Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castle Street Bray

• 18-11-2012 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭

Anyone know whats happening at the top of Castle Street at the bridge over the Dargle? Very deep excavations and it seems to have been going on for a while.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

keano_afc wrote: »
    Anyone know whats happening at the top of Castle Street at the bridge over the Dargle? Very deep excavations and it seems to have been going on for a while.
    do you mean the flood protection works and associated river widening works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

keano_afc wrote: »
    Flood protection works.

Specifically at the bridge itself, they're building a culvert around the bridge on the Superquinn side to increase water flow under the bridge in times of heavy water flow. The narrow bridge arch forms a bit of a bottleneck at such times.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

And seemingly they found parts of the original bridge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

shar01 wrote: »
    And seemingly they found parts of the original
    really??cool..do keep us informed please shar01.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

@ Maudi - I've been a neglectful Boardsie.

Perhaps I should have said earlier incarnation of the bridge.

Anyway friend's husband was walking past the works, he looked into the excavations and saw what looked like rotting timbers. He has mentioned it to a friend in a local historical society.

I'll try find out more (I don't see them all that often).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 cllrmcmanus

@Maudi. The excavations did turn up the remains of a number of brick and stone structures. Some were identified as previous culverts on the site of the current works. I'm not sure, but I don't think they were the original bridge's remains.

Advertisement