Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 3 Episode 6 Hounded [** Spoilers **]

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Poor Daryl, awful moral dilemma coming up for him, his bro versus his friends - ouch!

What the hell is Andrea playing at?

When Daryl was talking to Carl about his mother dying he said he was able to go play with the other neighbourhood kids because Merle wasn't around. I think it's clear that Merle always looked down on Daryl and Daryl doesn't really like Merle and has in some ways probably been happier without him around to hold him down. If Merle had remained part of the group, Daryl would most likely have stayed in the background and never had the self-confidence to come into his own. I'm thinking this will be the crucial point that means their reunion wont be a happy one.

Also, Andrea is clearly an idiot. This has been obvious since she let her poor sister wake up a zombie before she would "double tap" her. I don't know what she's like in the comics (and would appreciate people not alluding to it all the time. I know it's not spoilering in the strictest sense but it is in a way) but in the show she has always made bad decisions, her only good one (going with Michonne) was forced upon her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

how many more eps ? 2 and then the break ?

and coming back in March ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,385 ✭✭✭✭Penn

coolisin wrote: »
    Although I was curious as why she never tried to stop merle or was she just hoping to get help when she dissed out glen and maggie?

I think she knew she wouldn't have been able to take him on. She was still injured and slow moving after being shot in the leg. Merle has a knife for a hand and had a gun to Maggie's head. She knew she wouldn't be able to help. Merle's a dangerous guy and can be very unpredictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Her position in relation to his was awful as well. She had no way of manoeuvring around him and as great a weapon as a Katana is, it's pretty much useless from 30 feet away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Grimebox wrote: »
    Great episode but Merle managing to kidnap Glenn and whats-her-name was ridiculous. They both are point guns at him and they thrown off by him firing a bullet between them??? Makes no sense

Yep, I found that a bit jarring too, I thought it was executed quite poorly. I also thought it was a bit contrived that Merle and Michonne both found their way to the very building Glenn and Maggie were travelling to. But obviously they needed a plot device for the group to learn about the kidnapping, so I'm not too critical of it.

Good episode overall, keeps the season ticking along very nicely. I think I'm in the minority that really enjoyed Season 2, but this is definitely superior so far.

I hope Andrea becomes a fully-fledged Woodbury bad guy so we might see Daryl put an arrow through her eye socket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

When Daryl was talking to Carl about his mother dying he said he was able to go play with the other neighbourhood kids because Merle wasn't around. I think it's clear that Merle always looked down on Daryl and Daryl doesn't really like Merle and has in some ways probably been happier without him around to hold him down. If Merle had remained part of the group, Daryl would most likely have stayed in the background and never had the self-confidence to come into his own. I'm thinking this will be the crucial point that means their reunion wont be a happy one.

Yeah I agree with this, but I also think/hope that Daryl will struggle simply because of the blood ties - lets not forget him and Merle are total rednecks where blood ties are culturally seen as important. But as well, Merle has charisma - I can see Merle trying to wheedle his way into Daryls affections initially by playing the part of the long lost brother, then switching into putting him down - and I think thats when we will see Daryl making the right decision about Merle (when his new self confidence allows him to turn against his brother). So yeah, end result - not a happy reunion!

My money is on the mid season showdown being Daryl Vs Merle as opposed to Rick Vs The Governor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Yeah I agree with this, but I also think/hope that Daryl will struggle simply because of the blood ties - lets not forget him and Merle are total rednecks where blood ties are culturally seen as important. But as well, Merle has charisma - I can see Merle trying to wheedle his way into Daryls affections initially by playing the part of the long lost brother, then switching into putting him down - and I think thats when we will see Daryl making the right decision about Merle (when his new self confidence allows him to turn against his brother). So yeah, end result - not a happy reunion!

My money is on the mid season showdown being Daryl Vs Merle as opposed to Rick Vs The Governor.

Meanwhile in other peoples of the world people don't care about family? Of course there will be a blood tie, but I don't think them being rednecks makes it any different

I'd say you're right username123, can't see them killing off the Governor that quickly. He's too good a character for Rick to dispatch of quickly...

Meanwhile in other peoples of the world people don't care about family? Of course there will be a blood tie, but I don't think them being rednecks makes it any different
    Rednecks, like travellers, inner city scumbags or any other under-educated groups around the world, tend to put far more emphasis on family ties than the rest of us. i.e. they'll forgive family doing anything to anyone, once they're loyal to the family unit.

