Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comic Book Discussion (Spoilers!!!)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Different camp - there in Alex with Rick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Different camp - there in Alex with Rick

Ah you're right, forgot about that. Thought it was Maggie they confronted in the house but it was Andrea. Damn location changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

maximoose wrote: »

At last

I'm re-reading the series at the moment and something really small is bothering me - none of them know what date it is. All the cars they've driven, houses they've been in, shops they've scavenged and they haven't come across a single clock/watch that has the ability to tell the date? Small point but an annoying one all the same.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Stuff below based on the June 2015 issue #142.

OK, so it looks like things are unravelling a bit for them now after Maggie hanged the old leader who tried to kill her (name escapes me at the minute) and with Rick/Michonne/Andrea going to look for Carl that'll probably stir up trouble though. I wonder will the leader of the whisperers who has shown up at the fair think that Rick's crowd will be easy pickings for their large group, or perhaps she might think that they are worth making proper contact and peace with given how they have rebuilt a more normal community.

I'm guessing Negan will come to the fore again soon though and actually play an important role helping them to defend themselves and do what needs to be done, probably against the whisperers I'd imagine, as they are not going to introduce that new large group and have them ultimately be benign.

5starpool wrote: »
    Stuff below based on the June 2015 issue #142.

OK, so it looks like things are unravelling a bit for them now after Maggie hanged the old leader who tried to kill her (name escapes me at the minute) and with Rick/Michonne/Andrea going to look for Carl that'll probably stir up trouble though. I wonder will the leader of the whisperers who has shown up at the fair think that Rick's crowd will be easy pickings for their large group, or perhaps she might think that they are worth making proper contact and peace with given how they have rebuilt a more normal community.

I'm guessing Negan will come to the fore again soon though and actually play an important role helping them to defend themselves and do what needs to be done, probably against the whisperers I'd imagine, as they are not going to introduce that new large group and have them ultimately be benign.

I think his name was Gregory. He was a sloppy character anyway, never really liked him.

Negan needs to come back in to it, I thought they dragged out the initial Negan storyline way too long, but I miss his antics in the comic now!

Gregory, that's it. I'm awful with names.

Ya, if Negan wasn't coming back into it in a more meaningful way than sitting in a cell for years he would have been killed off. He's far from done as a storyline I reckon. Either he'll end up redeemed (somewhat at least) or else he'll revert to type after getting free and take back control of the Saviours somehow.

Gregory, that's it. I'm awful with names.

Ya, if Negan wasn't coming back into it in a more meaningful way than sitting in a cell for years he would have been killed off. He's far from done as a storyline I reckon. Either he'll end up redeemed (somewhat at least) or else he'll revert to type after getting free and take back control of the Saviours somehow.

Ha I'm not sure I want to see a redeemed version of Negan, he was great the way he was!

• Advertisement

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Ha I'm not sure I want to see a redeemed version of Negan, he was great the way he was!

He was, but there is only so long a psychpathic, barb-wire-bat-wielding maniac will last in these things. If he goes straight back into old Negan he'll last 1 more story arc.

I wonder are we in for the ultimate TWD plot twist of killing Rick off which might lead the way for Negan to do things his way with the entire group? Unlikely, but would be a hell of a direction to go in. Rick with his 1 hand and gammy leg isn't that much of a physical asset anymore anyhow. There are only so many times you can introduce new groups who they have a war against. We haven't actually seen anyone in real peril from a walker in a while either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Anyone watch the new True Detective? Bloke in it looks like he'd be perfect to play Ezekiel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Just read the latest issue...holy mother of god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

There will be some revenge had now!

I don't know how they're going to do it but this HAS to somehow tie in with Negans release? Are we looking at some form of brutal collaboration? Surely Negan cannot be ignored!!

Speaking of which, what ever happened to Lucille? I'd love to see a full page Negan/Lucille reconciliation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I don't know how they're going to do it but this HAS to somehow tie in with Negans release? Are we looking at some form of brutal collaboration? Surely Negan cannot be ignored!!

Speaking of which, what ever happened to Lucille? I'd love to see a full page Negan/Lucille reconciliation!
    I think Dwight has Lucille. She is definitely still around. My guess Negan's hatred of rape and the fact Alpha allowed her own daughter be raped repeatedly would give Negan the urge to help wipe the Whisperers/rapists out. Negan would hate them even more than he hates Rick. Alpha would be a common enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

That was great.

I wonder how Michonne will react to that. And poor Eugene :pac:

Interesting in the Letter Hacks, they announced Telltale are doing a 3-episode game based on Michonne's time away - Was announced at E3 but I missed it apparently, looking forward to that.

I think Dwight has Lucille. She is definitely still around. My guess Negan's hatred of rape and the fact Alpha allowed her own daughter be raped repeatedly would give Negan the urge to help wipe the Whisperers/rapists out. Negan would hate them even more than he hates Rick. Alpha would be a common enemy.

I agree totally. Surely the only reason Negan was kept around is that at some stage Rick would be forced to accept his help in dealing with something. Maybe when they deal with this common enemy Negan can go back to being a figure of hate for Rick. My own personal view is that at some point
    Negan will save Carl's life and Rick will be indebted to him, which would be a serious mindf*** for him
    !

I'm still taking in what happened in that issue...can't get my head around it at all :pac:

So, nothing really happened in 145. Weird episode.

So, nothing really happened in 145. Weird episode.

Yeah there's more & more issues like that over the last year or so, and they always end with the letters section where Sean & Robert are commenting saying "Oh man, there's so many big things coming, wait til you see what we have in store for you..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Looks like Rick is ****ed. In one comic, he has confessed to finally being happy, and the last thing he said to his son as he left was I love you. Is this not what happens right before you get killed off?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Looks like Rick is ****ed. In one comic, he has confessed to finally being happy, and the last thing he said to his son as he left was I love you. Is this not what happens right before you get killed off?

It's between death or a tragedy that will completely mess him up for awhile.

Death would.make more sense though.

Ah I don't know, they seem to have decided a while ago that Rick is invincible. Carl could be a goner though. Or Andrea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Ah I don't know, they seem to have decided a while ago that Rick is invincible. Carl could be a goner though. Or Andrea.

It could be Rick, but i think him and Negan will have a mutual respect / we need each other moment before that happens

I don't think Rick cares if it was Andrea, he would be upset but I don't think it would be the dramatic death needed to move the story in a certain direction. Carl's death would kill him as a character so if he is invincible, that would be too much. Michonne would really f him up.

Andrea for safety, Michonne for a real head bender.

Will episode 150 have a big death in it like Glenn in 100 or is that too predictable? I said a while back that they might take the ultimate swerve of killing Rick off and maybe Negan steps in to take over but in a more measured way than he was in the past. I don't think they would go that way, or if they did Negan would be dead before too long, but it would be something very different anyhow.

I went back to the start of the Alexandria story arc and making my way through them, partially because I've forgotten what happens, and partially because I want to see how close the current TV arc stays to the comics, but it's funny how small Carl is in the comics at this point. Rick says it was about 14 months (he thinks) since the start of the outbreak by the time they get to Alexandria, which obviously the TV Carl couldn't replicate in terms of aging.

Issue 148 last page

Not surprising really. I assume it will backfire in some way, but he's too good a character to waste in jail. Looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I think fans are hoping for his redemption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

My wife got me compendium 3 for Christmas so I got through it over the weekend.

Best so far imho.

Really like Negen and Im hoping that a big character suffers the same fate as Glenn.

The whisperers I'm not too sure about. On one hand it's cool that they could be anywhere and unseen, on the other I don't get how they managed to lure so many people out to do away with them given the timeline followed in the comic with the fair and the length of time Rick and Coral were in their clutches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Issue #150
    Well that was rubbish anyway. Was expecting something big to go down, but don't think Rick killing in a zombie like manner really qualifies. Is it my imagination or has he killed like that before? Have a vague recollection he killed like that during the prison arc.

Really need Negan to get out of that cell to liven it up a bit.

• Advertisement

He killed someone like that in the TV show anyhow when him and Carl were captured by the Claimers that found Daryl. I can't remember if he did something similar in the comics though. I'm not sure why the dude he killed this episode didn't come back and eat him though, didn't look like he could have defended himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

He did in the comic first also to stop
    Karl being raped
    because I remember the thread here at the time, people were waiting for it in the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Decent episode (#151) after the hyped and big let down of "milestone issue" #150
    The voice on the radio the comic is copying the Tv show now

Decent episode (#151) after the hyped and big let down of "milestone issue" #150
    The voice on the radio the comic is copying the Tv show now

I have an awful memory for these details. When did something like this happen in the tv show?

I have an awful memory for these details. When did something like this happen in the tv show?

