Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus looses bid for Heathrow slots to Virgin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Someone mentioned that -CVA may well make an encore for this wet lease.

Two more A320s should also go, having been replaced by A319s.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

donvito99 wrote: »
    Someone mentioned that -CVA may well make an encore for this wet lease.

Two more A320s should also go, having been replaced by A319s.

You might find CVA is already in daily service!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

MoeJay wrote: »
    You might find CVA is already in daily service!!

Ah right! Still trooping on

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

<edit didn't notice someone already posted a link>

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

MAN flights on sale and showing an A319 if a post on airliners can be believed. So it definitely seems that those two ex-IB birds are going to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

basill wrote: »
    Remember the Chairman is in aircraft leasing. Getting hold of short haul airframes isn't that big a deal in the current climate.
    Plenty of aircraft at Dub after being returned from their operators, so finding aircraft will not be a problem.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

This really is a win win for Aerlingus isn't it.

They get paid regardless of flight loads. They have a base in LHR so they can move staff to these routes. Sounds like these flights will fly into T1 so lounge and all operations in the right place.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Zonda999 wrote: »
    But will EI have to source more aircraft to operate this, as well as continuing all their Iirish based operations? Put simply, will EI's total number of short ahual aircraft on their books be more than the current fleet + the two A319's they are due to get early next year?

Otherwise, this is good for EI. One thing though, I really hope this won't worsen relations between EI and BA, which are already on the rocks apparently. I think being abel to codeshare with BA at LHR is very beneficial for Iirsh people, especially those heading to North or South America. Especially so for pax at SNN and ORK. ORK only has one other feeding service into a hub (Being the KLM codeshare into AMS) and SNN only really has LHR as far as I can see..

Codeshare has nothing to do with onward connections though.
    I have flown Aer Lingus to LHR then onto Asia with Cathay/ANZ/Qantas/SIA.
    So I dont understand why people say transfers would be affected.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

afatbollix wrote: »
    This really is a win win for Aerlingus isn't it.

They get paid regardless of flight loads. They have a base in LHR so they can move staff to these routes. Sounds like these flights will fly into T1 so lounge and all operations in the right place.

I would think they would use the Virgin Lounge for these flights?
    I know Id be more than pissed to end up in the Aer Lingus lounge compared to the T1 VA one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

This wet lease operation is merely EI filling a contract for another carrier. On these routes it will be VS competing with BA. The overwhelming majority of the pax will not realise that they are flying on an EI aircraft.

The VS domestic routes were going ahead regardless of who actually operated them so BA will not have issue with EI taking the contract. EI are merely tendering for work, they will have less than expected interest in the commercial viability of the routes as they are getting a flat rate to operate for 3 years. It is entirely up to VS to market the routes and actually compete with BA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

castie wrote: »
    I would think they would use the Virgin Lounge for these flights?
    I know Id be more than pissed to end up in the Aer Lingus lounge compared to the T1 VA one.

VS don't have a lounge in T1. No guarantee that they will be using the EI lounge anyway as the flights may not be departing from the that gate area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

In 2014 Aerlingus and VS domestic will move to T2 When it is finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Flier

...when Aer Lingus leave their 'temporary' accomodation in T1!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Would this have any effect on me as i am planing a trip DUB-LGW[overnight]-LAS next sep. Can i expect to cheak my bags all the way thro from DUB ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Would this have any effect on me as i am planing a trip DUB-LGW[overnight]-LAS next sep. Can i expect to cheak my bags all the way thro from DUB ?

I think the ovenight will stop any bags being checked through to LAS regardless of who you travel with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Twilight cheak-in when i get to LGW so

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

..and no, no impact anyway. Completely seperate things.

Advertisement