• Advertisement

Sleepy has said it better than I ever could.

Watch "Winters Bone" for a further insight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Really good episode. The bit where Merle and Michonne both ended up at the same place seemed a bit strange to me too. Merle was supposedly heading back to The Governor and saying he killed her, so how did he end up there??
    And I dunno why Glenn didn't just shoot Merle there and then. He knows he's bad news. He was probably afraid what Darryl might do if he finds out though.
    Can't wait for the next episode to find out what happens!

Dean09 wrote: »
    Really good episode. The bit where Merle and Michonne both ended up at the same place seemed a bit strange to me too. Merle was supposedly heading back to The Governor and saying he killed her, so how did he end up there??
    And I dunno why Glenn didn't just shoot Merle there and then. He knows he's bad news. He was probably afraid what Darryl might do if he finds out though.

Didnt Merle say to the guy he killed that theyd best look for a car to get back to Woodbury? So he was probably at the row of shops looking for a car.

Yeah, I wondered that about Glenn too, but I suppose, in such a situation you really dont want to kill anyone if you dont have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Pretty much exactly what i was thinking... Should make for a good mid-season finale, but i wouldn't expect a cliffhanger. They could have had one last season if they had ended episode 7 with them breaking open the barn. They also have yet to have an end of season cliffhanger. Don't think it's their style and i'm glad of that, cliffhangers are terribly clichéd imo, Lost just killed them with having one every episode!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I'd agree with that, don't think Glenn would be able to keep that to himself when back spending time with Darryl. He'd probably afraid he'd let it slip and have Darryl go bananas, or be the type who'd have a hard time living with the guilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Sleepy has said it better than I ever could.

Watch "Winters Bone" for a further insight.

Or if you're actually interested in gaining further insight you could, I don't know, do some research in an area that isn't fiction?
    TheStook wrote:
    I really liked Andrea in Season 2, now she's just a delirious hornbag.

Man she was way worse in season 2. At least now she's not trying to divide the group, give young children the means to commit suicide or make an insanely difficult headshot after barely learning how to pick up a rifle and missing killing Daryl by millimeters :p

And she acts so smug all the time, like she's actually worth a damn, but the only way she's managed to survive is through sheer luck.

• Advertisement

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Or if you're actually interested in gaining further insight you could, I don't know, do some research in an area that isn't fiction?

You could if you wanted :rolleyes:

I suggested Winters Bone because the fictional rednecks depicted are very similar to the fictional rednecks depicted in The Walking Dead.

Of course if you just came to the thread to make a smart remark and not actually offer anything to the episode discussion, I guess thats your prerogative, baffling though it seems to me, some people do just like to play the keyboard warrior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

You could if you wanted :rolleyes:

I don't really care to fight the cause tbh, referencing fiction is just a pet hate of mine.
    Of course if you just came to the thread to make a smart remark and not actually offer anything to the episode discussion, I guess thats your prerogative, baffling though it seems to me, some people do just like to play the keyboard warrior.

I did that, unfortunately as you were writing your post it seems.

OctavarIan wrote: »
    I did that, unfortunately as you were writing your post it seems.

Ah I see. You did edit your post. Thanks for your insight. I dont like Andrea either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it'll come down to Carol - there's obviously a quiet, burgeoning love between her & Daryl, with the latter unable to come out and say how he feels. Merle will come along, the brothers will meet & initially a wedge will appear between Daryl and the Rickatorship, but it'll be something that happens to Carol that'll make him choose the group over Merle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The scene where Daryl was sitting outside the door where he thought Walker Carol was on the other side was brilliant. I'm hoping when Merle shows up Daryl isn't just going to go back to being the character he was at the start of Season 1 because his brother is back. I think they've done enough character development with him at this stage though to ensure that doesn't happen. For example the scene in Ep. 5 where he's in the playschool and sees the cut-out hand with 'Sofie' written on it. Also Merle is most likely to show up with a kill crew and the Governor so Daryl should hopefully end up pitted against him straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sarah42012

Really looking forward to seeing what happens with Daryl and Merle.
    I (like about 80% of other viewers )really wish Daryl had more screen time, easily one of the best characters!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I don't really see the case for Glenn shooting Merle. Sure , he was bad news in Atalanta. But being a racist hick isn't exactly cause for killing him on the spot. More to the point Rick went back for Merle, which means even Rick thought it wasn't right leaving him to die like that (hence, shooting him on sight would be a bit too much).