(1) When they heard Terminus Broadcast on the car radio in Season 4a.
    also
    (2) When Eugene cried "help" on walking talkie Season 6a(sort of)? ;)

Ah ya I remember both of those, was wondering if I forgot anything else. Interesting to see if they have some other group nearby that they don't know about (which I'd be sceptical of) as the range of the radio can't be great surely, or if they are going to have a group from far away with some potentially exciting thing they have to be cautious of believing again.

Sadly it's probably someone at the bloody hilltop or some crap though.

On a good note, it looks like Rick is very close to letting Negan out, so I don't think it'll be long. Surely he won't ask him to go back and take over his old group again or to take over the training of the army? That would be mental.

I presumed it is either them talking to themselves (another group that they are already linked too), Eugene has lost it and is talking to himself, or the whisperers are clever but then again the mother had walked around and seen the place so that would be unnecessary.

I suppose the fact that is coming across on a ham radio, seems to me that it should be someone near enough, at best a few miles away but realistically, within a 3 mile radius.

Is there anyone left reading the comic or what? :pac:

Great to see Negan back on the loose and doing what he does best...killing with a smile on his face! Interesting to see how be approaches the Whisperers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I was just wondering why I stopped today, the last thing I read was Rick cutting Negans throat, can someone tell me what number that was please?

125 it seems. Here is the summary for that episode.

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Issue_125

Bought this and read it earlier, it's a cool little spin-off story, the first time Kirkman has let someone else play in his zombie-filled sandpit. Good story, superb artwork. And you can pay whatever the hell you want for it!

http://www.thewalkingdead.com/the-walking-dead-the-alien-is-out-now/

Is anyone still reading? I've stuck with it & I'm enjoying Negan back in the spotlight, he's definitely the best character they've had in the comic. It'll be interesting to see what happens with him now the Saviours are rejecting the community since Dwight left.

Ya, still reading. Hard to know where they'll go with it though. I assume Rick or Carl's life will be in real danger, but I can't see either of them dying though. Probably not Michonne or Andrea either, although one of them or Jesus is a possibility I reckon. Negan simply can't die yet either or it'll be so underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Negan is more interesting than Rick, so although it's probably not going to happen Negan killing Rick and then taking over - with the turmoil that would cause internally - would be great from my POV. As I'm finding Rick boring now.

I never saw Alpha getting her head cut off coming either, but despite the 'Whisperer War' I reckon the real danger lurks at the other end of the radio!

• Advertisement

They've opened the door for him to rejoin the Saviours but that might be too obvious. Unless they went down the line of Negan facing off against them to retake control. Maybe they could become a threat to Rick et al & that's the next war with Negan on Rick's side this time? Who knows. You could definitely have an offshoot comic just following Negan, he's that good a character.

Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to the TV show coming back to see what they do with him in it, and also to see who was the victim after that godawful cliffhanger finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I was a bit upset at the way they offed Gabriel. I think he was starting to develop into somewhat of a more interesting character, and the religious background could have been used to show his conflict between what he must do as a survivor and his questions of WWJD a lot in the future. It was even by TWD standards a pretty gruesome departure though.

Really looking forward to Negan v Beta in the next issue. Not that here is pretty much any doubt in this case but that Beta's name soon will be mud.

I agree with Okon that the looming biggest bad is Eugene's ham radio girl from Ohio. I think this was very much foreshown by their response when Eugene revealed their (I mean Alexandria, Hilltop, Kingdom and Saviors combined) numbers to them.

The radio conversation will likely result in yet another threat against a different group, but I think the next way the arc should go is to somewhere with more hope and a glimmer of civilisation outside of the area they know. I think if it turned out that the Ohio people (or wherever they actually might be) are another group that will threaten them, it'll just become another in the series of meeting ever more powerful groups to defeat, of which the latest are the whisperers.

It is like a 90's computer game nearly with harder bosses at the end of every level. I'd love to see it take a very different twist in some other direction, and this Ohio group be part of a much larger equivalent of what they have already with their different settlements, and somehow they get involved in that. It's probably unlikely there are many big settlements around, and the conversation to date doesn't feel like it will be that, but it'd be better than some other big mean group who want to kill them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

So, I'm enjoying the Whisperers arc (also, R.I.P Lucille), but I do agree with the post above. The bit between the war with The Saviors and The Whisperers was actually a nice change of pace, showed that it can be more than just constant threats. I feel like the radio won't lead to a conflict, but maybe the survivors of both settlements banding together to make the area between them and around them safe from Walkers and properly rebuild (and with someone like Eugene, that is possible). I think that would be way nicer then just another war where, once again, Rick's group face overwhelming odds and somehow come out on top!

that would be an incredibly boring storyline to write and maintain interest in though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement