Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop?

• 19-11-2012 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in 6th year at the moment, and I'm looking to do Electronic and Computer Engineering in UL next year (hopefully!).

At the moment I'm looking to get myself a new laptop, and I was just wondering for this type of course is there a specific type of laptop I would need? Ie amount of RAM etc. Obviously I don't want to spend €500+ only to find out I have the wrong laptop!

Thanks, and if this isn't in the right forum mods feel free to move it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It would be hard to have the "wrong" laptop, once you go for something with plenty of RAM etc. I recommend Lenovo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

Wait until you start your course would be my advice. They usually give you a suggested laptop, and you can go and take the specs and get a better alternative! That's what I did (Aero Eng).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Hi,

I'm in 6th year at the moment, and I'm looking to do Electronic and Computer Engineering in UL next year (hopefully!).

At the moment I'm looking to get myself a new laptop, and I was just wondering for this type of course is there a specific type of laptop I would need? Ie amount of RAM etc. Obviously I don't want to spend €500+ only to find out I have the wrong laptop!

Thanks, and if this isn't in the right forum mods feel free to move it.
    I did ECE last year (2nd year now). I've got a HP Pavilion dv6, bought at PC World because they had a good offer on a 5 year warranty at the time. :) You won't need anything to powerful for the course as there isn't much graphic or CPU intensive software required.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Thanks lads.

Slightly off topic, but Majestic Donkey, how are you finding ECE in general? Is it difficult, interesting etc? Also how many hours per week will I have in first year? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Thanks lads.

Slightly off topic, but Majestic Donkey, how are you finding ECE in general? Is it difficult, interesting etc? Also how many hours per week will I have in first year? Thanks.
    Heh, I mightn't be the best person to talk to. :D

I found during the year I was losing interest in the electronics side of things, so I've actually transferred to LM118 (Mobile Communications and Security) this year. Mobile Comms is essentially all software-based, security, networking etc.

In first year of ECE, I had 22 or 23 hours/week. In first semester you'll be doing maths, physics, software (Java programming), circuit electronics and digital electronics. Semester 2 is pretty much just follow-on modules, apart from physics which changes to semiconductor devices.

Also, there is a LOT of maths involved, so my advice would be if you haven't got a strong grip on honours LC maths, don't even consider going for this course. Don't let that put you off though, the course is probably one of the best available of its type, and the job opportunities are huge. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Thanks for that. I'm strong enough with honours maths and I do physics so that's not really a problem. I like the sounds of those modules, so don't worry you haven't put me off!

Cheers again.

Advertisement