book! Seriously.
    @Alanstrainor.
    I have heard lots about the poor cooling systems in the BMWs, is there anything that can be done to make up for the poor stock system? And what is so poor about it?

Expansion tanks, water pumps, thermostats, plus all the piping involved in connecting the whole lot together are areas that fail. In my car the only thing that has been changed is the thermostat, and I bought a new expansion tank cap also. I've been told by 2 mechanics, and seen it on other BMW forums, when one thing goes, you're as well off to replace the lot.

Don't think it's something to be worrying about, but it's worth checking and asking those questions. Lots of the American based forums would lead you to believe that these cars will explode every 5km...

No conzy is separate but they are friends outside of motors world.

Fock, can't believe that man. It looks so clean in the pictures and really stands out! I agree with you though I have my eye on 325s constantly and theres rarely any nice facelift ones with decent spec. :(
    Sorry for your troubles and thanks for the info.

Ideally for me, I'd like a 325 facelift e46 in red or that nice grey that seemed to come only on facelifts, with full electric centre console,climate control etc and some leather and m sport!

• Advertisement

Just got a kindle, and the eInk is easier on my eyes than an actual book! Seriously.

Expansion tanks, water pumps, thermostats, plus all the piping involved in connecting the whole lot together are areas that fail. In my car the only thing that has been changed is the thermostat, and I bought a new expansion tank cap also. I've been told by 2 mechanics, and seen it on other BMW forums, when one thing goes, you're as well off to replace the lot.

Don't think it's something to be worrying about, but it's worth checking and asking those questions. Lots of the American based forums would lead you to believe that these cars will explode every 5km...
    My mum got one for Christmas so I'll see. I like having the book in my hand though, and because of my nostalgia and love for ww2, I treat all the ww2 books I like as part of my own collection yano?

Any idea on prices for the various parts you mentioned man?

If you just need part of the thermostat it's cheap enough

I'd to replace the entire unit on my alfa and it was about 50e

Best bet is to get a licence number from an ad if you can and plug it into micksgarage

True that good idea!

I'm gonna have to start a car buying thread shortly after the meet me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Is conzy challengemaster?

Nope, I can confirm this :D

dgt wrote: »
    Nope, I can confirm this :D

Hmmph is he a poster?

I've wondered about him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Stheno - conzy is ginger, challengemaster is ginger, there's a difference :P

Stheno - conzy is ginger, challengemaster is ginger, there's a difference :P

Ah bright ginger with freckles and glow in the dark skin as opposed to auburn with almost normal skin?

I got's questions about Glanzas if Andy is about, what is the world coming to at my end??!! :eek:

It's turbo related.... :)

Hmmph is he a poster?

I've wondered about him :)

Conzy has a 325i, CM has a 320cd :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

How does rust hold up on cars like these?
    Is there a way of treating them so they don't rot?
    I'd like to try it with something, in the pure fun way they're talking about in the video.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement