Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long lasting foundation

• 19-11-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭

I have an important event coming up in January, early mornings, long busy days of presentations. I've been practicing for it and I find that when I get ready at 7am and then go to present at about 12 my makeup is gone a bit splodgy, if that makes sense! And I will have double days where I won't get time to do a proper top up.

I currently use Rimmel Match Perfection foundation and Benefit Hello Flawless powder. So looking for some kind of combination that will last longer in the day, with just time for a fast powder top up!

Price isn't a huge issue, can ask for Christmas gifts :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Maybe try a primer or a foundation like Estee Lauder Double Wear - it wont budge!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

I've had a couple expensive foundations and while they're really lovely, they just don't last all day on me.

So instead, I've started to buy a liquid concealer (something cheapy like a Maybellene or whatever) and with a sponge just lightly cover my face and then put the foundation on. It gives really good coverage as well as then, when the foundation starts to wear, I still have the nice base so appears to last a lot longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

There's always revlon colorstay too. Can't argue with its staying power. I don't usually use powder with it. Not my favourite foundation but for those times you need long lasting makeup that covers well it's what I go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

Double wear is amazing, get a sample at a counter and see if it works for you

• Registered Users Posts: 18 topsandtails

Foundation would never last more than 4/5 hours on me. Estée Lauder double wear is amazing. All day/night coverage. It's a god send!
    They're usually quite good at giving samples, each sample lasts 5/7 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

If the Double Wear is too heavy for you (it is for me, I tried it and it went all lumpy and patchy), the Double Wear Light might work. Lasts all day. I used it on the day of my wedding and in the photos in the residents bar I still have my makeup on. As Topsandtails said, Estee Lauder are great for giving the foundation samples.

I also like the Mac Studio Fix powder for getting rid of shine during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Revlon Colourstay is fantastic at staying in place all day.

Investing in a good primer is a must (for me anyway).

Moisturise the skin, allow it to sink in. Prime the face, wait maybe a minute before putting on foundation. Apply foundation (I find a brush or sponge best), then concealer, then do all the rest of the face (eyes etc) and very last step should be powder. You should only need a quick touch up once throughout the day (I tend to just apply another dusting of powder and see if I need a little extra concealer anywhere).

Getting a primer and foundation that is reight for your skin type is a must or you may end up with everything either getting dry and patchy or sliding off your face. Most foundations have a choice of "oily" and "dry" so make sure you get the right one! Another thing that you may not realise you are doing is touching your face, this really wears off foundation and can leave you looking patchy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

Another vote for Revlon Colourstay, I've been using it for a couple of years now and after trying other ones I always go back to it. Though I haven't tried Double Wear.

Definitely a good primer is a must! I find a good primer on my skin makes every foundation better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Thanks! I don't wear a lot of makeup, never used primer, but want to look my best for this event without looking like I used a trowel to apply it all :pac:

Will try your suggestions :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

+1 for DoubleWear.

I've tried so many different foundations over the years, must have spent a fortune, until I tried DoubleWear and I was amazed..kept looking at myself in the mirror the first day I used it :o cos I couldn't believe how flawless it was.
    It lasted from early morning to late night too, with no smudging and still looked fresh.

I fell in love with it and at €35 it was a bit dearer than foundations I'd used before, but as a little goes a long way, I don't need to buy it so often.

You can ask at the Estee Lauder counter what shade you'd need (they'll apply some shades to the back of your hand) and you can request a free take-home sample bottle before you buy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

There is 10% off beauty on debenhams website if you are going to go for a high-end one like Doublewear. (bringing Doublewear down to €30.60) (Was going to order myself but the shade I want still isn't back in stock)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jenniferalan

+1 on the Double Wear Light, it is very long lasting and bottle lasts ages if u use a good brush instead of a sponge. I found the original Double wear didn't look natural on me

However, I got a sales assistant to try on a Chanel foundation on me (recommended by a friend) one morning in Brown Thomas, then when I was going out that night it was still perfect so used it as base. At the end of the night it hadn't slid off my face either like other foundations from the heat in pubs. Im not 100pc but think the name was Chanel lumiere (sp) and it was about 45-50euro.

Op do u have pale skin? The Chanel range seem slightly dark for my skin for during the day but suits at night for Colour matching with tan

lindtee wrote: »
    There is 10% off beauty on debenhams website if you are going to go for a high-end one like Doublewear. (bringing Doublewear down to €30.60) (Was going to order myself but the shade I want still isn't back in stock)

You're not waiting for Shell by any chance are you?
    (Was discontinued but now it's coming back due to customer demand)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

kandr10 wrote: »
    There's always revlon colorstay too. Can't argue with its staying power. I don't usually use powder with it. Not my favourite foundation but for those times you need long lasting makeup that covers well it's what I go to.

Sorry, but how does the makeup stay on if you don't use powder to set it? I use revlon colourstay and if I didn't put a powder over it, it would be gone within a few hours and my face would be really shiny - I'm just interested to know, I presumed that everybody uses powder over their foundation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

another doublewear fan here :)

leahyl wrote: »
    Sorry, but how does the makeup stay on if you don't use powder to set it? I use revlon colourstay and if I didn't put a powder over it, it would be gone within a few hours and my face would be really shiny - I'm just interested to know, I presumed that everybody uses powder over their foundation!

If you've got the right foundation you won't need powder.
    DoubleWear is so good and long lasting and also flawless that you dont need powder to set it.
    Ask for a sample at your local Estee Lauder counter

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

I use Micabella's mineral foundation. Can't imagine wearing a liquid one now, it feels so light and lovely and lasts very well if you use a primer underneath :)

I find with the colorstay I don't need it as its mattifying enough for my liking. I used to powder it out of habit more than anything but found it was making my makeup more full coverage when I really prefer medium. So I stopped using powder and liked the finish and it lasted same amount of time. I do powder with the bourjois healthy mix though as its creamier. I guess that's the thing about giving recommendations esp for foundation - its such an individual thing and two people can have different reactions.

fussyonion wrote: »
    If you've got the right foundation you won't need powder.
    DoubleWear is so good and long lasting and also flawless that you dont need powder to set it.
    Ask for a sample at your local Estee Lauder counter

I'd have to disagree with you there - I'd have to have powder otherwise my makeup just wouldn't stay on - all the times you might touch your face during the day or are out in bad weather - I can't imagine any foundation staying put without a powder and your face would be very shiny - that's just my opinion though.:)

I have no problem with my makeup, I was just curious about why people don't use powder I guess. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

I'd have to disagree with you there - I'd have to have powder otherwise my makeup just wouldn't stay on - all the times you might touch your face during the day or are out in bad weather - I can't imagine any foundation staying put without a powder and your face would be very shiny - that's just my opinion though.:)

I have no problem with my makeup, I was just curious about why people don't use powder I guess. :pac:

Powdering depends on your skin type and the foundation. I know people with dry skin that never ever use powder as their make up stays on and on. On the other hand, I know people with really oily skin that have to powder even Revlon ColourStay or Estee Lauder Double Wear. So, it really depends on the person.

The only foundation that I can use w/o powdering is Revlon ColourStay, which I use very rarely as I don't like the feel of it and generally don't like heavy coverage. (Even that slides off after 4 hours w/o powder.) Everything else, I need a powder on top, from Bourjois Healthy Mix to YSL Touche Eclat to even Dior Nude, which many girls w/ dry skin use w/o powder. And I'm not even that oily.

Besides ColourStay and Double Wear, I heard that Clarins Everlasting and Ever Matte are pretty long lasting too.

• Advertisement

Powdering depends on your skin type and the foundation. I know people with dry skin that never ever use powder as their make up stays on and on. On the other hand, I know people with really oily skin that have to powder even Revlon ColourStay or Estee Lauder Double Wear. So, it really depends on the person.

The only foundation that I can use w/o powdering is Revlon ColourStay, which I use very rarely as I don't like the feel of it and generally don't like heavy coverage. (Even that slides off after 4 hours w/o powder.) Everything else, I need a powder on top, from Bourjois Healthy Mix to YSL Touche Eclat to even Dior Nude, which many girls w/ dry skin use w/o powder. And I'm not even that oily.

Besides ColourStay and Double Wear, I heard that Clarins Everlasting and Ever Matte are pretty long lasting too.

I have been using Revlon Colourstay since I started wearing makeup and I could never wear it without powder - the look of a liquid foundation without a powder is awful in my opinon - at least on me it is - I'd feel naked without it!I don't find it too heavy either - I wear it by day and at night also for going out but just put more on and it's perfect.

Different strokes for different folks I guess:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

just wondering is there any long lasting foundation that has a more dewy finish as I find teh double wear very matt or is the very nature of a long wearing foundation matt?

molly09 wrote: »
    just wondering is there any long lasting foundation that has a more dewy finish as I find teh double wear very matt or is the very nature of a long wearing foundation matt?

I think that's the nature of the long wear foundations. What about mixing in a little bit of a liquid highlighter/ luminous lotion like the becca one or benefit highbeam for a more dewy finish? Not sure how that would affect lasting power though. Alternatively add highlight over the foundation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Thanks kandr10 I will try the highbeam with it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

If I am going somewhere or doing something and I know I won't be able to touch up my make up much or I need it to last a long time I wear these:

2012-12-04203910.jpg

Lancome Teint Miracle, Lancome long-lasting concealer, Lancome powder and then I mist my face with Urban Decay All Nighter. I didn't think I would like the UD All Nighter, I figured that it would make my face wet and make my make-up run but it's really good. It sets your make up and it won't shift. I tested it by putting on my make-up, putting on my bike helmet, spending a day in Court running around the place, helmet back on and my make up was still in tact at the end of the day.

Edit: I also use Urban Decay Pore Perfecting Primer. Feels silky and makes my make-up go on very nice:)

Advertisement