Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC World Championship 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

MVG is a cracking player but the final is a real marathon at the best of 13 sets.
    Hopefully he'll be able to keep up the level of performance he showed in the first few sets and he's guaranteed to win a few world championships.
    Pity it fizzled out after the score got to 5-4 to Taylor, the first 4 or 5 sets were unreal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Disappointing final. MVG's bottle went once it went to 4-4. He started chucking his darts all over the shop from then until the end.

You must be drunk

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

fionnsda wrote: »
    oi! darts ****!
    Inquitus wrote: »
    Taylors a muppet, shame he won.

Both posters banned for 2 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Devastator wrote: »
    RU Mad? That was a great game of darts!

At 4-4 it was set to be great final but MVG was awful after that. Taylor played well but MVG folded. A great final should have both playing well throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

All this hate for Taylor, it's hard at the top eh...

If anyone thinks that was a bad darts match, then you are not a darts fan!!..

It has been an amazing darts championship for start to finish.
    Well done to both Phil and Micheal for giving us a great few hours entertainment.

It's been emotional lads and lasses :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Disappointed for Van Gerwen. It's still good experience for him and he'll come good eventually in this tournament.

Appropiate as well that Taylor is the first recipient of the Sid Waddell trophy!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭cizolin

I don't watch darts to see phil taylor the man, i watch it to see the darting genius that he is.

Well done phil. Write him off at your peril

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

At 4-4 it was set to be great final but MVG was awful after that. Taylor played well but MVG folded. A great final should have both playing well throughout.

Nonsense!

If you actually believe that was a disappointing game of darts you need to find a different sport

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

monkey9 wrote: »
    Appropiate as well that Taylor is the first recipient of the Sid Waddell trophy!

+1

Delighted Phil won, great game and high quality championship throughout I thought. Really hope van Gerwen continues this form, he's going to be great to watch every week in the PL. He's improved an awful lot since I saw him play in the Noggin Inn a year or two ago! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Devastator wrote: »
    Nonsense!

If you actually believe that was a disappointing game of darts you need to find a different sport

Hey if you think it was an absolutely unbelievable final then fair play. Glad you enjoyed it.

Myself I thought it was a long way from being a great final compared to other really great finals. It wasn't bad. Just not great. For reasons which I have outlined elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Hey if you think it was an absolutely unbelievable final then fair play. Glad you enjoyed it.

Myself I thought it was a long way from being a great final compared to other really great finals. It wasn't bad. Just not great. For reasons which I have outlined elsewhere.

:rolleyes: Make up your mind...earlier you said it was disappointing now "It wasn't bad. Just not great." :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

It was a great final if you're a Phil Taylor fan, otherwise not great I don't think. MvG didn't really play anywhere near his best, if it weren't for some big outshots in the early sets the scoreline could have been embarrassing for him. Taylor blew him to pieces, 7-4 was flattering for MvG.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Only started watching this at the semi-final stage, and the quality of play was incredible in all 3 matches. Whatever people's views of Taylor's behaviour the other night his come-back tonight was top quality. I thought as they were heading towards the end of the 9th set the winner would go on to take the Championship - if Taylor had lost that set I think he would still have dug deep but van Gerwen's sheer quality would prevail, but once Taylor won that set the Dutchman had been broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Football Gambler

Heroditas wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I had a matching flutter on MVG to win 7-5 when the score was 4-4.
    However, ended up in the black so happy days. :)

Nothing wrong with that, profit is profit. :)

As a darts fan I thought it was a great final. As I said before I would have preferred MVG to win but you can't take anything away from Taylor, he's the best there is, best there was and best there ever will be!

The tournament as a whole has been brilliant, there were a few disappointing games but some amazing highlights. MVGs 17 perfect darts was the 1 most memorable moment for me, but also Dean Winstanley's 9 dart & reaction to it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I think the final had average throws of +100 .

Don't know how any darts fans could comment on it been a disappointing final

I think the final had average throws of +100 .

Don't know how any darts fans could comment on it been a disappointing final

393082_448678341846245_1212788950_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

From the quarter finals onwards the standard was top notch. Some amazing games. It was always going to be fairly special with so many top seeds making it that far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

finals are all about the winning and taylor deserves respect to have come out on top. Overall it will be remembered not for phil winning or anything even near this. .. Main overriding theme has to be taylors disrespect shown to barney and the cowardly attempt to justify it yestesday on sky which everybody could see was total bollocks. 9 darters were something special and mvgs performances bring darts to new heights.. ps. phil you won the tourney but you lost many a good darts supporter in the process. shame on you. p.s.. you need that break you alluded to.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dandynamo

Great final.did not disapoint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

great tournament , thought dave lanning was coming back to commentate on the final though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Kieran81 wrote: »
    great tournament , thought dave lanning was coming back to commentate on the final though?

Think he did the commentary for sky 3D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Well done too The Power!Also MVG put on a brave performance!
    57 tournament 180's also is mad!!

P.S RIP Syd Waddel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Great final, Taylor is still King.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

Gutted for mvg.. he will be back.. took his defeat like a man..no doubt will.learn from it.

Taylor played the better final..got the crap scared inta him for a while too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

great tournament, mvg will win a lot of world titles still only 23, taylor is not ready to quit just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Football Gambler

MVG should learn from that, he had that game in the bag and only lost to the greatest player ever, and his 'know how' when it comes to getting the job done.

MVG will probably be licking his wounds this morning wondering how he lost that, but he will come again, and he should have learnt a valuable lesson last night.

At times Taylor was just clinging on, his dart to win the 3rd set (the last of his visit) was missing double 16 by a mile and hit his previous 'missed by a mile' dart and bounced in. Those are the sort of breaks you need to win a final, and Taylor knows that. Taylor knows how to win, but even he mustn't have won too many games in which he has been battered in the way he was early on in that.

For me it was Taylor's greatest victory for years, if not ever.

All in all, an unbelievable tournament on the whole - as it usually is these days.

Bring on the BDO....... or should that be Premier League Darts ;)

MVG should learn from that, he had that game in the bag and only lost to the greatest player ever, and his 'know how' when it comes to getting the job done.

MVG will probably be licking his wounds this morning wondering how he lost that, but he will come again, and he should have learnt a valuable lesson last night.

At times Taylor was just clinging on, his dart to win the 3rd set (the last of his visit) was missing double 16 by a mile and hit his previous 'missed by a mile' dart and bounced in. Those are the sort of breaks you need to win a final, and Taylor knows that. Taylor knows how to win, but even he mustn't have won too many games in which he has been battered in the way he was early on in that.

For me it was Taylor's greatest victory for years, if not ever.

All in all, an unbelievable tournament on the whole - as it usually is these days.

Bring on the BDO....... or should that be Premier League Darts ;)
    completely forgot about the BDO, get ready for lots of '60' and '45' and the very annoying 'lets play darts '

peteeeed wrote: »
    completely forgot about the BDO, get ready for lots of '60' and '45' and the very annoying 'lets play darts '

Get ready for the like of Scott Waites who has chewed up PDC champion the Power, and spat him out.

• Advertisement

and wolfy adams who won't ever test himself with the PDC even in the grand slam of darts , christian kist should come over to PDC after this tournament

Advertisement