Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work In Canada?

Options
  • 19-11-2012 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hey guys first time poster so go easy on me;)...really thinking about going to Canada next year.My question what would chances of finding work with no degree or trade? i dont care really where in canada as i will be traveling solo.i had been doing an apprenticeship in the trade of Electrical but got let go due to the recession and there not much hope of finding 2 more years work here to finish it off i seem salmonfella is in the same boat fas are soo bloody useless.So tbh i am not up to much the last few months.:o:oSo this has led me to start looking in to going to Canada i have about 4000 saved up so just wondering would i make a better life over there then staying here on the dole?:o i would be willing to work at anything.i no its not great running from Ireland to another country with no degree or trade but i feel i don't have any other choice.thanks anyone who takes there time comment.
    Ross:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

l dont know much about canada sorry but l do know that a group of lads where lm from went over, they were all qualified as plumer, electrian , those kind of trades but one of them had nothing. didnt go to fas or anything just worked in a shop & wasnt allowed a visa thingy to go over & work! had to stay home while the others all went off!

my advice, get trained up as something & stick to it. good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I dont know man, I was at the working abroad expo in Dublin there recently and my degree was worse than useless (admittedly it is media and history) so as far as the employers there were concerned I was pretty much in the same boat as yourself and none of them recommended going out there without something set up in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Thanks for your comments :D..i no my best bet would be to retrain but its a bit easier said then to actually do it i don't have a lot of money or not from a household either that would and i don't have the points either(my own fault i no) so that rules out college and don't really think i would have the interest for it because more then likely when i finish it chances are Ireland will be worse and there will still be no work.so that's why i taught maybe going to Canada with iec visa being up to 24 months now i might be able to make ago of it at something out there. And to not be just left to rot on the dole. thanks to all for comments so far deffo taking it on board:D
    Ross:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Young cub

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Thanks for your comments :D..i no my best bet would be to retrain but its a bit easier said then to actually do it i don't have a lot of money or not from a household either that would and i don't have the points either(my own fault i no) so that rules out college and don't really think i would have the interest for it because more then likely when i finish it chances are Ireland will be worse and there will still be no work.so that's why i taught maybe going to Canada with iec visa being up to 24 months now i might be able to make ago of it at something out there. And to not be just left to rot on the dole. thanks to all for comments so far deffo taking it on board:D
    Ross:)

Ross you should be fine to travel out there, I am currently in australia.. Like yourself.. Didnt finish the trade I was doing and have know other qualifications and im doing fine.. Earning money and saving some.. U just have to be prepared to take the **** jobs as the good.. Dont be too fussy, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 emec

Hey guys first time poster so go easy on me;)...really thinking about going to Canada next year.My question what would chances of finding work with no degree or trade? i dont care really where in canada as i will be traveling solo.i had been doing an apprenticeship in the trade of Electrical but got let go due to the recession and there not much hope of finding 2 more years work here to finish it off i seem salmonfella is in the same boat fas are soo bloody useless.So tbh i am not up to much the last few months.:o:oSo this has led me to start looking in to going to Canada i have about 4000 saved up so just wondering would i make a better life over there then staying here on the dole?:o i would be willing to work at anything.i no its not great running from Ireland to another country with no degree or trade but i feel i don't have any other choice.thanks anyone who takes there time comment.
    Ross:p

There seems to be lots of work in Canada at the moment for laborers. But a lot of it is in the interior and it can be hard living environment. Lifestyle might not be great. To get here you need flights and then 1500 in your bank account. It can also take month or so to set yourself up, that can eat into your savings.
    If you are intent on going somewhere, then I would recommend Australia. Head to Perth where there is loads of construction/mining work and a big enough young Irish community.
    Don't fall into the staying in hostels and drinking every night trap, you will run out of money very quickly!

If you are smart there and save your money, you can head to Canada in 2 years with some money and experience under your belt and make the most of your time.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for ur comment i am hopeing to get work in fort mcmurry in the oil sands i no its hard work but iam not afraid of hard work:D.do you think 4000 would be enough to get me bye? i dont drink:D i think i will go to canada as i dont fancy oz its just to far away:o.. thanks for your comment

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Ross , my advice would be save as much as you can . wait until after winter and get out here its booming in canada. youll get a job right away in alberta or saskatchwan . Ist step is getting your garda clearance for the visa . The IEC opens in Jan its a good idea to have all the paperwork in place before then. Go to go4less or usit they will do all the paper work for like e100.
    Take advantage of FAS even if you get some forklift training your more employable .
    Good luck with it all . I cant recommend Canada enough !

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Young cub

rusheen wrote: »
    Ross , my advice would be save as much as you can . wait until after winter and get out here its booming in canada. youll get a job right away in alberta or saskatchwan . Ist step is getting your garda clearance for the visa . The IEC opens in Jan its a good idea to have all the paperwork in place before then. Go to go4less or usit they will do all the paper work for like e100.
    Take advantage of FAS even if you get some forklift training your more employable .

Hi rusheen, some great info there. Just wondering is it hard to get a bank account set up when in canada? Also to get your sin number? Any other info you have would be great. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Young cub wrote: »
    Hi rusheen, some great info there. Just wondering is it hard to get a bank account set up when in canada? Also to get your sin number? Any other info you have would be great. Cheers

No its simple all you need is a Canadian address ,passport and work visa , for both .you get SIN right away on the day . its a good idea to get SIN right away as it can be used as proof of ID in Canada for getting a phone etc .
    Also get your international driving permit before you leave . its simple ! you get it from AA Travel services Dublin , it costs e10 bascially its a copy of your irish license but very useful over here . go on aa ireland website for full information on how to get .
    get your a copy of your driving history from local county council also get all your driving insurance history details no claims etc .

Thanks very much for your great post.i got a police clearance in oct but i see on the website it has to be within 3 months wen applying for iec so iam gonna go in nxt wek and get a new 1.i have paid go for less the 75euro and have my cv up to date and and so just waiting for the iec to open then touch wood i will get a visa...thanks i will...do u think its hard to get a job in the oil sands? like in fort mcmurry or dat? thanks for your great coment:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

Ross I would strongly advise u to stay well clear of fort mc murray.It is drug and crime riddled.I have friends that went out there and said it was a complete hellhole and no money on earth would keep them there.google it and see for yourself.

Thanks gdavis but iam afraid thats where the real mulla is at :D i dont drink, never touched a drug in me life. Not afraid of hard work so thats why i taught of fort mcmurry.Like surely a lad just goin to work and trying to better himself will be just left alone ? thats all i want:D

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

The cost of living in Fort Mac will quickly absorb the higher wages available.
    Try for Camp work with Fly In Fly Out from Edmonton or Calgary.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ladybird23

The IEC opens in Jan its a good idea to have all the paperwork in place before then. Go to go4less or usit they will do all the paper work for like e100.
    !

Is it possible to do the paper work yourself or is it that complicated you need to get someone to do it for you? Don't want to mess up my application but would do it myself if I could!

hey ladybird u can do it urself i want with go4less was 75euro and they double check it before u send it off as it can be easy enough to make mistakes and if u do it could set u back months :D.. but if u think u would be ok just apply through the canada website:D..

thanks, its hard to know, might be worth my while getting it checked over! Would it be a matter of filling it in and sending it off to go4less and then they send it back to you?

Yea u can make an appointment with them and go in with all your paperwork they will check it our for you and if its ok u can send it off or else fill it all in and send it up to them for checking.the reckon 90 per cent of stuff they get has mistakes i no a bud who filled it in last year made a mess of it and got rejected and by the time he corrected it the visas had run out so i deffo dont want that mistake to happen:D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

if go4less are only 75euro go with them usit are way to much 400 plus you have to book flights with them and i dont think that covers your app fee. If you realy need help then 75 euro doesn't seem that much

Yea u can make an appointment with them and go in with all your paperwork they will check it our for you and if its ok u can send it off

Where are they based to go into them?

ladybird23 wrote: »
    Where are they based to go into them?

Go4Less, 30 Lr Abbey St, Located in the Club Travel Offices @ the lower
    Abbey St. Luas Stop, Dublin 1:D:D

• Advertisement

Was hoping you wouldnt say Dublin....so far away! oh well somthing to consider anyway! Thanks

Hahaha iam from offaly i havent a clue where dat address is in dub either so iam just gonna send away:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

Hahaha iam from offaly i havent a clue where dat address is in dub either so iam just gonna send away:D:D:D

its about a 5/10 min walk from connolly train station and busaras not to hard to get to if you plan on coming to dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

So if the IEC is open in Dec and you've all your paperwork sorted,can you send your application straight away or wait till Jan 1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 shanem4422

Hey. im currently living in Fort McMurray. here for the last 6 months, that talk of drugs and crime is a load of bull****, there is a drugs, crime and homeless element here alright but it is very much in the minority and would say that East Vancouver was the most extreme city i have ever seen for drugs and crime i have seen in the world and i have traveled all over australia, america europe and some of asia and everyone is raving about Vancouver being paradise! The traffic out to the oil fields would be more of a concern to me!
    it is currently quiet for work here compared to summer time, april would be the best time to land here as that is when the thaw starts and people are planning the start up of jobs for summer, Weather conditions are also very harsh here these days at past minus 20 degrees. you will have no bother getting a job in spring.

Try the website www.kijiji.ca for jobs, accomadation etc.

A car is essential here as public transport is extremely basic,
    A UK OR OZ LICENSE IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to get a straight swap for an alberta one, an international drivers permit or irish license is only good for lighting the fire here, most good jobs will require you to be able to drive especially camp jobs in the oil fields and could be the difference between getting a good job and a crap labouring job! not everybody here is on the big bucks, it is a select few in good jobs making. A lot of labour jobs pay 18 to 22 dollars and a lot of those are flat rate no time and half.
    Accomadation is outrageously expensive. at least 1000 dollars to rent a room in somebodys house per month. Thats about 800 euro. We pay 2600 dollars per month for a 2 bed furnished condo. thats about 2100 euro and you will need the same again for the deposit
    Fly in and out jobs from calgary and edmonton are generally for skilled people especially heavy vehicle mechanics that are in serious demand here, they dont generally fly labourers in and out as far as i can see
    i would say you would need 5 grand altogether to get here including flights first months rent and deposit, safety courses to get on site(350 dollars approx) to work work boots have to have a special stamp on them to be allowed on most sites (200 dollars) car 1500 dollars minimum, hotel for first whike your here, 120 dollars minum a night, no hostels here!, eating out 3 times a day till you get a place etc

Dont let all this put you off though, when you are set up here there is some decent money to be made but it is made by long hours and overtime, 12 to 14 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week during the summertime but there is not a lot else to do here so you dont feel your missing out on anything really
    The employment process here seems to be bit different than home, Employers prefer meeting you face to face than reading cvs and it is all about who you know, Safety in the workplace is all these companies talk about and is taken very seriously, everybody is obsessed with safety,

The first 2 months after i arrived i was hemoraging money out and was wondering what the hell have i let myself in for but its coming together now.

i have booked a flight home at christmas and its going to take me 3 stops and approx 20 hours to get from here to dublin and 1300 euro return, so its not exactly a world away from the australia to ireland type of trip, you would have a better lifestyle over there and probably make the same kind of money as the currencies are worth the same these days

Those are the facts as i see them having lived in both places, if your willing to put in the work you will make money here, dont be afraid to sell yourself when applying for jobs.

shanem4422 wrote: »
    Hey. im currently living in Fort McMurray. here for the last 6 months, that talk of drugs and crime is a load of bull****, there is a drugs, crime and homeless element here alright but it is very much in the minority and would say that East Vancouver was the most extreme city i have ever seen for drugs and crime i have seen in the world and i have traveled all over australia, america europe and some of asia and everyone is raving about Vancouver being paradise! The traffic out to the oil fields would be more of a concern to me!
    it is currently quiet for work here compared to summer time, april would be the best time to land here as that is when the thaw starts and people are planning the start up of jobs for summer, Weather conditions are also very harsh here these days at past minus 20 degrees. you will have no bother getting a job in spring.

Try the website www.kijiji.ca for jobs, accomadation etc.

A car is essential here as public transport is extremely basic,
    A UK OR OZ LICENSE IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to get a straight swap for an alberta one, an international drivers permit or irish license is only good for lighting the fire here, most good jobs will require you to be able to drive especially camp jobs in the oil fields and could be the difference between getting a good job and a crap labouring job! not everybody here is on the big bucks, it is a select few in good jobs making. A lot of labour jobs pay 18 to 22 dollars and a lot of those are flat rate no time and half.
    Accomadation is outrageously expensive. at least 1000 dollars to rent a room in somebodys house per month. Thats about 800 euro. We pay 2600 dollars per month for a 2 bed furnished condo. thats about 2100 euro and you will need the same again for the deposit
    Fly in and out jobs from calgary and edmonton are generally for skilled people especially heavy vehicle mechanics that are in serious demand here, they dont generally fly labourers in and out as far as i can see
    i would say you would need 5 grand altogether to get here including flights first months rent and deposit, safety courses to get on site(350 dollars approx) to work work boots have to have a special stamp on them to be allowed on most sites (200 dollars) car 1500 dollars minimum, hotel for first whike your here, 120 dollars minum a night, no hostels here!, eating out 3 times a day till you get a place etc

Dont let all this put you off though, when you are set up here there is some decent money to be made but it is made by long hours and overtime, 12 to 14 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week during the summertime but there is not a lot else to do here so you dont feel your missing out on anything really
    The employment process here seems to be bit different than home, Employers prefer meeting you face to face than reading cvs and it is all about who you know, Safety in the workplace is all these companies talk about and is taken very seriously, everybody is obsessed with safety,

The first 2 months after i arrived i was hemoraging money out and was wondering what the hell have i let myself in for but its coming together now.

i have booked a flight home at christmas and its going to take me 3 stops and approx 20 hours to get from here to dublin and 1300 euro return, so its not exactly a world away from the australia to ireland type of trip, you would have a better lifestyle over there and probably make the same kind of money as the currencies are worth the same these days

Those are the facts as i see them having lived in both places, if your willing to put in the work you will make money here, dont be afraid to sell yourself when applying for jobs.

Great post shane i sent u a pm hope u dont mind:D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭TobyRyan

Hi there, I have a friend heading over to the Prince Albert area of Canada. He went to a job expo in Cork recently and has been offered a job. (literally within 2 hours of sending his CV). He is a heavy duty mechanic with 5 years experience.
    Just wondering if ye have any advise on the area, it seems to be right in the middle of the Northern territories (if thats correct) but the facilities and city itself look really well. Is is slightly isolated? The airport looks to be a regional one?

From what I have seen the Visa application is very straight forward. He has an Irish Bus and Truck license, from what you have been saying above it sounds like he need a separate one for Canada? His contact for the job didn't mention anything like that. Especially since the job he has been offered is primarily to do with buses and Coaches. Perhaps it is different if he is applying through a company?

Any comments would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

I live an hour from PA,

Not quite the NWT area it's actually in Central Saskatchewan
    City has everything you will need in the line of services we do our groceries here most weeks.
    Its a bit rougher than other cities but not that bad really.

The closest international Airport would be in Saskatoon which is 3 hours south of PA.

He will need to swap his liscense to a Saskachewan one within 90 days of arriving.
    This will be a straight swap with no need for the test.
    Not sure about the bus\truck route.
    Do you know which visa type he applying through?

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭TobyRyan

Its a skilled visa as far as I am aware. He must apply through SINP. The company contact has been very helpful regarding any questions we had, bank accounts etc. I just wanted another opinion. The license should be fine I just wasn't sure about the test.

Is it a very expensive place to live? Is the social aspect of it good? He is very sporty, loves cycling and running are there any team sports over there, besides ice hockey ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement