Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locksmiths. Oh and a plumber too...

Options
  • 19-11-2012 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Our wonderful front door in Charlesland, purveyor of fine draughts and stickiness, has decided not to play ball this morning and refuses to lock.... Damnable double lock handle mechanism thing is a royal pain in the royalties....

Rant over. Anyone got any recommendations for a locksmith, local or conglomerate? Pm me or post your experiences here please, wha' ever gets your message across.

Ditto for a plumber, need a tap fitted as the original passed on by the kitchen counter top (long story but a goog 'un none the less) company has sprung leaks. Little annoying ones all around the faucet were it connects to the tap bit. They kindly sent us on a replacement which sadly did not come with man to fit it.

Cheers in advance 'landians.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 joinerydivision

Hi there, I am a joiner/carpenter so happy to take a look, plus having lived in Charlesland I have had the same experience with my own doors!

Will send you a PM with details

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

A good dose of WD40 should unstick the lock etc for you... :) (Try it before paying up...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭.243

"plummer" here pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Christopher?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

Well okay then, few nice PM's from peoples in response and thanks for them. you 'landians (it might you know so I'll keep using it) are great for that I have to admit.

So.....

Rang a guy in Arklow, Colm Arundel (Accesskeys.ie), explained the scenario with the locking and the door swelling etc He shows up around the midday mark. Having already rang to excuse himself for another job running over and then to say he was actually on his way, a big plus in my book, and proceeds to investigate the lock strip on the door. Turns out that the strip had frozen due to a combination of things: Door not being hung true, fact that it's a wooden door and prone to expansion / contraction etc and my trying to force it after I had applied the WD40 REALLY had not helped the situation.

So after Colm's intial investigation I'm left with a few options.
    1 - replace lock strip (incl call out etc €185).
    2 - repair existing strip (€85)
    Or
    3 - Colm also offered a few other suggestions as alternatives and after a chat we decided on the following setup: Original Lock Strip repaired. Original handle lock changed to a thumb barrel mechanism. Fitted a new traditional front door latch AND he re-hung the front door. All told €190.

Now I don't know if that is good, bad, poxy, daylight or indeed highway robbery. All I know is that I am very happy with it all.

Still need a plumber though. And hopefully not Amanda.

• Advertisement
Advertisement