Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My first crash!

• 19-11-2012 6:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

So I was on the way home from work tonight. Windy, wet roads, rain had stopped but very greasy. Guy ahead of me in the bus lane (I was in the driving lane) and he pulled out into my path. I guess i hit the front brake a bit too hard and a bit to jerky but the front wheel locked and down went the bike and me...

I felt myself hitting the ground without too much impact or pain and things seemed to slow down enough for me to be conscious of what was happening. My left leg was trapped with the bike as I slid down the road and I thought to myself, ah feck I think my leg is probably going to get broken as the bike kind of overtook me and spun me around a small bit, but thankfully i came to a halt then and so did the bike. A taxi was behind me and he stopped straight away and shortly afterwards so did another. I sat up and then lay back down to assess whether I was hurt but felt fine and so got up. Fair play to the taximan who lifted up my bike for me and helped me push it off the road. The other taxi man waited a few minutes and after I insisted I was okay he headed off but was genuinely concerned. (One irish one african taximan).

Anyway, long story short, the bike needs a new clutch lever by the looks of things but not much else. I have an icepack on my knee which is stiffening up a bit but nothing else really.

Thank feck I had all my gear on. The first point of impact was the palm of my hand which was protected by my good gloves. Seems the next and most major point of contact was my right knee (not really sure how as the bike went down on its left side) and that was protected by my biking trousers. After that I noticed that all the leather on my left toe is badly scuffed up so luckily I'm not some trainer wearing biker.

Anyway, just said I'd post this up and sing the praises of always wearing the correct gear.

I'm blessed that I got away lightly in terms of injury to me and to my bike. And hopefully this will serve to ground me in my future biking life. Definitely won't turn me off biking though I can safely say.

Anyway, I'll open this up to the inevitable slagging now...

Cheers,

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Good that you came through it ok man . Rest that knee and then get back on that horse son

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Expect a lot more pain in the areas of impact, and probably elsewhere too....

Glad that you are well enough to be posting anyway.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Just blowing through the forum really but from experience (not on a motorbike mind), try and keep that knee elevated and rest it well.
    When falling putting your hand out does feel right but it's an easy way to break a wrist. On road bikes and skateboards when I fall I aim for my arm/shoulder and roll with it. I can see how that might not work with a motor bike coming down in you though. :p

Glad you're alright. I've seen enough horrible bike accidents between my uncles, cousins and brother in law.
    My mam says no motor bikes 'till I move out. Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Fcuk Eoin really sorry to hear that man, especially just starting out. But as you said you did not fear too badly but you might be very sore for a while. I was out yesterday all day and the roads were very bad alright.

Hopefully you are fully comp insurance wise and get sorted soon, if the damage is not that bad dont even claim unless you have step back protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Fcuk Eoin really sorry to hear that man, especially just starting out. But as you said you did not fear too badly but you might be very sore for a while. I was out yesterday all day and the roads were very bad alright.

There's only 2 types of bikers. The ones who have crashed and the ones yet to. If all our crashes could turn out so easy I'd be happy.

OP, be careful with the ice on your knee make sure it's rapped in something and only use for 10 min at a time. Don't put it behind the knee, there's an important nerve you can damage there with too much cold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Anyone you can walk away from etc etc.

cityspares or any other breakers for a lever.

solfadine for the pain :)

it's that time of year tho. feckin road in this morning was covered in ****ing wet leaves. take it easy out there folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, roads are really greasy at the moment. Almost prefer if it's lashing rain than this cold weather that doesn't allow the wet to evaporate so they just stay wet all day.
    Prick in the car pulling out in front of you though :mad:

Did you get his/her reg on the car, surely there is some liability there on behalf of the cage.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Did you get his/her reg on the car, surely there is some liability there on behalf of the cage.....

If there was no contact with the other vehicle, then there is no liability.
    They may have been a contributing factor, but that would be all, unless there was contact between the two vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Bus stops often have a load of oil around them as the buses drip all kinds of mung out of them.
    Glad you are OK, knowing how to crash is a skill in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Sorry to hear about the crash Eoin, glad its not serious.

