Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending J1 to 12 Month Visa

Options
  • 18-11-2012 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if it's possible to go to the US on a 3/4 month J1 (working low-end jobs) and then choose to extend it to the full graduate 12 month one where you work in your field of study?

I'm planning to go to the US in June but I haven't decided if I want to leave after the summer or stay for the full year and was hoping that I could decide after spending some time there first.

THanks,

Carl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

You can't extend it but you can apply for the visa once you return home. Some companies have a 90 day rule where you have to stay out of the US between trips for 90 days. I've been on three back to back j1s and never had an issue returning within a few weeks. You do however have to return home to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Just got back from the USIT office and they said exactly that.

Advertisement