Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp And Mold

Options
  • 19-11-2012 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭

My sister bought an apartment through the affordable housing scheme (Fingal) about 3 years ago. She has had ongoing problems with damp and mold which she reported to the management company etc.

Now her curtain pole has fallen down (because of the damp), there are damp patches on the ceilings and walls as well as white mold. Her son's bedroom furniture is destroyed with mold (its not even against the wall) and items in her own wardrobe have mold on them (again the wardrobes are not leaning against the wall). They have been at the doctors with chest infections etc.

She has been onto the management company regularly who simply aren't doing anything at all. She had a builder friend come in who told her that the insulation they pumped into the walls was only halfway up them and not fully as it should be.

She is on the ground floor and other ground floor apartments are empty. The company is renting out some of them so have been decorating them. She went in to look at one and can see the damp patches on the ceiling in them too.

Is there anything else she can do apart from constantly badgering the management company.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Dovies wrote: »
    My sister bought an apartment through the affordable housing scheme (Fingal) about 3 years ago. She has had ongoing problems with damp and mold which she reported to the management company etc.

Now her curtain pole has fallen down (because of the damp), there are damp patches on the ceilings and walls as well as white mold. Her son's bedroom furniture is destroyed with mold (its not even against the wall) and items in her own wardrobe have mold on them (again the wardrobes are not leaning against the wall). They have been at the doctors with chest infections etc.

She has been onto the management company regularly who simply aren't doing anything at all. She had a builder friend come in who told her that the insulation they pumped into the walls was only halfway up them and not fully as it should be.

She is on the ground floor and other ground floor apartments are empty. The company is renting out some of them so have been decorating them. She went in to look at one and can see the damp patches on the ceiling in them too.

Is there anything else she can do apart from constantly badgering the management company.

I would imagine, as owner, that it's on her to fix the problems, not sure what the management company could do here?

Fingal CoCo as part owners (via affordable housing scheme) would be the other interested party. It could possibly be pursued via the homebond scheme to the builder/developer.

Lack of insulation itself should not cause a mould problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Lack of insulation is beyond the region of the building that the apartment owner actually owns, so I would have thought its a management company issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Lack of insulation is beyond the region of the building that the apartment owner actually owns, so I would have thought its a management company issue.

Yes it is - the management company have said they will look into it. Its been going on since she bought the place so is an issue with all the apartments.

Advertisement