Just curious- do you think this would have been avoided for sure if your bike had ABS, yeah? Still can't believe it's an option on bigger bikes, should be standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,349 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Good to hear you're ok OP. The first road accident I ever saw was a bike smash on leinster road, rathmines. Long time ago. There's a kink in the road at the harolds cross end that you'd hardly even notice if you were walking. Powerful bike went into a long skid, as did the rider, wearing runners, jeans and a t-shirt. Both ended up smashing into a wall. Saw the ambulance taking the guy away. There were streaks of blood along the road so vivid you could actually track the crash. Young guy. No idea if he survived, but he wasn't moving at the scene. I was 14 at the time. Still remember it clearly 25 years later.

Wear those leathers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

P.C. wrote: »

This is not correct, speaking from my legal experience.

Although it doesn't sound like the OP is going to pursue a claim. OP if you are even remotely considering a claim go to your GP immediately. You would also want to be examined by your GP to rule out any more serious damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

sorry to hear, at least your ok.

got knocked off few weeks ago my an aul fella, first 'off'.

happened on the howth road outside a shopping centre with about 20 people walking by.

only person to ask me was i ok was a woman. everyone just walked by and ignored me and my zxr pishing oil all over the road.

actually a kid about 12 came over to me after a few mins and asked was i ok and said he lived across the road, did i want a drink or anything..

cool kid..

to all the people that just kept walking as i was on the deck, fook you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Glad your ok Eoin!

Hope it doesn't take you too long to heal and get back on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Great to hear you're OK OP. :) Also nice to hear that the cars behind you weren't so far up your hole that they came at you, though Taxi's seem to keep distance better than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

kaimera wrote: »
    Anyone you can walk away from etc etc.

cityspares or any other breakers for a lever.

solfadine for the pain :)

it's that time of year tho. feckin road in this morning was covered in ****ing wet leaves. take it easy out there folks.

Where is this cityspares of which you speak?

Wonda, I didn't even get to see what type of car it was! Was trying to focus on what I was going to hit I suppose! While he could definitely be done for careless driving I don't really know about liability. Surely he would but I have no details so no chance!
    cojomo2 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the crash Eoin, glad its not serious.

Just curious- do you think this would have been avoided for sure if your bike had ABS, yeah? Still can't believe it's an option on bigger bikes, should be standard.

I really don't know man but quite possibly. Whatever was on the road allowed the front wheel to lock up immediately without gaining any traction sending me into the skid so maybe if the brakes had feathered themselves on a split second basis this wouldn't have happened...

Although it doesn't sound like the OP is going to pursue a claim. OP if you are even remotely considering a claim go to your GP immediately. You would also want to be examined by your GP to rule out any more serious damage.

Unfortunately there will be no way to trace the car or driver this time. I am however planning on getting a gopro for these exact situations. I'd imagine I'd have ample proof for a minor civil claim if I had one but alas I don't, so I don't!
    Think i'm well enough to stay away from the doc this time. Don't want him sending me to the hospital waiting room to be told what I already know!!

Cheers lads for all the good words.

Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Unfortunately there will be no way to trace the car or driver this time. I am however planning on getting a gopro for these exact situations. I'd imagine I'd have ample proof for a minor civil claim if I had one but alas I don't, so I don't!
    Think i'm well enough to stay away from the doc this time. Don't want him sending me to the hospital waiting room to be told what I already know!!

Cheers lads for all the good words.

Eoin

Well just bear in mind Eoin that if you were to reconsider taking a claim against the driver (he could probably be traced via cctv and witnesses) that the longer you leave seeking medical treatment the less likely you are to be successful, it would certainly be viewed that you had a chat with mates, thought there might be some cash in it for you and then decided to go to the doctor and have a moan to formulate a case - not questioning your character at all but this has been known to happen.

Bear in mind as well that it's usually the days following a hit that pain sets in, your body can only handle so much and it has been seen that 6-9 months after a serious accident a new complaint can present itself once the other more serious complaints have been treated and possibly resolved. Just keep an eye on yourself, you know yourself what you can cope with. Get well soon

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

They may have been a contributing factor, but that would be all, unless there was contact between the two vehicle.

So next time make sure you don't miss the car or you won't be covered. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

@OP. Sorry to hear about your crash. Hope you are not too sore.

Enjoy your bike shopping.

Pixiebean is correct, you don't need to have contact to for the other driver to be liable. You just need to be able to prove, with witnesses if necessary, that the other driver caused the accident.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yeah, roads are really greasy at the moment. Almost prefer if it's lashing rain than this cold weather that doesn't allow the wet to evaporate so they just stay wet all day.
    Prick in the car pulling out in front of you though :mad:

Well done...indeed.:eek:

You can say that when you dont actually know what exactly happened.

For all you now that car driver may have indicated out of the bus lane and it was down to a lack of judgement and experience from the biker with regards slowing down and braking on a dark and wet road.....

Bus lane is open to all traffic before 7am and after 7pm Monday-Saturday and all day Sunday.......unless its specificly stated as a 24 hour bus lane.

You really should start adding to your posts "In my humble opinion" P.C because you write posts in here like they are indeed fact.

I can tell you now you are wrong. Obviously each case is different, but a family member was judged to be 25% in the wrong by a judge in a court of law in a similar case with no actual contact only 3 yrs ago in an accident in Dublin city centre.

Just a heads up for other posters in here....:rolleyes:

So I was on the way home from work tonight. Windy, wet roads, rain had stopped but very greasy. Guy ahead of me in the bus lane (I was in the driving lane) and he pulled out into my path. I guess i hit the front brake a bit too hard and a bit to jerky but the front wheel locked and down went the bike and me...

I felt myself hitting the ground without too much impact or pain and things seemed to slow down enough for me to be conscious of what was happening. My left leg was trapped with the bike as I slid down the road and I thought to myself, ah feck I think my leg is probably going to get broken as the bike kind of overtook me and spun me around a small bit, but thankfully i came to a halt then and so did the bike. A taxi was behind me and he stopped straight away and shortly afterwards so did another. I sat up and then lay back down to assess whether I was hurt but felt fine and so got up. Fair play to the taximan who lifted up my bike for me and helped me push it off the road. The other taxi man waited a few minutes and after I insisted I was okay he headed off but was genuinely concerned. (One irish one african taximan).

Anyway, long story short, the bike needs a new clutch lever by the looks of things but not much else. I have an icepack on my knee which is stiffening up a bit but nothing else really.

Thank feck I had all my gear on. The first point of impact was the palm of my hand which was protected by my good gloves. Seems the next and most major point of contact was my right knee (not really sure how as the bike went down on its left side) and that was protected by my biking trousers. After that I noticed that all the leather on my left toe is badly scuffed up so luckily I'm not some trainer wearing biker.

Anyway, just said I'd post this up and sing the praises of always wearing the correct gear.
    I'm blessed that I got away lightly in terms of injury to me and to my bike. And hopefully this will serve to ground me in my future biking life. Definitely won't turn me off biking though I can safely say.

Anyway, I'll open this up to the inevitable slagging now...

Cheers,

Eoin

Glad to hear you are ok and also glad to see someone with sense here and that you have the right attitude towards biking and your own personal safety.:)

Take it on the chin,learn from the experience and move on with the biking.

You really should start adding to your posts "In my humble opinion" P.C because you write posts in here like they are indeed fact.

I can tell you now you are wrong. Obviously each case is different, but a family member was judged to be 25% in the wrong by a judge in a court of law in a similar case with no actual contact only 3 yrs ago in an accident in Dublin city centre.

MOD MAT ON:

1.) PLEASE DO NOT TELL PEOPLE HOW TO POST ON A FORUM
    2.) ATTACK THE POST, NOT THE POSTER.

MOD HAT OFF.

Legally you would probably have to take a civil case.
    You can win, but it would be hard to prove.

Handing it over to your insurance company is not going to get you anywhere.

Was it a civil case?

MOD MAT ON:

1.) PLEASE DO NOT TELL PEOPLE HOW TO POST ON A FORUM
    2.) ATTACK THE POST, NOT THE POSTER.

MOD HAT OFF.

Im sorry,but this has to be posted.........(being a moderator and all that):D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hkcZilKChI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Nope. I know of one case where rider swerved to avoid a car and dropped bike. No contact but drivers insurance company paid up. No court case. Rider is a member here, he might post up if he sees this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm afraid your still wrong on this. If the evidence points towards another car and insurance company with proof or witnesses, then your insurance company will pursue the claim. They are not in the business to pay for everything themselves.

This is why I have a camera mounted in my car. And why I should probably have a camera on the bike.

• Advertisement

Just a thought here...but surely a camera on the bike would be fcuk all use if it showed that you were speeding in any sort of way or acting the maggot on the bike..with regards road positioning before the accident???????

Surely you would be lambasted for that????

Advertisement