If Glenn had the viewers benefit of hindsight then for sure he'd shoot him. As it stands i think it makes perfect sense. Other than the slightly poor execution of the scene. I'd have much preferred if Glenn and Maggie had lowered there weapons briefly when Glenn realised it was Merle, as it happened with raised weapons it's a bit far fetched for Merle to get the jump on them.

Wasn't so sure about "Neils" super quick transformation from peeing his pants to 'lets go after Michonne'.

Another high quality episode in a season of high quality. I was worried, like others, that the pinnacle of the Lori/T-Dog episode would overshadow the season. That it was too good too soon and everything else would feel slow and steady. Those fears long gone, even the slower episodes have so much going on compared to previous seasons.

Wasn't so sure about "Neils" super quick transformation from peeing his pants to 'lets go after Michonne'.
    I think it's fairly well documented that watching comrades die can have an incredibly polarizing effect on some soldiers during war. Some turn into quivering wrecks, others experience blood-lust.

Sleepy wrote: »
    I think it's fairly well documented that watching comrades die can have an incredibly polarizing effect on some soldiers during war. Some turn into quivering wrecks, others experience blood-lust.

true but for both things to happen in the space of 10 minutes?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I don't really see the case for Glenn shooting Merle. Sure , he was bad news in Atalanta. But being a racist hick isn't exactly cause for killing him on the spot. More to the point Rick went back for Merle, which means even Rick thought it wasn't right leaving him to die like that (hence, shooting him on sight would be a bit too much).

Big difference between the Rick we know now and the Rick that tried to save Merle in season 1. Rick now, wouldn't hesitate for a second to kill Merle, I think.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Big difference between the Rick we know now and the Rick that tried to save Merle in season 1. Rick now, wouldn't hesitate for a second to kill Merle, I think.

If Rick felt Merle threatened his safety and that of the group, i'd agree, no hesitation. But the last Glenn saw of Merle he was still a relatively harmless racist hick...... difficult to find a reason to justify Glenn just shooting him on the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

true but for both things to happen in the space of 10 minutes?!

I think since he'd just killed the zombie attacking Merle, he got a rush from it. And just wanted to kill more.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭fitz

Bear McCreary is playing an absolute blinder this season.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Just watched it...

-Looking forward to the Darryl vs Merle dilemma.

-Phone call, I hoped there was actually someone on the other end of the line. but I do like how the plot hook allowed Rick to come to terms with what has just happened to him. We may not like Lori but she was the centre of his world.

-Andrea, yes she seems to make bad decisions but that it from our point of view. I think Andrea's character was fully in control of her successful life before the zombie plague. (Wasn't she a lawyer or similar?) Since then she has not adjusted very well to the new world. I took her need to learn how to shoot as a control method. She saw Lori with a lover, then a return from the dead husband, being the Alpha female. Andrea perhaps yearned for the time before. So in Woodbury how could she not get sucked into the need to be part of a 'normal' community once again?

-Michonne, I feel was a nut job before the plague changed the world.

-Carol, can't see how they wouldn't have checked that door. If it was locked yeah leave it for later. But it was ajar and openable, a possible open door with walkers on your line of retreat? Madness.

-Confrontation; How many men does the Gov actually have? They say there are approx 70 in the community. We have seen about 6-8 tough guys. (Thinking back to the army ambush) 2 of them have been taken out by Michonne. I can't see Olympic bow girl being up to a fight with Rick and Co. Granted Woodbury has the better equipment (Thank you US army)
    I can already picture that large Army truck crashing thought the wire fence of the prison.

Tenger wrote: »
    -Carol, can't see how they wouldn't have checked that door. If it was locked yeah leave it for later. But it was ajar and openable, a possible open door with walkers on your line of retreat? Madness.
    This was my only real problem with the episode. I get that they wanted to raise the tension and draw out the suspense etc. but it was clumsy and out-of-character for them to ignore it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Sleepy wrote: »
    This was my only real problem with the episode. I get that they wanted to raise the tension and draw out the suspense etc. but it was clumsy and out-of-character for them to ignore it...

Agreed. However, I really liked the scene where Daryl knows it's probably walker Carol in there, and he is out in the corridor with the knife trying to build himself up to drive her own knife into her face.

Awesome scene!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I can see it coming to a point where Darryl will have to chose between the group and his brother. I'd say he kills his brother and chooses the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I can see it coming to a point where Darryl will have to chose between the group and his brother. I'd say he kills his brother and chooses the group.
    But probably not before a momentary lapse in judgement where he sides with his long lost brother. Maybe Merle will threaten Carol and that's when Darryl will step in and handle business!

But probably not before a momentary lapse in judgement where he sides with his long lost brother. Maybe Merle will threaten Carol and that's when Darryl will step in and handle business!

Absolutely agree - lets face it, Merle has charm!! Definitely going to be a long lost bro-mance turned bro-down!

Absolutely agree - lets face it, Merle has charm!! Definitely going to be a long lost bro-mance turned bro-down!

Redneck bro-mance?!! There's a name for that starting with I and ending in cest!! :p

Redneck bro-mance?!! There's a name for that starting with I and ending in cest!! :p

Come on!! There has to be some brotherly redneck love when they meet again!!!

Come on!! There has to be some brotherly redneck love when they meet again!!!

True though my interpretation of Daryll-Carl heart-to-heart is that there is lingering resentment from Daryll. Just got the vibe that when Merle was around life was difficult for him and his mother.

So yeah i could see the initial buzz of finding out your dead brother is alive being great, but it will end in blood!

True though my interpretation of Daryll-Carl heart-to-heart is that there is lingering resentment from Daryll. Just got the vibe that when Merle was around life was difficult for him and his mother.

So yeah i could see the initial buzz of finding out your dead brother is alive being great, but it will end in blood!

100% agree!!

What a bro-down its gonna be. Theyre both as tough as old boots. I wouldnt fancy getting the head punched off me by Merle!!!

100% agree!!

What a bro-down its gonna be. Theyre both as tough as old boots. I wouldnt fancy getting the head punched off me by Merle!!!

ha i wouldnt fancy a crossbow between the eyes either from Daryll!

• Advertisement

ha i wouldnt fancy a crossbow between the eyes either from Daryll!

I know!! This thread is just making me excited with the anticipation of it!!

If Rick felt Merle threatened his safety and that of the group, i'd agree, no hesitation. But the last Glenn saw of Merle he was still a relatively harmless racist hick...... difficult to find a reason to justify Glenn just shooting him on the spot.

This is a guy who's spent time in a military prison for the violent assault of a superior. Not what I'd call harmless.

John_D80 wrote: »
    This is a guy who's spent time in a military prison for the violent assault of a superior. Not what I'd call harmless.

Peoples past lives dont mean a lot now in the new world. What has he done in front of Glenn, or that Glenn knows about, that would make him want to shoot him dead on the spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Last time Glenn saw Merle was when he was one of the group who left him handcuffed to the roof of a building, so Glenn should be pretty cautious.

Peoples past lives dont mean a lot now in the new world. What has he done in front of Glenn, or that Glenn knows about, that would make him want to shoot him dead on the spot?

I never s said anything about shooting him dead. just merely contradicted your point that glen would see merle as harmless. If he was so harmless why did glen pull a gun on him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sarah42012

Wonder if they are going to explain in the next episode who was looking at them from the woods earlier on?
    And who killed the deer and laid out its heart etc to attract the walkers, or was it the black inmate that attacked them in the generator room?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭PeterStrauss The Second

sarah42012 wrote: »
    Wonder if they are going to explain in the next episode who was looking at them from the woods earlier on?
    And who killed the deer and laid out its heart etc to attract the walkers, or was it the black inmate that attacked them in the generator room?

Yup it was him, Andrew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭titchy

I agree, I can't see Darryl being happy that Merle has taken Glen and Maggie, and I can't see Darryl thinking too long about where his loyalties lie.

Plus a fight against Darryl Dixon (even if it is Merle) wont last very long:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

88 wrote: »
    lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala
    lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala
    lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalal
    alalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala
    lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala
    lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala

jesus spoilers this is the episode 6 thread,

heres the episode 7 thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056816754

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Long day; post deleted & moved to right thread. Cheers.

Advertisement