Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC World Championship 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

A cracking semi final in prospect between Barney and Taylor. Great to see Barney back to his best after a few years in the doldrums.

I agree that Barney had become self piteous in interviews but he did have a difficult period the last few years with his affair and the blackmailing which I'm sure I read on a site earlier this year that 2 people had been jailed or charged in relation to the blackmailing case? The last few months have seen a dramatic turnaround for Barney and personally I think Taylor will have to be at his best to beat Barney,Barney will not be afraid of Taylor unlike numerous others who're defeated before they play Taylor.

An easy win for Taylor as expected and again another improvement in his average which suggests he's starting to peak at the right time. Taylor will be very determined to win his 16th title and win the new Sid Waddell trophy. As for Hamilton well bar giving Taylor a close call in the Players Championship a few weeks back he usually collapses against Taylor so his whitewash last night was no surprise.

2 more quarter finals to look forward to to tonight. Newton v Wade should be a close game and here I think Newton will edge this game. Another close game in prospect between Van Gerwen and Lewis. I think the winner of this game will go to the final. I reckon Lewis could win this one but he'll have to improve his finishing and average to better Van Gerwen who's averaging around the 100 mark the whole tournament. A great game awaits IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It was such a bizarre interview. Taylor came across as typically arrogant but a couple of his comments were obviously not meant for public domain, it just all became a bit uncomfortable. A really dirty move on Taylor's part to stoop so low.

This is why Taylor is a "Sky" favourite though.
    It's the standard they apply to all of their major sporting "investments".
    The sport itself almost becomes a sideshow to the "spats" between the players/managers/fans and the more controversial someone/thing is, the better it is for Sky's (and I suppose to an extent, the sports') viewing figures.
    Also, what happens is you'll see people who had no interest in the sport up to that point gain and interest because of the "dramatic" side to it.
    It makes great rag material as well. "Dying in your sleep", "Blackmail", "Affairs" and controversial comments that have nothing to do with the game portraying one player as the "bad guy" only add to the drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

The interview with Taylor last night just shows what a poor sport he is and the way he has "Dave" performing tricks for him is quite sickening tbh. When Dave mentioned Barney having said he's not scared of Taylor the interview changed and Taylor resorted to the usual tactics - drop a piece of gossip into the interview to mess with their heads.
    Whether Barney actually said to Taylor "He wants to die in his sleep" or that "He was now back with his wife" I'm sure it was said in confidence, not to be used in mind games later on.
    Taylor resorted to the usual tactics after beating MVG a few weeks back saying he has seen MVG after the match and he was in tears and that MVG's celebrations are a bit over the top.. So f**ckin what?

I would love to see.. a hum dinger of a match between Taylor & Barney which Barney ultimately loses.. MVG wins his match and before the match with Taylor he stirs up the fact that Taylor is a convicted sex offender in a pre-match interview.

That would liven the whole thing up a bit and give Taylor a taste of his own medicine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Ouch - not sure who I'd like to avoid most, Taylor or Jayo99...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,957 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

kippy wrote: »
    This is why Taylor is a "Sky" favourite though.
    It's the standard they apply to all of their major sporting "investments".
    The sport itself almost becomes a sideshow to the "spats" between the players/managers/fans and the more controversial someone/thing is, the better it is for Sky's (and I suppose to an extent, the sports') viewing figures.
    Also, what happens is you'll see people who had no interest in the sport up to that point gain and interest because of the "dramatic" side to it.
    It makes great rag material as well. "Dying in your sleep", "Blackmail", "Affairs" and controversial comments that have nothing to do with the game portraying one player as the "bad guy" only add to the drama.

It's not a drama thing it was wrong from Taylor. He is not an actor you could see his reaction change totally when Dave told him what Barney said. It's not drama not a soap opera its real life if somebody confides in you talking about thinking about dying you don't say it on tv. Totally out of order imo. I have no problem with banter for getting interest back for people but that wasn't banter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

jayo99 wrote: »

I would love to see.. a hum dinger of a match between Taylor & Barney which Barney ultimately loses.. MVG wins his match and before the match with Taylor he stirs up the fact that Taylor is a convicted sex offender in a pre-match interview.

That would liven the whole thing up a bit and give Taylor a taste of his own medicine

Haha that would be funny, I think MvG is too much of a nice guy for those tactics though. I kind of want Taylor to beat Barney too and then get stuffed by MvG again in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

Haha that would be funny, I think MvG is too much of a nice guy for those tactics though. I kind of want Taylor to beat Barney too and then get stuffed by MvG again in the final.

Yep.. and knowing the way Taylor lords it over Sky, they'd cut the clip before it aired
    I really hope MVG wins.. The raw emotion the guy exhibits is addictive and what the sport really needs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i have a feeling its james wades year. be delighted for him especially with his personal troubles

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

ricero wrote: »
    i have a feeling its james wades year. be delighted for him especially with his personal troubles

Frist part, no.

Second part, yessssss.

Be good to see Lewis vs Wade semi (but i think M.V.G. will mess that up) always some bitching go's on with them, loose floor boards, breeze across the stage and what have ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

Now i have to go get a few tins for tonight :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Lewis-Barney final for me with Lewis winning his 3rd in a row.

I think it will be Taylor vs MvG or Lewis in the final. I think Barney is fragile and could crack like an egg under pressure, and Taylor is a master at exerting that pressure whether it be through his darts or simply wumming/mind games.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭langer91

lads whats yer opinion on newton v wade, i reckon newton has a great chance??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Is the darts not on tv tonight?

langer91 wrote: »

Hard to choose. If I had to pick, I'd go with Wade just because he has a bit more experience in the latter stages of these big tournaments.

Junior D wrote: »
    Is the darts not on tv tonight?
    SS1 at 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

langer91 wrote: »
    Could be a surprise in that one alright. Should be a great game, they're both in great form going into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,171 ✭✭✭✭briany

Lewis-Barney final for me with Lewis winning his 3rd in a row.

Personally, I'd hate to see Lewis win. A Lewis victory would not do the game of darts any favours because he blows hot and cold throughout the rest of the year, lacks charisma, and I just think Barney or MVG would make a better ambassador for the game, certainly if what Barney said is true about the game being a little bit on the wane over the last while in Holland. A Dutch victory could only help turn that around and keep awareness of darts alive in places further afield. Finally, an RVB win would complete a Cinderella story that begun it's narrative during his grand slam success. It would be good for the box office and SKY could talk about it for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Come on MVG. Time to send Lewis home. Newton and Wade could be very close

I'm going for Wade 5-3 and Lewis 5-3 wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Wade and mvg fr me , even with his injury , van gerwin can get in front , Lewis will struggle . Strange that wade is sneaking along and no one is rating him as a potential winner , great match player

Can't get into this wade/newton game, too excited about lewis/mvg

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭michaelr666

wades in trouble

I still fancy Wade to win this.

Newton misses the big number for the set, oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Newton with a dose of the Andersons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That 'boring, boring tables' chant is really doing my head in.

2-2. Newton buckling under pressure, Wade should go on to win this now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Wade should never have won that set. Huge momentum shift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭michaelr666

boring, boring tables??

what kind of stupid chant is that?

Advertisement