Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server has run out of space, what steps do I take.

Options
  • 19-11-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Someone fixed the server by freeing up space and moving paging files and rebooting on the server, the server had run out of space on the c drive.

I'm just wondering what steps I would have to do to take this actions on the server?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mr.Triffid wrote: »
    Someone fixed the server by freeing up space and moving paging files and rebooting on the server, the server had run out of space on the c drive.

I'm just wondering what steps I would have to do to take this actions on the server?

Thanks
    These would be fairly standard steps on a windows server. Typically servers shouldn't accumulate much crap on the primary partition because they're not in use by general users.
    When windows is installing updates, the information for those updates is downloaded and stored by the server, to allow you to uninstall them at a later date. So you clean up & delete these files to make more space. If you google, "clean up windows installation files", you should be able to find a guide on it.

Moving the paging file is very straightforward, again a google will give you a step-by-step guide. However this can have performance implications, but it depends on the server and what it's used for.

Other things you can clean up are shadow copies and backups. Incorrectly configured backups might mean that you have 20 versions of the system image stored on the primary drive. You can clean these up too so that you delete all but the last good version of the backup, and also configure the backup to save on a different partition.

There are a few other small things, but they're usually the most obvious. There's a little application called "TreeSize" which you can use to analyse where the data is being used on your hard drives. This is really useful for locating those instances where someone has downloaded a 5GB update and saved it to their desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mr.Triffid

seamus wrote: »
    These would be fairly standard steps on a windows server. Typically servers shouldn't accumulate much crap on the primary partition because they're not in use by general users.
    When windows is installing updates, the information for those updates is downloaded and stored by the server, to allow you to uninstall them at a later date. So you clean up & delete these files to make more space. If you google, "clean up windows installation files", you should be able to find a guide on it.

Moving the paging file is very straightforward, again a google will give you a step-by-step guide. However this can have performance implications, but it depends on the server and what it's used for.

Other things you can clean up are shadow copies and backups. Incorrectly configured backups might mean that you have 20 versions of the system image stored on the primary drive. You can clean these up too so that you delete all but the last good version of the backup, and also configure the backup to save on a different partition.

There are a few other small things, but they're usually the most obvious. There's a little application called "TreeSize" which you can use to analyse where the data is being used on your hard drives. This is really useful for locating those instances where someone has downloaded a 5GB update and saved it to their desktop.

It's a microsoft windows 2008 sbs console, if that helps.

Advertisement