Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 week family holiday California August 2013

Options
  • 18-11-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just looking for some input on planning a 2 week family holiday for August next year basing ourselves out of San Francisco.
    Will have wife + 2 kids, ages 14 and 9.
    Thinking of flying Dublin - San Fran, doing a few days there, then Napa Valley region, Yosemite and back to San Fran.
    Any thoughts on family friendly locations? Was thinking of Disney in LA, but it would simply cost too much.
    Kids love the beach and all thinks water based, but equally enjoy scenery and national parks etc. Probably going to hire a car.
    Any recommendations for self catering apartments etc. in San Fran, or close by?
    I was in San Fran about 18 years ago before kids and loved it.
    As always have a limited budget, and am restricted to August for other reasons, but I do know it's peak season.
    All suggestions/feedback welcome! Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

Kids 14 & 9… San Francisco may not be the best place for entertaining them. Consider Southern California! San Francisco has a great Aquarium and Santa Clara has Six Flags Great America (amusement park) but the beaches around San Francisco are not the best. Santa Cruz has a nice beach, and an amusement park, but Southern California is THE best. You WILL need a car wherever you go in California!

Napa valley is great for the wife (yes sexist… but my wife’s favourite) – Great winery tours with tasting! Driver – do not drink & drive – automatic jail time there. Wine tours are available via train, bus and Hot Air Balloon – I recommend the Hot air balloon tour. It is beautiful scenery that will leave a great memory!

Why do I recommend Southern California?? Great for kids and adults!:

Los Angles: Disneyland, Knott’s Berry Farm & Magic Mountain to name a few. Much much more!

San Diego Family: Best beaches short of Hawaii, Sea World (Must check out the penguin encounter!!), Lego land, Mission Bay Aquatic Centre (surfing training, sailboat training, scuba training, (A good 3-4 days of new activities here!), Balboa park – a must see with many hidden treasures!

San Diego Adults: Old Town, Shopping!, bay cruises (with & w/o food), Sunset cliffs – just fantastic for watching the sun go down, a trip to Mexico (Tijuana but make sure you have your passports with you). Jack Murphy Stadium – Go watch a baseball game – Get the cheap seats in the clouds! They are the best for a family day out! Arrive at the parking lot early and chat to some of the people “Tailgating” – they will welcome you to their barbecue and will openly offer any and all advice to help you get the most from your So Cal visit – Seriously!!

California is the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Important to remember the Fog. Its most common in July and August.

When the inland temperature gets Hot, it will draw in cool air from the sea that forms fog where the warm and cool air meet.

It usually only lasts during the mornings but there are pockets that will remain all day. Parts of Monterey can be really bad. I used to live in a part of Santa cruz county that would sometimes stay foggy for days at a time during august.

But its very localized and even at its worst only extends a couple of miles inland.

So its something to bear in mind. Dont be disappointed if you wake up to grey and cool mornings. more than likely it will be gone by midday.

Advertisement