Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I have some advice on this WC setup

Options
  • 19-11-2012 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 54,389 ✭✭✭✭

Basically im not to sure what is up with my pump+res

So im getting this horrible noise out of the pump

Now I have a lot of very small bubbles in the tubes (see arrows)

2enyiad.jpg

As you can see from the youtube vid that humming is pretty bad, now iv read that people are complaining about noise on the XSPC 750 res/pump combo. But im unsure about my one in terms of will the noise getting better eventually after the bubbles pass thru or is there more to this?

My current temps (no load) and have been cooler thou....

vfaShl.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Video doesnt give us a huge amount, would be better off with the leds off and a proper light source near the case.

Not a WC head myself but a bit of spitballing:
    Is the res mounted well? If its not it may vibrate off the case and increase noise.
    Did you do proper procedure to remove all air?
    Cant see the water level, but it needs to be a bit above the intake on the pump. Its good to leave a little air at the top too to allow for expansion(or so I've heard).

If a pump is struggling it'll be noisy, is does it have a huge amount of work to do?(doesnt look like it from the pic).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've got a good idea of the sound, but I can't actually see what's going on with the water flow to the pump there. I can see some twinkling light where I think the inlet to the pump is, and what would signify and air bubble, so it could just be what it has to bleed out.

If you pinch the tube close to the inlet (for 1-2 sec.) does that dislodge the air?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,389 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ya lads its the pump, so special tech have sent me out a new one today

lol this wc is taking the piss at this stage

You going to swap out the pump yourself, or?

Serephucus wrote: »
    You going to swap out the pump yourself, or?

Ill see how it goes tbh

Ill read up about it and take it from there

Seems easy to bleed it thou, just put a barb on the end of tube and insert into the res cap and bleed

• Advertisement

Well, it depends where in the res. If it's at the top, the water's not going to go anywhere. If it's at the bottom, as soon as you unscrew something you'll have water pouring everywhere.

Easiest thing is to just move whatever has the most slack outside the case over a bucket, and unscrew a barb.

Well, it depends where in the res. If it's at the top, the water's not going to go anywhere. If it's at the bottom, as soon as you unscrew something you'll have water pouring everywhere.

Easiest thing is to just move whatever has the most slack outside the case over a bucket, and unscrew a barb.

the res opening is on top so its handy enough

Ill have to get a spare barb 1/2 thou

After the bleeding is there anything else I need to do?

Ok, but what I'm saying is, if the opening is in the top, and you put a tube in there, all you're going to have is a res with water in it, and a tube sticking up. If you then tipped the res over, into a bucket or something, that would work.

It's not rocket surgery, just... get the water out somehow. :P

Ok, but what I'm saying is, if the opening is in the top, and you put a tube in there, all you're going to have is a res with water in it, and a tube sticking up. If you then tipped the res over, into a bucket or something, that would work.

It's not rocket surgery, just... get the water out somehow. :P

im not that bad, that was the plan. I want to know is there anything special I have to do after installing the new pump?

Nope, fill res, turn on for a few seconds until res is empty, turn off, fill again, turn on for a few seconds, etc. until full. Leave for a few hours to leak test (basically been done already), then check every few days and top up res as necessary.

• Advertisement

Nope, fill res, turn on for a few seconds until res is empty, turn off, fill again, turn on for a few seconds, etc. until full. Leave for a few hours to leak test (basically been done already), then check every few days and top up res as necessary.

Thanks very much Serephucus

I have to give credit to specialtech btw, yes the pump turned out crap but they have sent out a new one today and once I receive it I can send back the bad one

Good customer service there

Headshot wrote: »
    I have to give credit to specialtech btw, yes the pump turned out crap but they have sent out a new one today and once I receive it I can send back the bad one

Good customer service there

Told ya! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Glad to hear you're getting back on track with this Headshot. If all this had happened to me on my first attempt at watercooling I probably would have fecked the lot on Adverts. I can't see myself going back to air now.

Specialtech forgot to send the barbs i ordered, so they're not perfect, but I only got those as extras so it wasn't a massive issue. WCUK were a lot slower to dispatch my order than Specialtech so I'll be sticking with them in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I followed this guide last time I had to drain my CPU loop to clean it out . I actually drained the system the way Linus did and it was so easy .

Ordered stuff from WCUK myself. That got dispatched today. The Specialtech stuff didn't though, still waiting on that to move. Will post back with experiences of both when stuff arrives. Hopefully stuff goes alright for you Headshot.

Edit: @Smiley, he can't do that, as (AFAIK) there isn't enough spare tube to start cutting.

Yeah, that's fine (though more effort). Just be mindful of the fact that that's not going to get all the water out. Depending on how the tubing is done, you might still have slight U-bends where water will sit, so you'll want to pop a tube off and blow through it or something. That, or put kitchen paper all over the place when you go to actually pull the tubing apart.

Yeah, that's fine (though more effort). Just be mindful of the fact that that's not going to get all the water out. Depending on how the tubing is done, you might still have slight U-bends where water will sit, so you'll want to pop a tube off and blow through it or something. That, or put kitchen paper all over the place when you go to actually pull the tubing apart.

If you do spill water on the parts , just put the parts in the hot press for a week in a bag with some dry long grain at the end of the bag . I did that with a laptop and it worked except it had vodka and red bull spilled on it .

Headshot has been without a computer for a long time already, I doubt he wants his computer in the hot-press for a week. :P

Does all the water have to come out?

• Advertisement

Technically, no. Practically, just enough so that none drips/splashes/whatever on components, which usually means all, or as much as makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

sorry I wasn't around yesterday, had some rl problems.

you won't need to use a barb.

remove GPUs and sound card. HDDs too seeing as they're quick release and just to be safe. cover the motherboard in lots of kitchen roll. stuff costs €2 and board costs 140, so don't skimp out.

remove the DVD drive, then the 2 screws holding in the res. it can be slid forward a few cm. unscrew the filler cap, and tilt forward over a bucket to drain it.

there is going to be loads of water in the rad too, so once its drained, put the filler cap back on, and lean the case in the opposite direction or whatever it takes to get the water flowing through the tube back into the res from the rad.

rinse and repeat

it may sound complex but its not too difficult. I hope I'm explaining it right?

once you got 99% water out, you can start to remove the tubing from the res. the clamps are very tight, you might need some long nose pliers to get them off. tube should be able to be decoupled just by pulling it hopefully.

I've no idea how to take apart the res to put in a new pump. it was pre assembled. I didn't spend much time looking over how it worked. are they sending just a pump or the whole res/pump?

take your time anyway. if you've any questions throw them up here as you go along.

They are just sending me a new pump. I was hoping just to beable to take out the dual bay (res+pump) without taking the tubing out but I dont think that's possible with the tubes

Thanks tea for the advice

Hey btw when you were monitoring the temp of my cpu. did core 1 ever jump out at ya for always being higher than others?

For example
    h5a4p.png

I know its not a big difference but just wondering all the same

Yup, it happens. Mine read 36, 36, 38, 34.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

im on 24, 31, 25, 26.

Some great news they sent me a whole new dual bay

Now that should make life easier

Headshot wrote: »
    Some great news they sent me a whole new dual bay

Now that should make life easier

Thank god you got a full replacement . Looking forward to hearing that its working soon :D

Jebus tea bag tighten the **** out of the tubes. The 1st picture there. Where does the IN cpu tube go in the Bay? AFAIK it goes in the back of the motor

The outlet for the res dictacts the direction of water flow, so you want it to go from the res outlet (the one behind the pmp) to the inlet of the CPU block, to the outlet of the CPU block, to the radiator (whichever, doesn't matter), out of the radiator, and back into the res inlet (the one on its own, towards the left if looking from the back).

It's explained pretty well here.

• Advertisement

Great news I'm up and going and do you hear that? neither do I. The pump is a joy so far. I'll still let it run for a few hours thou

Advertisement