Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC World Championship 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

I really think that the crowd will back MVG and there will be boos for Taylor. No problem with that as its no harm Taylors smug head got a rattle. Seems he can do what he wants and get away with it. Why havent PDC come out this morning and fined him?? For wearing a pair of jeans or runners you will get fined but carry on like last night on stage.... nothing. Not a great example to any kids watching. Win or lose you shake the other mans hand and whether you hate the man or not you dont have it out in front of crowd and TV. Taylor is a great Darts player but a great sportsman? Nah, a bad winner and worse loser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I think he will be fined , he's shown all year this type of behaviour . When he shouted at mvg during their match in the grand slam of darts . I think he is seeing the next level of young dart player coming through who have raised the bar even higher then he has when he took over from Bristow and he doesn't like it one bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

magherakid wrote: »
    Barney has spoken to Dutch Darts reporter

Barney - "I do not know if I'm going to respond. The emotions are running high. Of course I hope Michael wins final."

Barney - "Resentment from me to Phil? I hope Michael wins."

"Because Van Gerwen is also Dutch"
    I have read the full Dutch newspaper report and that was what Barney said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

I think it's all a setup by Taylor, generating a bit of Hype. He knows exactly what he's doing. Final is Good V Evil !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Jedi Master V Sith Lord

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Appalling behaviour from Taylor, there was a little part of me that wanted Barney to level him. Darts has gone a bit overboard with the hugs and whatever after the match, but sportmanship in whatever guise should be maintained - I think it wouldn't have killed Wade either to acknowledge the MVG 9 darter

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Appalling behaviour from Taylor, there was a little part of me that wanted Barney to level him. Darts has gone a bit overboard with the hugs and whatever after the match, but sportmanship in whatever guise should be maintained - I think it wouldn't have killed Wade either to acknowledge the MVG 9 darter
    big time !! supposed he was 2-1 up concentrating on the set.
    They didn't even make eye contact when the match was over either.

Heard Taylor's patronising interview as always following the match. Says he going to take an antibiotic as he has a a bit of Man Flu..Making excuses already before he gets taught a lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

syngindub wrote: »
    big time !! supposed he was 2-1 up concentrating on the set.
    They didn't even make eye contact when the match was over either.

Heard Taylor's patronising interview as always following the match. Says he going to take an antibiotic as he has a a bit of Man Flu..Making excuses already before he gets taught a lesson.

LOL. . yeah the handshake after the match - Wade was halfway past MVG before he shook his hand - he was in such a rush off that he forgot his dart case and bits and pieces.

.. Taylors post match interview :confused: ... he can't have it both ways .. I can remember him threatening to quit and being terrible "upset" after Chris Mason launched into him after their post match handshake 3-4 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

Here is Barney's Take on what went on last night. Came across this on http://www.thedartsforum.co.uk

Barney has spoken to Dutch Darts reporter @ArjanvdGiessen - translation on the way.

Barney - "I was in a sportsmanlike manner and tried to congratulate him on stage and when he pushed me away."

Barney - "I understood nothing of it and wanted to hug him. He said Tulip Off and I didnt understand. What inspires the man to push me away."

Barney "I gave him a nudge in his back and then we walked down the stage there are still harsh words back stage"

Barney "We are disassembled and I'm through security away to a car. I do not understand still."

Barney - " I wanted to congratulate him once sporty and then this, incredible. I'm sick of it, I dont understand his reaction at all."

Barney - " I have not talked to him! I just received a text message from Phil. He apologizes for his improper behavior."

Barney - "I do not know if I'm going to respond. The emotions are running high. Of course I hope Michael wins final."

Barney - "Resentment from me to Phil? I hope Michael wins."

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

For anyone would like to watch the last set of the taylor vs barneveld match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUkqJaIrFaA

Alsp worth a look M,V,G 5th set against James Wade. Almost back to back 9 darters and lost the set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AZuwTmKyFc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

hope MVG wins..taylor is obnoxious!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Scum behaving like scum, shocker. If you nucked the arena tonight that would be a good few dole scroungers put down!
    Care to reply without a symbol? Fans and players for the most part are scum, period! I say that as a fan.
    And? They are scum aswell. Probably even worse! Civilised people can't have a laugh? The darts fans you see at these event are the lowest common denominator of human on the planet.
    You are welcome, peasant.
    because you can't make a point? Simpleton

The worst kind if forum user, little bitch who rats to mummy when they feel they can't reply.

You are on obvious troll or someone who hasn't got a clue what they are talking about. Either way I don't want you posting in the darts forum so your banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

more mind games by Taylor ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo9oVzeeuRA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

leggo wrote: »
    Sky are grand for the media side of things, to be fair. To do media, you have to realise what the public want and then serve it to them. And the vast majority will put that down to handbags between the players, like two players squaring up in a GAA match. You don't demand to know exactly what was said and the background behind it when that happens, do you?

It's only the likes of ourselves, who are REALLY into the sport, that want to know. And, realistically, we don't have any right to. We feel that, because they're on TV and they might occasionally talk about their personal lives, that we have a right to know everything. But we don't know these people from Adam, ultimately.

Similarly, the fact that Rod Harrington was 'licking Taylor's arse' is a misnomer. He was actually doing solid work in that he realised that Taylor was closing up under questioning (literally; he reacted to one of Dave's questions with stone silence) and that, by having a former pro throw him some platitudes, he could get him to open up.

And it worked: Taylor stayed and chatted for ten more minutes instead of getting up and walking off when emotions were high. Even look at how Taylor reacted, "I'll tell Rod (what the aggro was about) but I won't tell you (to Dave Clarke)." It was like Rod was coddling a baby along there and it worked perfectly. Taylor wasn't going to blab, but people still wanted to hear from him, so Rod recognised all of this and made sure it happened.

I still would've loved to see Bristow there to lay into him, though. And Taylor would've sat there and took it because of the respect he has for Eric too.

The Sky interview was nothing but fluff.

Get Taylor to open up?? Are you taking the mick??

All I saw was a load of dancing around the giant elephant in the room.

I reckon any other player would have been tackled on the issue and at least told that its out of order.

But because its Taylor its swept under the carpet. Sky and the PDC are sh*tting themselves that Taylor will walk and the man himself does what he wants because he knows he transcends the sport to a certain degree.

Your praise of Harrington is very funny. I'd say he still has not appeared out of Taylor's h*le. It was one mate standing up for another (knowing who butters his bread in reality), not unbiased coverage.

Where does Bristow disappear to? Would be great to see him in the studio after the games rather than before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

buster180 wrote: »
    Barney - "I understood nothing of it and wanted to hug him. He said Tulip Off and I didnt understand. What inspires the man to push me away."
    That made me lol :D
    I'm guessing that's bad translation and not a weird xenophobic swipe at a Dutchman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

pauld wrote: »
    love darts, watching it since the early 80s.

Very disappointed in Taylor's behaviour last night. I hope he does not try to bully mvg in the final like he did in the recent tournament where he shouted at MVg to hurry up and get out of his way.

Also disapponted in Wade's non reaction to the 9 darter, it appeared he did not acknowledge MVGs accomplishment at the time, does not happen in snooker 147s or golf hole in ones. Professional Sports people should show a bit more class than was on display last night.

I wouldn't be too hard on Wade myself. It was a key stage in the match and it is vital for them to be focused on their own game. We see many darts players not even looking when the other players are throwing. Wade still one the set which highlights the importance of it to me, it doesn't take too much to knock them out of their stride if they start letting stuff get to them.

Everybody will have been full of admiration for what MVG achieved and nearly achieved last night, I'd be confident he has received compliments from Wade, but I obviously don't know. I still watch it back and still get caught up in it thinking there is still a chance he will hit that double 12 for the back to back one :D

I totally agree that there should have been more class shown by Taylor,especially considering the match had ended, he made sure he fist pumped and shouted towards RVB even before the other crap happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

cambo2008 wrote: »
    That made me lol :D
    I'm guessing that's bad translation and not a weird xenophobic swipe at a Dutchman?
    Original text in Dutch:

Ik snapte daar helemaal niets van en wilde hem nog omhelzen. Hij zei 'Fuck Off' en ik begreep er niks van. Wat bezielt de man om mij weer weg te duwen.

For that particular part, there want any translation needed :D
    Probably just censored

jayo99 wrote: »

Doing a Ronnie on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Riprock

Sky are grand for the media side of things, to be fair. To do media, you have to realise what the public want and then serve it to them. And the vast majority will put that down to handbags between the players, like two players squaring up in a GAA match. You don't demand to know exactly what was said and the background behind it when that happens, do you?

It's only the likes of ourselves, who are REALLY into the sport, that want to know. And, realistically, we don't have any right to. We feel that, because they're on TV and they might occasionally talk about their personal lives, that we have a right to know everything. But we don't know these people from Adam, ultimately.

Similarly, the fact that Rod Harrington was 'licking Taylor's arse' is a misnomer. He was actually doing solid work in that he realised that Taylor was closing up under questioning (literally; he reacted to one of Dave's questions with stone silence) and that, by having a former pro throw him some platitudes, he could get him to open up.

And it worked: Taylor stayed and chatted for ten more minutes instead of getting up and walking off when emotions were high. Even look at how Taylor reacted, "I'll tell Rod (what the aggro was about) but I won't tell you (to Dave Clarke)." It was like Rod was coddling a baby along there and it worked perfectly. Taylor wasn't going to blab, but people still wanted to hear from him, so Rod recognised all of this and made sure it happened.

I still would've loved to see Bristow there to lay into him, though. And Taylor would've sat there and took it because of the respect he has for Eric too.

I disagree respectfully. Rod Harrington has been a ‘solid performer’ over the last number of years, you’re not going to get witticisms or the like from him or god forbide he has a chuckle or raises his voice a decibel. He’s just solid and has good knowledge of the game. However I lost all respect for him when he more or less condoned Taylors antics last night before Taylor came on for an interview, a disgrace, he absolutely did lick his arse. Obviously they are friends but he is being paid well, he should have showed some courage. As for opening him up, to what? That he had a cold (front page news there) and he was under pressure/stress (it is the semi final of the biggest darts comp in the world, no sht). They were like kids in a playground...'I'll tell you but not him...'! Very sad. As for Dave Clark, he has been boring me for years with his predicatble/bland line of questioning. For once he had a chance to show some mettle, some character, some depth but he chickened out. Let’s say Dave did decide this was his moment and fired off some aggressive questions, said look Phil listen to the crowd behind you booing, yes Taylor may have walked but I think it was beginning to dawn on him what an absolute fool he made of himself, we may actually have got the ‘apology’ quicker. We’ll never know. Anyway enjoying all the posts whether I agree or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

The amount of utter crap that has been posted since the end of last nights game is shocking. Nothing like a bit of drama to bring out the Taylor haters.

This thread has so many new posters since last night, where were you all when Dean Winstanley hit a 9 darter? Where were you all when arguably the best game ever between MVG and Lewis was in full swing? Where were you all when MVG landed 17 perfect darts yesterday evening? That's right you all were nowhere to be seen because there was no disgusting pot shots to be thrown.

Taylor admitted he was wrong to do what he did, it takes a man to come out and admit he was wrong.

I'm saying no more on this now as there is the small matter of a final tomorrow night, one which I hope will be a cracker. I think Taylor will win, MVG's doubles over the last two matches have been erratic to say the least and I feel The Power will take full advantage to win his 16th world title. Wouldn't be one bit surprised if there's another 9 darter, most likely from the Green Machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Riprock wrote: »
    I disagree respectfully. Rod Harrington has been a ‘solid performer’ over the last number of years, you’re not going to get witticisms or the like from him or god forbide he has a chuckle or raises his voice a decibel. He’s just solid and has good knowledge of the game. However I lost all respect for him when he more or less condoned Taylors antics last night before Taylor came on for an interview, a disgrace, he absolutely did lick his arse. Obviously they are friends but he is being paid well, he should have showed some courage. As for opening him up, to what? That he had a cold (front page news there) and he was under pressure/stress (it is the semi final of the biggest darts comp in the world, no sht). They were like kids in a playground...'I'll tell you but not him...'! Very sad. As for Dave Clark, he has been boring me for years with his predicatble/bland line of questioning. For once he had a chance to show some mettle, some character, some depth but he chickened out. Let’s say Dave did decide this was his moment and fired off some aggressive questions, said look Phil listen to the crowd behind you booing, yes Taylor may have walked but I think it was beginning to dawn on him what an absolute fool he made of himself, we may actually have got the ‘apology’ quicker. We’ll never know. Anyway enjoying all the posts whether I agree or not!
    The Sky interview was nothing but fluff.

Get Taylor to open up?? Are you taking the mick??

All I saw was a load of dancing around the giant elephant in the room.

I reckon any other player would have been tackled on the issue and at least told that its out of order.

But because its Taylor its swept under the carpet. Sky and the PDC are sh*tting themselves that Taylor will walk and the man himself does what he wants because he knows he transcends the sport to a certain degree.

Your praise of Harrington is very funny. I'd say he still has not appeared out of Taylor's h*le. It was one mate standing up for another (knowing who butters his bread in reality), not unbiased coverage.

Where does Bristow disappear to? Would be great to see him in the studio after the games rather than before.

Lads, they had time to fill and needed a Taylor interview. He was sulking like a child and refusing to talk before Rod stepped in. Right then, given what had gone on beforehand, they knew there was a danger of him just walking out of the interview. You can physically see him relax once Rod pays him a couple of compliments and they got 10 minutes or so out of him (10 minutes which people are still talking about a day later).

You can also see Rod physically lean over reassuringly to calm him down, all that was missing was putting an arm around him. He did that right after Taylor seized up, it was a reaction. I'm not a massive Harrington fan, but that's what good interviewers do: they read the other person and judge their line of questioning accordingly. Watch it again if you don't believe me.

Taylor wasn't going to open up about it. Simple as. They copped onto this and tried to relax him, perhaps in an effort to see if they can go back to the incident later (as it happened, they couldn't, as Taylor started banging on about breaking records and so on). You can't blame them for not getting someone who wasn't going to talk to them about an incident to not talk about it.

If you ask someone something and they refuse to answer, then push again and they start to sulk, what more can you do?

I mean, it's easy to say, "They should've let him walk out," but that's them being piss-poor at their job, whether you'd have liked to see it or not. If a chat show host did that regularly, they'd be sacked within a matter of weeks. The long-term effects of that is you just get **** interviews constantly because the players won't want to talk to you. Jonathan Ross used to struggle getting certain big names for his BBC show, despite it being the biggest in the UK then, because he had a reputation for winding the guest up.

This thread has so many new posters since last night, where were you all when Dean Winstanley hit a 9 darter? Where were you all when arguably the best game ever between MVG and Lewis was in full swing? Where were you all when MVG landed 17 perfect darts yesterday evening? That's right you all were nowhere to be seen because there was no disgusting pot shots to be thrown.

I love this argument for its ridiculousness: it basically presupposes that, unless you post on boards during games, you're not a real fan (whatever that means; technically all you have to do is watch to qualify as a 'real fan'; it's not a contest.)

I was watching the Winstanley game on the Mac while watching the football on the big screen, personally, so posting on boards wasn't an option. I had people over for the Lewis/MVG game, so I'd be a poor house guest if I'd have spent all night on boards. And I watched a lot of it on Sky+ after work...so going on boards to read posts saying 'great shot there' when I'm not watching live didn't really appeal. This topic drew me in because my housemates stopped giving a **** about it about 5 minutes after it happened, so I wanted to discuss it more with others. Isn't that generally how message boards work?

I'm having people over tomorrow for the final too. Is that okay? Do I not get my 'real fan certificate' if I give it a miss on here? :pac:

If anything, supporting a lack of sportsmanship in favour of following the best player of all-time, to me, would make you 'less of a fan' (if I cared to quantify it). You're not recognising or critiquing what actually happened in favour of being a fanboy for the successful guy.

Did you not say afterwards that Barney must have said something? From the apology today and Barneys interview, it seems this was not the case. So...
    ...it takes a man to come out and admit he was wrong.

:D:D::p:p

I'm only winding you up. It's history now. Noone got hurt. Here's to a great final

Not everyone has the luxury of watching it Live either. Some of us work awkward hours, avoid boards & social media to watch it recorded a few hours after the event !!.. I'd love to have been on during the game though.

Bet any tickets around for the PL get snapped up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

After looking at the Interview he gave on Sky this morning personally I think this was a ploy used by the PDC and Sky for Taylor to shift the onus off the Barney incident. He talks about been disillusioned with things,how could a multi-millionaire be in such a depressed state? He goes on about not been well but FFS go away and see a doctor! As for sending an apology by text to Barney he might as well have not bothered,a real man would phone up and talk on the phone.

I've been following darts for many years now since I was a wee lad in the mid 1980's and while there has been many great players down through the years without a shadow of a doubt Phil Taylor has and will be the greatest player ever in darts. I must admit I've never been his greatest fan but I've always admired his outstanding darting ability. However the last few years we have seen increased incidents of him losing the plot on stage in TV games. And it has not been just 1 game,there is a lot of games where he has shown himself up to be a bad sport.

Personally I think the PDC need to clamp down on this incident and severely fine Taylor for his disgraceful antics up on stage last night or else fans like myself will start to believe the term PDC = Phil's Darts Club! Seriously the PDC are always blabbering on about this famous DRA who deal with unruly behavior by players and have this year dealt out fines and suspensions to players including Gary Anderson for non TV incidents. Time the DRA preach what they say!

As for Phil blabbering on about walking away from the game we've heard all that nonsense before! The man has done everything in the game and his record of 15 World titles will never be beat in a million years! He even came runner up in the 2010 BBC Sports personality of the year which was a major achievement even though I'm not too sure many people would vote for him now if the situation arose again! Maybe it's time Phil did walk away for his own good,he owes darts nothing but I'm sure it's only another Idle threat!

As for the final well Taylor has put himself in an ideal position either way because after today's interview if Van Gerwen beats him he'll use the excuse of been drained and tired and if he wins he'll blow his top saying this is his best World Championship win ever! I hope Van Gerwen wins but if the young Dutch lad doesn't improve his doubles Taylor will punish him severely. Last but not least I hope the crowd can behave themselves but after last night's shenanigans I'm sure the complete opposite is going to happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Im no fan of Taylor (admire his darting ability of course) and hope Van Gerwen wins tonight. Cant see him facing sanction though. what did he do? fist into air in front of opponent is nothing new. He took the handshake but didnt have the manners to handle the rest. Came across as the pig most reckon he is and made an absolute show of himself but thats it. Cant wait to see the new guard to brush him and Barney aside to be honest. Right pair of drama queens IMO.

Cant wait to see the new guard to brush him and Barney aside to be honest. Right pair of drama queens IMO.

Days are numbered for the pair of them and they know it.

Darts was on a different planet in the first game. taylor Barney was never going to reach that level and everyine knew it.
    Hope this guy blows Taylor out of the water tonight bringing darts into the next generation. Respect to whats gone in the past, but it's time for a few new faces !! Suppose it's a matter if he can deal with the pressure and mind games.

Can't feckin wait !

For anyone who's interested, I've started a new sports betting tips website and I included a preview of the Taylor/MVG final in the latest column (it's at the bottom after the football tips). You guys might enjoy it! :)

• Advertisement

For anyone who's interested, I've started a new sports betting tips website and I included a preview of the Taylor/MVG final in the latest column (it's at the bottom after the football tips). You guys might enjoy it! :)

fair play to ye, you better keep it going now !!

Advertisement