Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make Christmas more lively

Options
  • 19-11-2012 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi All,

This year we will only be a tiny group of 4 over 30s celebrating Christmas together. I'm entertaining and I would like to make this as happy an occasion as possible for my MIL who is sad that others of the family are not attending.

So you party people on boards how can I make Christmas somewhat fun. Loads of booz won't work as we're not really big drinkers.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

eggnog
    mulled wine
    i'm out of ideas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cjGJuDzpIY#t=5m33s

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hi there happydayz8,

I'd like to move this over to the Christmas forum. That forum is bubbling with all things Christmas. I am sure the posters there could assist you also since it's Christmassy related :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭happydayz8

Thanks kerry4sam!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

is it just christmas day you are worried about? or all over Christmas.

Christmas day is usually a boring day, so most people just sit around, prepare dinner, and veg out. it is still enjoyable - get some fun games in if you think there might be awkwardness, but as they are family members I don't think you will have anything to worry about ( as opposed to strangers).

Everyone is responsible for their own Happiness overall, so don't be worrying about them - they will enjoy it.

Thanks fishy fishy. You are right I can't really make it a happy event for them. I'm just wondering about Christmas Day. They will be coming over at around 2 for Christmas Dinner and I just feel if it's just us it'll be no different to coming together for a Sunday coffee (just a big dinner instead of coffee). It won't be awkward I just wanted to make it a little bit special I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

You could watch a Christmas movie after the meal? Something the MIL would enjoy. Maybe make sure you have a quiet Christmas Carol CD on in the background during dinner etc. to keep the vibe going?

And don't forget the crackers! I find everyone loosens up with a paper hat on their head :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

As cliché as it sounds, you should invest in a few board games, deck of cards, even for over 30s there's great craic in reliving the good old days playing, board games, cards, maybe even darts, trivial pursuit.

Plenty of laughs to be had and a great way to pass time while your bellies are digesting the Christmas Dinner! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

happydayz8 wrote: »
    Thanks fishy fishy. You are right I can't really make it a happy event for them. I'm just wondering about Christmas Day. They will be coming over at around 2 for Christmas Dinner and I just feel if it's just us it'll be no different to coming together for a Sunday coffee (just a big dinner instead of coffee). It won't be awkward I just wanted to make it a little bit special I guess.

christmas day is all bout the dinner (if you have no kids to entertain). I think it sound lovely - four of you enjoying christmas dinner - get them involved in what you are doing. Christmas dinner is basically a Sunday Roast with everyone around - no different. Do you drink wine with dinner? you can linger over the wine after the dinner/dessert has been served. You will be fine - if you worry too much it will ruin it - don't worry and all will be well. And remember, there will be four of you, so you don't' need to be pressurized into "entertaining". There are three others to help you out.

Thanks All for the great ideas. 2 of us drink and 2 don't. I am probably worrying for nothing. But will buy a back up game just if people fancy playing and we've tons of Christmas movies so we'll have a couple of those ready as back up plan. I play Christmas Music from the 14th December onwards so that one is sorted too! :D Ah it will be a lovely Christmas. So far when Christmas has been in my house it's been good!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

happydayz8 wrote: »
    Thanks All for the great ideas. 2 of us drink and 2 don't. I am probably worrying for nothing. But will buy a back up game just if people fancy playing and we've tons of Christmas movies so we'll have a couple of those ready as back up plan. I play Christmas Music from the 14th December onwards so that one is sorted too! :D Ah it will be a lovely Christmas. So far when Christmas has been in my house it's been good!!!

Sounds great! :) Have a great day and be sure to post how you got on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I second the Board/Card games suggestions! Its my favourite thing to do anyway. Lots of fun and very interactive.

Just try and avoid Monopoly, always ends in a row :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Just try and avoid Monopoly, always ends in a row :pac:
    Jesus, you're not wrong! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Well of course you will have to have like your christmas dinner with all trimmings, including crackers that all must wear the hats.. You could also get people involved in perhaps making the desert to make it more fun, ask each to bring something small for dessert and have a pick n mix.

nothing beats a few good table games..If you like word games we got one a while ago called wall grab by Classic Party Games..It is great craic as you have ot keep an eye on what others make. If you had a wii to hand they can be a party rescurer too..Have a forefit for whoever loooses

I'm not Irish but my Christmas Dinner will be :D(don't think you can beat an Irish Christmas Dinner!)

The word game grab sounds great. I'd say they would actually like word games. So I'll keep an eye out for that...
    Thanks all so much for your help. Very kind of you all to take time out and reply!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Some good tips above. Id get everyone involved with the dinner prep.
    Have some music playing. A glass of wine.
    Enjoy the meal then maybe a good xmas dvd like a comedy. Something funny and seasonal.
    The more relaxed people are the more they will enjoy it.

If its possible maybe a cam corder with footage from previous years but maybe avoid any sad moments if applic.

Advertisement