Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many digits in an AIB current a/c no?

Options
  • 18-11-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭

Question in is the thread title, is it 7 or 8 digits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

eight digits - if you are thinking there's only 7 digits then the first one is zero perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

coffeepls wrote: »
    eight digits - if you are thinking there's only 7 digits then the first one is zero perhaps

That might be the problem, I'll have to check with the a/c owner tomorrow, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Eight, all Irish bank accounts have a six digit sort code and a 8 digit bank account number.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Eight, all Irish bank accounts have a six digit sort code and a 8 digit bank account number.

I seem to recall the PTSB were "different", or maybe that was in the past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

coylemj wrote: »
    Question in is the thread title, is it 7 or 8 digits?

Are you a displaced Nigerian Prince?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I seem to recall the PTSB were "different", or maybe that was in the past.

All banks are now standard, it could have been the case way back. Some will have 7 digits with but starts with a 0 making it 8. Some banking staff accounts have 4 digits to remember but start with 4 zeros giving them an 8 digit number and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm the OP so just to clarify why I asked the question and perhaps the mods will close the thread.

I have a standing order on a BOI current a/c to an AIB a/c. When I ask 365Online to list the details of my standing orders, the one to that AIB a/c shows a seven digit a/c number. There is no mistake because the money has been transferring monthly for the past year but I was surprised to see only seven digits in the destination a/c number. As the first responder Coffeepls suggested, it's because the first digit is zero and the BOI system is dropping it because it's treating the string as numeric and not text so leading zeros get discarded.

Case closed.

Advertisement