Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

webley

Options
  • 18-11-2012 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

hi, dont know anything about this gun, found it in a shed. can anyone tell me anything about it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

It's a .177 webley air pistol, barrel is missing so its useless. Add to that the rust, you'd be wasting your time going to the guards. Chuck it in the bin if you're worried.

What it would have looked like 40+ years ago.

Webley-Webley-and-Scott-Junior-extended-grip-A28340.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭kk2012

why? it doesnt work..bits missing from it and its yrs old

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chesapeake

It used to be a webley junior air pistol.
    It's missing a barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭kk2012

mrmeindl wrote: »
    It's a .177 webley air pistol, barrel is missing so its useless. Add to that the rust, you'd be wasting your time going to the guards. Chuck it in the bin if you're worried.

thanks for info

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Bring it to either a Garda station or a registered firearms dealer immediately.

Whether it is whole or just parts of a gun it's still a firearm or component parts of a firearm and need a license to be in possession of one.

Get it to a dealer, and they can deal with it. A Garda station ma also tell you to do this, but if you bring it to a dealer, and either inform the Gardaí yourself or ask the dealer to do it for you.

Ether way get it to one of them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Ezridax wrote: »
    Bring it to ...

Since we're being legalistic, strictly speaking that's illegal too.

Leave it where you found it and report it to the Gardai. Then it's their responsibility when, whether & how it's dealt with.

RFD's have better things to do with their time. (Unlike worms or fish).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

mrmeindl wrote: »

I had one in .22 years ago, over 40 in fact :eek:, great shooting airgun and fun to shoot. Gave it away in the end :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    Leave it where you found it and report it to the Gardai. Then it's their responsibility when, whether & how it's dealt with.
    Do that so.

Whatever is necessary to get it out of the OP's possession.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

savage little gun a mate of mine has one and the crack out of it when fired is unreal ..they are an over lever and you can get them in the uk newer models

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Like Clive I had a Webley Senior airpistol in .22 which I bought in 1962, I had great fun with it. God be with the days when these things weren't considered weapons of mass destruction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭slug gun

I've a mint, boxed, 1949 Webley Mk1 slant grip model, in .177. Still shoot it regularly and it's great fun! Sixty years after it was made it still shoots straight and hard. Does 340 fps over the chrony with original Eley Wasps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

slug gun wrote: »
    I've a mint, boxed, 1949 Webley Mk1 slant grip model, in .177. Still shoot it regularly and it's great fun! Sixty years after it was made it still shoots straight and hard. Does 340 fps over the chrony with original Eley Wasps :D

Well, there's a thing! I have a whole tin of Eley Wasps in my drawer right here at my work desk!

In the real world I'd just stick them in the mail and send them over to you, but with each pellet being the equivalent of at a 300 pound depth charge in the RoI, I dare not do it....:rolleyes:

Sorry. I'll have to shoot them myself next time I get a few [unregistered] old air guns out for a blatt in my backyard with next door's kids. :D

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I've fired this little air pistol and it is great fun , pity you have to go through the same procedure to get a 3 or 4 ft/lb air gun licenced as a rimfire or centrefire pistol or rifle.
    These old steel framed webleys were every bit as well made and finished as any other firearm made at the time (or since), the fact they were only airguns didn't stop webley putting the work into them. No wonder they are sought after by collectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭slug gun

Tac

Many thanks for the kind thought to send me some old wasps...they're hard to come by...and as you know the new ones aren't the same at all! Happy for you to knock some cans over with them! A great way to spend a half hour in the back garden...

Tac

Many thanks for the kind thought to send me some old wasps...they're hard to come by...and as you know the new ones aren't the same at all! Happy for you to knock some cans over with them! A great way to spend a half hour in the back garden...

Indeed it is. As we are only allowed [most of us, that is] to have air pistols or black powder loose-loading handguns in England, Wales and Scotland - or the dreadful things called long-barrelled revolvers/pistols that you may have seen - the opportunity to shoot a nice precise air pistol in your own backyard is not one to be missed.

Best

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Isn't this the perfect metaphor for the kind of fear-riddden Republic we live in. Getting uptight about a seized- up lump of metal.
    Is there anybody willing to tackle our off the wall airgun laws ?

recipio wrote: »
    Isn't this the perfect metaphor for the kind of fear-riddden Republic we live in. Getting uptight about a seized- up lump of metal.
    Is there anybody willing to tackle our off the wall airgun laws ?

Its as much about money as anything else, if you need a licence for a weedy air pistol thats €80 to the doj/revenue coffers ,if you don't need a licence thats €0. There are other loopholes and anomalies in the laws , eg crossbows being a restricted firearm :rolleyes:

Well, in the RoI the airguns in MY little house would raise eu1600........

Phew.....................

tac

rowa wrote: »
    Its as much about money as anything else, if you need a licence for a weedy air pistol thats €80 to the doj/revenue coffers ,if you don't need a licence thats €0. There are other loopholes and anomalies in the laws , eg crossbows being a restricted firearm :rolleyes:

It can't just be about filthy lucre. Its the usual apathy and ineptitude from our lawmakers - and I think I'm being polite.!

As a furrin' guest visitor to this site, I cannot possibly comment.

I merely draw your attention to the words of a greater man than most of us - one Ethan Allen, who noted that 'wherever the politicians rule the government, instead of the will of the people ruling the politicians, you will have discrepancies in the individual interpretation of the laws that they make to control the population.'

tac

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »
    As a furrin' guest visitor to this site, I cannot possibly comment.

I merely draw your attention to the words of a greater man than most of us - one Ethan Allen, who noted that 'wherever the politicians rule the government, instead of the will of the people ruling the politicians, you will have discrepancies in the individual interpretation of the laws that they make to control the population.'

tac

True. How about 'The measure of a democracy is the way it treats its minorities' - attributed to Churchill and others.

recipio wrote: »
    True. How about 'The measure of a democracy is the way it treats its minorities' - attributed to Churchill and others.

Thats a bit rich, wasn't churchill one of those who organised the black and tans rampage in ireland in 1921-22 ? Not much democracy or good treatment of minorities then.
    Back on topic , the current commissioner martin callinan is rabidly anti-gun, so he might veto any attempts to slacken or reorganise the firearms act.

rowa wrote: »
    Thats a bit rich, wasn't churchill one of those who organised the black and tans rampage in ireland in 1921-22 ? Not much democracy or good treatment of minorities then.
    Back on topic , the current commissioner martin callinan is rabidly anti-gun, so he might veto any attempts to slacken or reorganise the firearms act.

I suppose every police force has an input into the formulation of gun law.?
    Our airgun laws have however been deliberately drafted to exert total control over their use by equating them with firearms.
    Out of the 27 EU countries we are that only country ( besides NI ) that does this.
    That's an entrenched mentality that seeks to proscribe a problem rather than work a fair solution and that goes back to the foundation of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Be assured of three things in this life,death,taxes and stupid gun/knife laws!
    [somones tag line on cyber shooters]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement