Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen Issue

Options
  • 19-11-2012 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭

When I turn on my laptop I keep getting a white screen. If I start lifting the screen it'll turn on properly, but the images tend to freeze and flicker, and its difficult to use.

I brought my laptop to a store last week, they said it was the video lead and he placed it differently, but this hasn't worked. Is there anything I can do at home, or will I have to bring it back in? I really can't afford another €40.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    When I turn on my laptop I keep getting a white screen. If I start lifting the screen it'll turn on properly, but the images tend to freeze and flicker, and its difficult to use.

I brought my laptop to a store last week, they said it was the video lead and he placed it differently, but this hasn't worked. Is there anything I can do at home, or will I have to bring it back in? I really can't afford another €40.

It does sound like a loose or damaged video cable. Anyone with a philips screwdriver and a little bit of comfort opening the laptop should be able to work it out and fix it. What model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Its an Acer Aspire 5741.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

looks handy enough to take apart, even if it is a faulty cable you can pick one up on ebay for €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

If you paid €40 to shop last week then bring it back, these models can suffer wear on the tear on the screen cable and as poster said above they can be got cheaply on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

CTYIgirl wrote: »

acer laptops are notorious for screen problems... if it is still under warranty send it back for repairs... if not then you will need to replace the screen's ribbon cable and screen's internal power cable as these get frayed from opening and closing the laptop lid due to poor design... i suggest you take it to a laptop repair shop as it is a tricky repair if your not familiar with the process.

i've repaired 3 acer laptops due to this problem

• Advertisement
Advertisement