Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda accused of rape in station.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

This is a Garda using his power to abuse and rape a vulnerable teenager who went to him for help. I hope he is kicked from the force, he does not deserve to keep his job.

http://www.herald.ie/news/garda-accused-of-rape-in-station-3295669.html
    If he is guilty I hope you mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Hold on a sec OP the important word in that article is "allegedly"

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I hope he is kicked from the force, he does not deserve to keep his job.

Before this turns into a complete trainwreck, please remember that in this country there is the presumption of innocence unless proven guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Accused

You've clearly decided upon his guilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Happened in 2010 but that article was written Friday... why hasn't it been seen before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Oh my god - and the girl was seeking to report a sexual assault, and the prick of a guard that she went to to report it went and allegedly raped her :eek:
    There are actually no words :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Is the OP libellous from Boards.ie's perspective? He's innocent until proven guilty, and the OP claims otherwise.

Oh my god - and the girl was seeking to report a sexual assault, and the prick of a guard that she went to to report it went and raped her :eek:

Easy... hasn't been found guilty! Just accused.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Oh my god - and the girl was seeking to report a sexual assault, and the prick of a guard that she went to to report it went and raped her :eek:

Yes there are. The word is allegedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Where To wrote: »
    If he is guilty I hope you mean.

"The garda has been suspended from duty, but is still on full pay. He has been ordered not to have contact with his alleged victim. Sources say that, even if the DPP decides not to press charges in the case, the garda will “most likely” be sacked from the force"

If he is guilty yes but can't see him keeping the job.

• Advertisement

"The garda has been suspended from duty, but is still on full pay. He has been ordered not to have contact with his alleged victim. Sources say that, even if the DPP decides not to press charges in the case, the garda will “most likely” be sacked from the force"

If he is guilty yes but can't see him keeping the job.

That line about losing his job regardless of the criminal case is strong. Does this mean he has admitted to consensual sex?

Zaph wrote: »
    Before this turns into a complete trainwreck, please remember that in this country there is the presumption of innocence unless proven guilty.

I edited, should have put in allegedly in the beginning. I know innocent until proven guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

That line about losing his job regardless of the criminal case is strong. Does this mean he has admitted to consensual sex?

I doubt it tbh.

Yes there are. The word is allegedly.

There - edited :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Certainly wouldn't surprise me as people who are sexually abusive often put themselves in positions of power in order to put themselves above the law, gardai, judges, priests, nuns etc.

If this is true then the poor girl must be in bits, having been assaulted to go to gardai, difficult enough for anyone only to be raped by the Garda, the thought makes me physically sick. Also at the end of the article it says that another file has been sent to the DPP alleging that another gardai raped a girl in muster, seriously hope this isn't the beginning of a much bigger story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Disgusting abuse of power if these allegations are true.

Savage under any circumstance but truely horrific when he was dealing with the first assult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Look at everybody jumping on board with the Garda just because of a word.

How many of these 'alleged' cases are ever found to be false?

If it's true, and more than likely is, i hope he gets tortured to death. She comes for help and gets that? Sick ****er.
    allegedly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Generally the ones that no-one ever bothers to put in the papers.

"Garda did not rape anyone" doesn't make much of a headline.

That's not really the point though.

The point is that while this, if proven, is I agree a horrendous situation, everyone is entitled to be tried fairly and properly if accused of wrongdoing, not tried and convicted on the internet without a chance to speak in their own defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

except for sexual offences where the guy will be tarred for life and viewed with suspicion regardless of the outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Oh my god - and the girl was seeking to report a sexual assault, and the prick of a guard that she went to to report it went and allegedly raped her :eek:
    Well........

......there is the word 'allegedly'......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

OMG, Shocking if true.

It says there is a strong case against the individual.:-(

She was a teen victim of sex abuse:-(
    Poor girl.

Do they not have psychological testing for profiling for Guards?

And would is leaving a male guard alone with a female teen sex abuse victim be very common? If so that is worrying. Would they not have some chaperone?? Or at least a female guard too??

Even with an honorable guard I would imagine that the victim would feel uncomfortable.

And we just gave over more power to the state on cases like this .

The story is alleged still of course...

In light of this I am deeply concerned over the result of the children's ref and i voted yes:-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

except for sexual offences where the guy will be tarred for life and viewed with suspicion regardless of the outcome.

His identity is undisclosed.

That would help him nationally if he were innocent.

I am uncertain about his locality and his identity being known there.

Perhaps it would have been best not to release the fact that this happened in Meath??

We all want a fair trial.

If he is innocent...it should be reported ...

If guilty...I do not want the judge that gave a man who failed to pay tax on garlic and gave an attempted rapist a fine anywhere near him.....

This is a serious case ..if he is guilty ..IF...IF ...then it poses some serious questions for the guards and the way we handle these cases with minors etc ...:(:(:(:(:(:(....:(horrible

ALLEGEDLY ALLEGEDLY ALLEGEDLY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Stories about the Gardai are becoming all too common, some reform needs to take place there is too much 'alleged' corruption going on. Some are a lwa upon themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Must be a nightmare for his wife and kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I genuinely think I don't have an opinion on this one. Strange that. I can generally muster up something. The whole article is a bit vague.

Er.. I hope justice gets done.

Why are independent news the only ones carrying this story? That seems odd to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

So lets get this straight :-

1. If the allegation is true : that's horrendous and the criminal involved should be jailed for a very long time. My sympathies are with the victim at this terrible time. By the way all of the people in this thread looking to pursue their own [insert when known] agendas should be ashamed of themselves.

2. If the allegation is untrue : that's horrendous and the criminal involved should be jailed for a very long time. My sympathies are with the victim at this terrible time. By the way all of the people in this thread looking to pursue their own [insert when known] agendas should be ashamed of themselves.

Can somebody pm me to come back and edit this post whenever there has been a, what do you call it, 'investigation' followed by one of those 'criminal trial' thingummies during which a person has been found how do you say it again 'guilty or not guilty' ? That'd be awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

my first instinct here is that this is a really poorly written article,its like it was written by a 12 year old. writing like this, could actually be a reason that the case could be thrown out, even if he is guilty.

however, on the crime itself, if found guilty then he should be f8cked into jail for 10+ years , this is an absolutely horrific case. i dont think anybody should cast jusgement however, until full details are out. the man wasnt charged yet a "source" expects them later.....very strange thing to write.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Do they ever go to jail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Well this guys life is never going to be the same again. Even if it was a mallicious rumour and he was proved innocent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Remmy wrote: »
    Well this guys life is never going to be the same again. Even if it was a mallicious rumour and he was proved innocent.

I agree, look at the OP - "I hope he is kicked from the force, he does not deserve to keep his job". And this is before a trial!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

If these allegations turn out to be true, i would hope that a kicking from the force would be a start, thats a given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

omahaid wrote: »
    I agree, look at the OP - "I hope he is kicked from the force, he does not deserve to keep his job". And this is before a trial!

Ah sure it's guilty until proven innocent or something like that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Remmy wrote: »
    Ah sure it's guilty until proven innocent or something like that right?

Depends on your gender I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Martin Nolan wil just hit him with a fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

This is a Garda using his power to allegedly abuse and rape a vulnerable teenager who went to him for help. I hope he is kicked from the force, he does not deserve to keep his job.
    http://www.herald.ie/news/garda-accused-of-rape-in-station-3295669.html
    I edited to put in Allegedly.
    Sticking "allegedly" in there doesn't change that it looks like you're saying it really happened.
    Look at everybody jumping on board with the Garda just because of a word.

If it's true, and more than likely is, i hope he gets tortured to death. She comes for help and gets that? Sick ****er.
    allegedly
    F'ucking hell - "jumping on board with him because of a word" when we don't know that it actually happened? It's more than a word, it's the difference between it happening and not happening... and you know it. Nice of you to stick "allegedly" after your comment stating you're pretty much sure he did it. And putting spoiler tags around it too.

It's attitudes like the above that ruin an innocent person's life - shame on you. I'm so glad his name is not being disclosed. If it turns out he's guilty, I won't take a word of the above back. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that this could be a false accusation. It has happened. The fact such allegations are often true, doesn't change that. I'll never forget the heartbreaking sight of a man who worked as a teacher finally being exonerated after false accusations of sexual abuse, and bursting into tears on camera.

If this guy is guilty though, he deserves to go to a high security prison for a long time.
    "Tortured to death" - ****ing lol.

Madam_X wrote: »
    Sticking "allegedly" in there doesn't change that it looks like you're saying it really happened.

I know I should have put it there at the start and I apologise for my error. I would usually be the one defending a person accused until the facts were known.

There seems to be a strong case here and it's not often a member gets suspended unless there is some concern re allegations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

well what do you know? A bandwagon as fúcking usual for this alleged crime. nothing proven yet but great to see the brain dead witch hunters in action yet again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

What really annoys me about these cases is the whole 'ALLEGEDLY', Its not proved, she just said it, it's not proven.

Of course it's not proven till it goes through courts, we all know that, but why the huge wave to shout over everything 'ALLEGEDLY!!!!!!!!!!'

If some-one came forward and said a person pick pocketed on them street, would everyone shout 'well thats what they said, it's ALLEGEDLY!!!!'.

Because generally why would people make it up? Why on earth? And why is it always with rape cases that people are so obsessed with the word allegedly and not with other crimes? People generally dont make up detailed stories of crimes about them up. Why would you do it?

I sometimes think people automatically would rather believe it didn't happen because it is too horrible that comprehend that it did.

What really annoys me about these cases is the whole 'ALLEGEDLY', Its not proved, she just said it, it's not proven.

Of course it's not proven till it goes through courts, we all know that, but why the huge wave to shout over everything 'ALLEGEDLY!!!!!!!!!!'

If some-one came forward and said a person pick pocketed on them street, would everyone shout 'well thats what they said, it's ALLEGEDLY!!!!'.

Because generally why would people make it up? Why on earth? And why is it always with rape cases that people are so obsessed with the word allegedly and not with other crimes? People generally dont make up detailed stories of crimes about them up. Why would you do it?

I sometimes think people automatically would rather believe it didn't happen because it is too horrible that comprehend that it did.

I understand why the mods say it - fear of legal repercussions.
    But I really don't understand everyone else.
    In this case, I would give the girl the benefit of the doubt over the guard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Have to say I agree and I think it very much comes down to the gender of the individual.

A lot of men will instantly assume the accused is innocent and will defend their honour until proven guilty. When found guilty, some men will still deny it/question it/not want to believe it's true.

A lot of women will instantly assume the accused is guilty and want harsh or sadistic punishments.

Realistically, neither is right. It's not right to always defend accused rapists and sexual offenders as soon as you hear these cases. There's an attitude of desperately hoping the man isn't found guilty. There are cases of wrongly accused but they're in the minority. This is what a lot of people don't realise...they assume there's a witch hunt and everyones out to label people rapists. There are cases of false accusations and they make me sick and I think in those cases the "victim" should be punished. EDIT to clarify: On the other hand, it's not right to assume instantly without hearing any facts of the case that the accused is guilty.

I don't have any facts of this case so I cannot say this man is guilty and a horrible person and he should rot in hell etc.

However, if true, and I suspect it is, I hope he gets a proper sentencing. I suspect if found guilty he will get a suspended sentence. :(

Show Time wrote: »
    Martin Nolan wil just hit him with a fine.

If this man is found guilty and given a fine, I will absolutely get out in protest. I don't want to live in a country where rape and sexual assault (something that destroys people's entire lives) is seen as so small. I absolutely don't want to live in that country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

And why is it always with rape cases that people are so obsessed with the word allegedly and not with other crimes?
    You mean like murder, paedophelia and more... Yea it's only rape that people use it. And maybe it's because a false accusation can destroy someone's life.

You're awful angry recently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

smash wrote: »
    You mean like murder, paedophelia and more... Yea it's only rape that people use it. And maybe it's because a false accusation can destroy someone's life.

You're awful angry recently!

How many times do you see posters on here shout "Allegedly!!" if a story is posted about tax evasion, assault, robbery, theft? In a lot(/?most) of threads relating to murder cases it's the same.

It only seems to be paedophile, sexual assault and rape that have 90% of posters crying allegedly and for want of a better phrase "taking the side of the accused"

Have to say I agree and I think it very much comes down to the gender of the individual.

A lot of men will instantly assume the accused is innocent and will defend their honour until proven guilty. When found guilty, some men will still deny it/question it/not want to believe it's true.

A lot of women will instantly assume the accused is guilty and want harsh or sadistic punishments.

Realistically, neither is right. It's not right to always defend accused rapists and sexual offenders as soon as you hear these cases. There's an attitude of desperately hoping the man isn't found guilty. There are cases of wrongly accused but they're in the minority. This is what a lot of people don't realise...they assume there's a witch hunt and everyones out to label people rapists. There are cases of false accusations and they make me sick and I think in those cases the "victim" should be punished.

I don't have any facts of this case so I cannot say this man is guilty and a horrible person and he should rot in hell etc.

However, if true, and I suspect it is, I hope he gets a proper sentencing. I suspect if found guilty he will get a suspended sentence. :(

That's a great post with a good objective look at both genders. It's true, we do immediately empathise with our fellow gender in the story, I guess it's to try and look above that and look at the two as human beings, and as some-one said on the billion rising thread, rape done at all to anyone, - your fellow human being, is so sad to see. We are all human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

I understand why the mods say it - fear of legal repercussions.
    But I really don't understand everyone else.
    In this case, I would give the girl the benefit of the doubt over the guard.

Without hearing a shred of evidence and just on reading one single newpaper report?????

Lets hope you are never allowed near a jury. The investigation is ongoing.

If this man is found guilty and given a fine, I will absolutely get out in protest. I don't want to live in a country where rape and sexual assault (something that destroys people's entire lives) is seen as so small. I absolutely don't want to live in that country.

You already live there i'm afraid. So many offenders have been found guilty of sexual assaults that get small sentences or worse fines.

talla10 wrote: »
    Without hearing a shred of evidence and just on reading one single newpaper report?????

Lets hope you are never allowed near a jury. The investigation is ongoing.

I think she's basing this on the fact that the majority of people, past and present, don't just come out with this story out of nowhere.

True he's not guilty until proven so, we all know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Just think if that man was your brother/ husband/ friend. This isn't a run of the mill 'he stole my money' or 'he was done for drink driving'. Mud sticks and to be even accused of this, he will always be known as 'that' man.

We don't know the details of this case, god knows what happened, you or I certainly don't.

If it come out true, fair enough, he deserves everything he gets. But we have to wait and see.

I think she's basing this on the fact that the majority of people don't just come out with this story out of nowhere.

Why would you. What has she got to gain.

I havent a clue but so many people do allege false sexual assaults. I've never understood why but it still happens. Not that all or even most of such allegations are false i just think its important to be aware that false allegations have been made on numerous occasions.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement