Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crashed on M18 Ennis Bypass

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

A tragic accident, My deepest sympathies with the family of that young woman.

Those mini slip ways at the barefield and the tulla exits of the M18 are absolutely lethal. How could any planning authority have signed off on that design.

I Hope they can do something to make them safer because they are accidents waiting to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Akrasia wrote: »
    A tragic accident, My deepest sympathies with the family of that young woman.

Those mini slip ways at the barefield and the tulla exits of the M18 are absolutely lethal. How could any planning authority have signed off on that design.

I Hope they can do something to make them safer because they are accidents waiting to happen

This had nothing to do with the slip roads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Drive by there as the first ambulance arrived, it was not something ill forget anytime soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

was that crash between Barefield and the Crusheen turnoff?
    What I noticed is that the car must have hit into the blunt end of the crash barrier.
    I notice that on the new Barefield to Gort bit, the start of the crash barriers do not rise gently, but have a blunt end with a yellow and black warning sign affixed to them.
    If you hit a crash barrier that rises, it is possible for the car to flip, but most likely it will just lift up and come to a stop on top of the barrier, but if you hit a crash barrier with a blunt end, you are done for.
    If this is the case, I would partially blame the design of the crash barrier.

Blunt:

230616.png

Rising:

230617.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭swoofer

a very valid point and worth noting, I had missed that and I use road quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I not going to post the pictures, but if you look up Clare County Fire and Rescue on Facebook there are 2 Photos of the scene. She apparently lost control and hit the center concrete barrier first and the turned around in the road and struck the end of the barrier as shown, a tragic freak accident which hopefully will make the authorities remove these from all motorways in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

ger664 wrote: »
    I not going to post the pictures, but if you look up Clare County Fire and Rescue on Facebook there are 2 Photos of the scene. She apparently lost control and hit the center concrete barrier first and the turned around in the road and struck the end of the barrier as shown, a tragic freak accident which hopefully will make the authorities remove these from all motorways in Ireland.

Just saw it alright, fairly tragic.

ger664 wrote: »

Remove what, the barriers? Wouldn't think that's a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Remove what, the barriers? Wouldn't think that's a good idea.

That particular type of barrier I'd imagine, see dr.fuzz's post.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That particular type of barrier I'd imagine, see dr.fuzz's post.

That was me. I was just wondering if ger664 meant remove all side barriers, while I'd be in favour of redesigning the blunt end to a sloped end.:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

That's a new type of barrier been used on motorways, it has a built in crash absorber, but I still wouldn't trust them, I ride a motorbike and would not rate my chances high if a hit this....

I never noticed these barriers until I read this thread on Friday. Then today I was on the M1 southbound and saw several of them.

Like the others, I send my condolences to family and friends of this young woman. Horrible. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

Another factor that day could have been the weather. I drove to Galway earlier that day and it was milling down and road was very wet and slippy. Took it handy, one hard brake and the car could have gone anywhere. Passed the accident on the way home, very sad, poor girl.

Advertisement